Rest in silicon heaven my friend! i7 920 D0

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
Just want to give my i7-920 a proper send off as it officially bit the dust yesterday after over 8 solid years of every day use and more heavy gaming sessions than I could hope to count. Starting the journey to 4.4ghz @ 1.36vcore on water and ended with stability issues the past year or so requiring a steady down-clock to an eventual 3.8ghz late last year..

Thanks to all the people over the years on this forum that have encouraged and continued to push hardware to it's limit, the x58 guides back in the day were a huge help to get it stable over 4.3. It's been the best CPU I've ever owned, and that includes the crazy overclocking Barton 2500mobile.

I wonder if anything will have that much longevity again.

81526104.gif

RIP.

Mine is chugging along at almost 8 years too. Mine was kinda moody above 4.0 so I dialed in at 3.8 and that what it has been running all this time.

Best CPU I have ever owned.

Just a heads up, if the motherboard is good, you may be able to drop in a xeon hexcore x5660. 32$ on ebay
They are 32nm CPUs, run cooler than the 45nm and they overclock real well.
All a Asus, Gigabyte run xeons, EVGA classified3- FTW3- SLI3 run xeons out the box, the others depend of revision or need a hard mod.

Just want to give my i7-920 a proper send off as it officially bit the dust yesterday after over 8 solid years of every day use and more heavy gaming sessions than I could hope to count. Starting the journey to 4.4ghz @ 1.36vcore on water and ended with stability issues the past year or so requiring a steady down-clock to an eventual 3.8ghz late last year..

Thanks to all the people over the years on this forum that have encouraged and continued to push hardware to it's limit, the x58 guides back in the day were a huge help to get it stable over 4.3. It's been the best CPU I've ever owned, and that includes the crazy overclocking Barton 2500mobile.

I wonder if anything will have that much longevity again.
Wow impressive oc on that running for 8 years. I had mine at 3.8Ghz. I could get 4Ghz but required way too much voltage to get there.

Just a heads up, if the motherboard is good, you may be able to drop in a xeon hexcore x5660. 32$ on ebay
They are 32nm CPUs, run cooler than the 45nm and they overclock real well.
All a Asus, Gigabyte run xeons, EVGA classified3- FTW3- SLI3 run xeons out the box, the others depend of revision or need a hard mod.
I'm probably going to retire the board (Rampage 3 Formula), or give it away to a friends kid. The first x58 board I had (whatever the release gigabyte one was) I was never quite happy with. It was sold when the R3F was released, I want to say sometime in 2010, has been rock solid since.

I'm not going to replace the processor, it's been so long with this form factor that I've really want to downsize for a long time but never really had a reason. The current case is a watercooled Silverstone FT02 that weighs like 50lbs, it's just too large and bulky. I haven't run dual GPU's since the 6970's, so probably going to get something mATX in one of those nondescript smaller fractal cases, can at least stuff 400mm of rad space in there pretty easily. I have always thought about a really small mITX build in something like the nCase M1, but it looks like that would be more frustration to build properly than joy.

I have 930 OC.. Running 3.9 Ghz right now.. at some point i think it was 4 or more GHz aswell.. been running about 24/7 since August 2010 when i got it.. Runs nicely! With same asus rampage 3 extreme mobo :happy::happy::happy::happy:Those things loves to be abused! ^^

I recently replaced my i7 930 with a xeon x5660 @ 4.0 ghz. It is like a new build. Never in my imagination did I know I would keep this X58 platform this long and that I could get so much performance for a $35 dollar investment 7 years later.

I recently replaced my i7 930 with a xeon x5660 @ 4.0 ghz. It is like a new build. Never in my imagination did I know I would keep this X58 platform this long and that I could get so much performance for a $35 dollar investment 7 years later.
Yeah I've read about those xeon drop-ins and how good they actually are. Still undecided on a platform and not too fond of some of the platform troubles I'm seeing from team red right now (ram), nor the IHS nonsense taking place with non-HEDP Intel.

Some irony that the 920 had been so good for so long, is that more testament to it or against the lineage after it.

Running an eBay x5675 @ 3.3Ghz with all cores enabled. Was running at 3.4Ghz but was never 24/7 stable. 3.3 is the sweet spot for me. Had another xeon prior and a 920 DO before that. All on the same socket.

I want to upgrade more than I need to. Just not sure when. At first it was when optane gets released now it might be when DDR5 gets released. I came from a Barton too. Such a great chip. Equally good as well but because performance has flat-lined socket 1366 gives the illusion of being better.

I personally skipped the i7 9 series as I couldn't afford it at the time, looks like it was a great value seeing how long it is still viable.
I went from a Q6600 @ 3.xx GHz to the i7 870. I usually have to sell the old parts to afford the next upgrade.

Out of curiosity, did your system just completely black out when the i7 finally gave?

I'm still on my i7 920 D0 for about the same amount of time +/- a year. But I've always kept it at 3.8 since that required no addl voltage and stood up to intel burn test just fine. I am now considering an upgrade but the i7 can still power through games like Ark at high and some epic settings.

RIP

My friend is still running my old i7 920 D0, 4.3ghz as well, though it's had a fair amount of time off between sitting in a cupboard and then my friend not knowing there was an OC profile on the mobo for the first year he had it.

Back