Respawn to Unveil New Battle Royale Game Today

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Today, multiple media sources are claiming that the Titanfall devs will reveal a new battle royale game called "Apex" today. Eurogamer says respawn will steam a teaser at 10 AM central time, while the full reveal will happen 12 hours later. On Twitter, Nibel claims that it will be "a mix between Blackout and Siege," while Rod Breslau says that it will feature "classes/heroes with unique abilities, maximum of 60 players per server, maximum of 3 players per team (trios) to compliment each other. No titans. Just as Titanfall and Titanfall 2, Apex Legends will run on a modified version of Valve's Source engine."

Check out Apex's Twitch channel here.

Looks like everything is unlocked now? Fun. So, if you like Respawn, our games or even me, you should tune in tomorrow. Our stream starts at 8am pt and we’ll tell you everything about Apex Legends. Everything.

There is a large number of games trying to get a piece of the battle royale pie. But then again, you could've said, "Oh thank goodness, another team deathmatch game..." for the past 20 years.

The difference is the reason BR is popular. The reason it got so popular is the same reason COD got so popular: It increases randomness to reduce the skill gap between novices and experts. This makes the game more approachable to a broad audience and therefore more popular as a whole. Secondarily, BR caters to the fundamental instinct of novice gamers to camp. The best strategy for most BR games is to basically hide and camp until you have 1 decent gun, preserve your health and healing kits, then come out and kill the last few people who were hopefully killing eachother. Glorifying camping is distasteful to me and brings problems to any other genre. These are the people in CS Go that won't go in and defuse, they're the people in BF that won't push on rush, they're the people on RTS games that just build a small base and cram more and more crap inside and never help push against the enemy. I could go on but I'm sure you get my point.

The difference is the reason BR is popular. The reason it got so popular is the same reason COD got so popular: It increases randomness to reduce the skill gap between novices and experts. This makes the game more approachable to a broad audience and therefore more popular as a whole. Secondarily, BR caters to the fundamental instinct of novice gamers to camp. The best strategy for most BR games is to basically hide and camp until you have 1 decent gun, preserve your health and healing kits, then come out and kill the last few people who were hopefully killing eachother. Glorifying camping is distasteful to me and brings problems to any other genre. These are the people in CS Go that won't go in and defuse, they're the people in BF that won't push on rush, they're the people on RTS games that just build a small base and cram more and more crap inside and never help push against the enemy. I could go on but I'm sure you get my point.
It's also a brand new game mode that is different than TDM. I'm not saying your points are invalid, but TDM has been an exhausted multiplayer mode that people have been playing for decades. Battle Royale attracted many players, both campers and non-campers, because it was something different.

I've had my fair share of battle royale gameplay (PUBG, Black Out, Fortnite), and honestly, I experience just as many campers in those game as I did TDM. People who want to go out and actively kill other players do so the same in BR as they do in TDM, and those that want to camp are the same. Not to mention the circle mechanic in BR games doesn't allow a player to permanently sit in a single spot the entire game and camp like TDM often allows.

Last edited:
I don't mind this being an option to play along side the normal ones. I still think TDM makes more sense and for me I very much dislike having to "find" randomized weapons/armor/health just to survive.

Since gaming became an industry, games have been getting increasingly more 'accessible', i.e. gameplay mechanics put in solely to disadvantage a player for the sake of randomness.

I absolutely HATE randomness in games! :mad:

Mario Kart rubber banding! AGH! :banghead: I've literally kicked friends out of my house over that one! :LOL::p

It's also a brand new game mode that is different than TDM. I'm not saying your points are invalid, but TDM has been an exhausted multiplayer mode that people have been playing for decades. Battle Royale attracted many players, both campers and non-campers, because it was something different.

I've had my fair share of battle royale gameplay (PUBG, Black Out, Fortnite), and honestly, I experience just as many campers in those game as I did TDM. People who want to go out and actively kill other players do so the same in BR as they do in TDM, and those that want to camp are the same. Not to mention the circle mechanic in BR games doesn't allow a player to permanently sit in a single spot the entire game and camp like TDM often allows.

