Responsibility for Twitter Worm Claimed by Teen

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Apparently, a “worm” has made its way around the Twitter-sphere, infecting profiles and sending a message to the profile owner’s friends to visit a certain website. Mikeyy Mooney, the alleged creator, said he did it out of boredom. Nice.

“I am the person who coded the XSS which then acted as a worm when it auto updated a users profile and status, which then infected other users who viewed their profile. I did this out of boredom, to be honest. I usually like to find vulnerabilities within websites and try not to cause too much damage, but start a worm or something to give the developers an insight on the problem and while doing so, promoting myself or my website.”

15 minutes of fame for the potential of 15 years of federal pound me in the ass prison. Not smart son. Find a better way to make money,

15 minutes of fame for the potential of 15 years of federal pound me in the ass prison. Not smart son. Find a better way to make money,
Now his cell mate gets to find his backdoor "vulnerabilities", LoL :D

I don't get it. Does driving traffic to your site really make any money if its done illegally? What advertiser's going to fork over cash after the know of the traffic fraud?

Either way that plan was flawed. In the end if the kid's that good and not a fluke he'll have a decent future if he keeps out of trouble.

Since he is 17...I wonder will he be tried as an adult?
If he does go to prison....his cell mate already has the back door password.

Or get a job offer for finding security flaws.

Doubt it, most white hat penetration testing security companies go to great lengths to prove and certify that all their white hat hackers have NEVER EVER done harm/black hat hacking.

I don't get it. Does driving traffic to your site really make any money if its done illegally? What advertiser's going to fork over cash after the know of the traffic fraud?

The same ones that advertise on torrent/warez sites.

he's not the one going to be doing "white hat penetration" while in prison won't he? ;)

Doubt it, most white hat penetration testing security companies go to great lengths to prove and certify that all their white hat hackers have NEVER EVER done harm/black hat hacking.

One would think so, but it does seem that every now and then one fo the black hats does seem to get a job as a white hat.

Back