Responsive burner?

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
I've noticed drives sometimes seem to be getting slower and slower as the years go by in terms of recognizing media and working with it. The burn speeds get faster, at least for sequential operations, but in many other ways the drives don't feel much improved over the course of a decade.

So, that said, any suggestions on a drive model that's very fast not so much simply in terms of burning speed, but in terms of overall responsiveness and handling of media?

Unrelated question, any suggestions on good fora for people who are obsessive / nutty about optical drives? Might be a good place for me to scan for opinions as well.

Seconded on the Lite-On suggestion, and if you get one, make sure to pop into the CDFreaks forum and look around for custom firmware which adds some features and improves performance. There's also the ability to modify the firmware to allow for faster burning speeds on some types/brands of media as well. I used the app (Media Speed Code Edit is the name) and get 20x burns off 16x rated media (Ritek F16 DVD+R blanks) and still have consistently high quality burns.

Good luck...

^Joe. watch out for those Riteks. Not the longest lasting media in the world :)

Back