I have a friend who is a PUBG "veteran" I guess you could say where he has a fair amount of first place finishes and he loves the BR genre. I told him, let's play together so you can show me the strategy. The "strategy" is literally land somewhere nobody else is, loot as best you can and hide. If the circle is on you keep hiding, if it's off you, run silently to that area and keep hiding. Don't engage anyone ever until the last 3 minutes. 70% luck (the circle, finding weapons, etc...) and 30% skill (what routes to take without being spotted, knowing where weapons spawn inside a house, and being able to aim shots in the last 3 minutes).

I definitely get that it's "new" kind of like how Overwatch basically took League and made it an FPS and now it's popular. So I get that the freshness attracts people; however, my personal belief is that it's not the "freshness" that is getting so many people into BR it's that the genre literally caters to bringing in the largest amount of people possible. I don't have a problem with that, capitalism is capitalism. That's the dev's job. Same reason we keep getting more clones, everyone wants a piece of the pie. Same way after Vitamin water sold to Coke for $4.1B everyone and their mom wanted to make a drink business. So the genre is over-saturated for me personally but, to your point, maybe we will have this for another 20 years.

ahhhhh. So this front page story is the one with the auto playing video. Took me a while to find it within all my opened tabs.

ahhhhh. So this front page story is the one with the auto playing video. Took me a while to find it within all my opened tabs.

I was wondering where that wind sound was coming from until I paused this video, quite annoying.

Secondarily, BR caters to the fundamental instinct of novice gamers to camp. The best strategy for most BR games is to basically hide and camp until you have 1 decent gun, preserve your health and healing kits, then come out and kill the last few people who were hopefully killing eachother. Glorifying camping is distasteful to me and brings problems to any other genre. These are the people in CS Go that won't go in and defuse, they're the people in BF that won't push on rush, they're the people on RTS games that just build a small base and cram more and more crap inside and never help push against the enemy. I could go on but I'm sure you get my point.

While I can understand the sentiment here, Fortnite is pretty much the biggest game on the planet and this is not at all good advice for winning its BR mode. The most aggressive players dunk on the campers all day long. If a game is designed in such a way that camping is rewarded then it's on the devs, not something inherent to BR.

Ads are popping up in this even when I didn't click on it. If possible make it so streams have to be clicked on first to access them

I don't know about others but the BR market has been around long enough and has become over-saturated that I've lost interest. I play them now and again but like a cycle I've moved back into single player games mostly.

I don't know about others but the BR market has been around long enough and has become over-saturated that I've lost interest. I play them now and again but like a cycle I've moved back into single player games mostly.
I moved to mostly single player games because I've noticed that the older I'm getting the worse I am at competitive online games. Only play competitive multiplayer games when I need to satisfy the itch to do so. Otherwise I mainly play single player and co-op games.

I play pubg with some friends, and it's a hoot. While camping is a strategy, it's not something we do. Typically the only camping we do is on the outside perimeter of the circle to pick off people trying to escape the storm.

It's a cool game mode, and if I can't have a proper successor to Team Fortress, battle royale will do.

While I can understand the sentiment here, Fortnite is pretty much the biggest game on the planet and this is not at all good advice for winning its BR mode. The most aggressive players dunk on the campers all day long. If a game is designed in such a way that camping is rewarded then it's on the devs, not something inherent to BR.

I didn't play that much Fortnite as soon as I realized I coudln't shoulder swap in a pvp 3rd person shooter so I will take your word for it that camping isn't a valid strategy.

My other point about skill compression is still valid. When they did that huge Fortnite tournament, there was no rhyme or reason to the final outcome of the match versus if you put a bunch of instagram models against korean CSGO players, the outcome would be much more predictable.

My other point about skill compression is still valid. When they did that huge Fortnite tournament, there was no rhyme or reason to the final outcome of the match versus if you put a bunch of instagram models against korean CSGO players, the outcome would be much more predictable.

This is why you can't paint every game in a given genre with the same brush. You seem to be suggesting that there is a lower skill ceiling on these games since there are elements of RNG (weapon/health spawns, circle locations, etc.). In Fortnite you could have your dream loadout due to RNG and still get lit up by someone with a shotgun and better building skills. "A bunch of instagram models" playing BR against pro players would result in a victory for the pro players unless some totally wacky combination of things happened. Sure, anyone can win a round here and there, but the skilled players get more kills and are far more consistent.

