Resource lite network based KVM?

compudocs

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know of any network based KVM software that is lite on the system resources? I often have more PC's I need to work on and not enough ports on my 8-port KVM. I know I'll need any machien I install this on to be on the KVM to set it up but then I can move lower priority systems off the bench and just need a power cord and network cable attached to them after the primary installation/setup. I know there is Logmein and stuff but I don't want anything internet based, I want something network based if possible so I don't need to have the machien online during any point in the installation/use of the software should the net go down for any reason.

I was looking at something like this for myself at one point but it's very expensive.

What you probably want is an IP KVM. Basically you have a client that kinda acts like you would be VNCed into the computer, except it's done at the keyboard/mouse/video level, not at a software level so you can be installing an OS or booting up the PC and going into the bios etc.

Hmm, the IP KVM would be nice indeed, know of any specific products for this?

I don't know of any specific ones other then Dell and IBM ones, but you're probably looking at a couple grand for that, and it's very proprietary. Not something I'd want for at home. A single set of cables runs you a few hundred bucks.

Here's one that may work:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3748395&CatId=600

I'm sure there are USB ones too, I just found this one. I can't say for sure if that's a good one or not as I've never used it. Once I build my server room I will most likely look into something similar. The nice thing is that it's IP based so the computers can be away from where you are actually working from. Keep the noise and heat away from your workspace.

Back