Posted this in the other thread, but it bears repeating here. Titanfall without Titans is just another Battle Royale clone. It's missing the one unique thing that made Titanfall great (Titans) so I'll pass. Let me know when they have a Battle Royale game *WITH* Titans and I'll get in on that in a heartbeat. :)

Looks nice not sure how it's going to be different from the rest of the Pack but it might catch on. I think the Planetside 2 Arena will go over bigger though if it promoted enough.

Sure, anyone can win a round here and there, but the skilled players get more kills and are far more consistent.

Right but in a competitive game, if 5 random people from this forum played the Golden State Warriors, would we "win a game here and there"? No. Because that is a game of pure skill. My point is the instagram models shouldn't even win 1% of games. They should win 0% of games.

I guess the best analogy is that Fortnite is like playing poker. Some guys make it to the final table often which shows there is a skill element. Some of those same guys sometimes get eliminated in the first round.

edit: I reread your post and would add that as far as the skill ceiling it is 100% compressed. That is the entire point of the genre and why it's so popular. I will try to find it but there is a great article where they interview some of the COD developers and they flat out said they increased weapon spread, made recoil more random, etc... in order to cap the best players so that the new players "had a chance" and that's what helped make it so popular.

I'm not saying fortnite doesn't have a high skill ceiling, I have seen guys build towers in a split second and twitch noscope someone with the sniper rifle. I am saying that skill ceiling is lower due to the randomness introduced into the game, on purpose, by the developers than it would be without such randomness.

Last edited:
A year later:
"Respawn to fill for bankruptcy following the failure of it's latest BR title..."

Posted this in the other thread, but it bears repeating here. Titanfall without Titans is just another Battle Royale clone. It's missing the one unique thing that made Titanfall great (Titans) so I'll pass. Let me know when they have a Battle Royale game *WITH* Titans and I'll get in on that in a heartbeat. :)

At minimum they should have kept pilot movement. I would give this game a shot if it had bunny hopping, wall running, etc.. I was watching Dr Disrespect play on twitch and he had trouble climbing a 10 foot wall at one point. With Pilot movement? He would have been up that in a blink. Not sure why they would take out the movement... feels like that would have been the big thing to stand out. I do like that the game seems to auto equip weapon attachments, that is kind of cool.

Right but in a competitive game, if 5 random people from this forum played the Golden State Warriors, would we "win a game here and there"? No. Because that is a game of pure skill. My point is the instagram models shouldn't even win 1% of games. They should win 0% of games.

I guess the best analogy is that Fortnite is like playing poker. Some guys make it to the final table often which shows there is a skill element. Some of those same guys sometimes get eliminated in the first round.

edit: I reread your post and would add that as far as the skill ceiling it is 100% compressed. That is the entire point of the genre and why it's so popular. I will try to find it but there is a great article where they interview some of the COD developers and they flat out said they increased weapon spread, made recoil more random, etc... in order to cap the best players so that the new players "had a chance" and that's what helped make it so popular.

I'm not saying fortnite doesn't have a high skill ceiling, I have seen guys build towers in a split second and twitch noscope someone with the sniper rifle. I am saying that skill ceiling is lower due to the randomness introduced into the game, on purpose, by the developers than it would be without such randomness.

Your original point was that BR games cater to and even glorify campers, and you went on to say that these types of players are all the worst players in other genres - which is not true for Fortnite and, after playing some rounds of Apex last night, it's not true for that game either.

The point of the video I linked was to show a high level player explaining his tactics live while also winning a game. Good players do things to mitigate the randomness, but 100 different situations in a single match is going to produce far more chaotic results than basketball or CS:GO where the starting positions are always the same, the maps are always the same, etc. I've seen matches where all the good players manage to kill each other leaving some random person the winner, but such is the nature of BR. If anything, it takes more skill to win consistently in such an environment, not less.

Stuff like bloom has been implemented to prevent experienced players from lazering noobs, but Fortnite has also added first shot accuracy to reduce that RNG and experienced players can take advantage of that. Accessibility is not inherently a bad thing, especially when the skill ceiling is still sky high.

ObmQG.gif

Back