Resolution changes when monitor shuts off

provoko

Gawd
EDIT: I found the culprit, it was DISPLAYPORT!!! After switching to DVI, I found my windows don't resize after turning the monitor on/off. WTF is wrong with displayport????

Strange problem, when I shut off and turn on my monitor I notice all my icons and windows resize as if I had changed my resolution. It's a new Dell U2410 1920 x 1200. When I shut it off I suspect the monitor is going into 1024 x 768.

Some screen shots:
This is what my desktop normally looks like in 1920 x 1200
This is what my desktop looks like after I shut off and turn on my monitor
This is what my desktop normally looks like in 1024 x 768

Notice that window size equal each other in the last 2 screenshots which means my monitor is going into a lower resolution when I turn off/on my monitor. WHILE IN SUSPEND everything is fine, Isn't that really weird??

What is happening when I push that button and how do I fix it?

Thank you for any help.

PS By the way I'm using the latest video drivers, monitor drivers, Windows 7 64x, and displayport.

Last edited:
This does not happen to me every time I turn mine off, but about half the time when leaving it off overnight... goes to the same res too, 1024x768.
Dell U2711 by the way.

I found the culprit, it was displayport!!! After switching to DVI, I found my window sizes and icon location don't change any longer after turning the monitor on/off.

WTF is wrong with displayport????

I have the latest ATI drivers & monitor drivers. I'm thinking it's a bug with display port technology. Maybe Hardocp can confirm this?

I have exactly the same problem. You even hear the Windows sound for unplugging hardware when you turn off the U2410 when using Displayport.

Is this a videocard, windows or Monitor bug? I haven't been able to find much on this subject.

I found the culprit, it was displayport!!! After switching to DVI, I found my window sizes and icon location don't change any longer after turning the monitor on/off.

WTF is wrong with displayport????

I have the latest ATI drivers & monitor drivers. I'm thinking it's a bug with display port technology. Maybe Hardocp can confirm this?

More than likely, here's someone with a 3008FPW having the same issue with a Radeon 5870 and DisplayPort. The same card I have and he has a different monitor, as I have u2711.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Branch&catid=260&threadid=133189

AMD needs to address this. Having all my windows in the top left corner after turning the monitor on in the morning is plenty annoying.

I have this issue, and it's a huge pain. I have 2x 5770 and when I had 1x5770 - same problem. I am using a passive DP->VGA adapter. I'd say more than 50% of the time I boot into vista I get cloned view on all 3 monitors 640x480 and I can't change resolution.. I found that if I'm having this problem I usually have to unplug the displayport/vga adapter and replug it in.

Really annoying when you get it working - and reboot to have to screw around with it for 20 minutes.

I blame it on ATI drivers... because so far they've been a pain to get eyefinity working for me.

More than likely, here's someone with a 3008FPW having the same issue with a Radeon 5870 and DisplayPort. The same card I have and he has a different monitor, as I have u2711.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Branch&catid=260&threadid=133189

AMD needs to address this. Having all my windows in the top left corner after turning the monitor on in the morning is plenty annoying.

Yes, everything ends up in the top left corner, ARGH. Yeah, I'm going to stick with DVI until they fix it, so far there isn't any advantage.

Just to update -- I just put together a new machine with an nVidia GTX 570 with DisplayPort connected to an HP LP2475w monitor. For the most part, this only occurs when waking up the monitor from sleep mode, but sometimes it does happen during boot. Windows tells me the monitor is running at native resolution but the monitor runs at 640x480. I have a second DVI connected monitor that never has trouble. Using the second monitor with DVI, I am able to fix the resolution on the DisplayPort monitor.

I find that everything works if I press the monitor's input select button to wake the display before I touch the keyboard or the mouse to end sleep mode. It's as if there is some kind of communication from the PC to the monitor that includes the correct resolution which is being missed by the monitor during the normal wake process. I have a feeling the problem may be with the monitor's firmware -- DisplayPort was pretty new when I bought my monitor.

Last edited:
Same problem here w/ the u2410. I use shiftwindow to move my Chrome window back in place, and the desktop gadgets seem to revert to their original positions, but the windows on my main monitor get moved. Very annoying.

The DP Disconnect annoys me as well since I run triples with the DP monitor in the middle.
I have certain programs I have running on the left and right screens and when I turn off the DP monitor, the left screen becomes primary and most of the stuff moves over there, when I turn on the DP monitor, everything that was on the left screen gets moved to my DP monitor since it is now the Primary again.

you could also turn your monitors off (standby) using a hotkey
no need to send the whole pc into sleep mode

The same things happens to me (u2711 on displayport). Would really like to use DP with its thin cables and small connectors, so I hope AMD addresses this issue.

Someone said Catalyst 12.2 (preview) can fix it ... but I still have the same problem after upgrading ...

Dp acts as a pnp device. So turning off the monitor disconnects it from the computer and reconnects when its turned. Just let it go imto sleep if you want to use dp.

I have exactly the same problem. You even hear the Windows sound for unplugging hardware when you turn off the U2410 when using Displayport.

Is this a videocard, windows or Monitor bug? I haven't been able to find much on this subject.

Update to 2014... EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB and BenQ GW2765HT @ 2560x1440.

Exact same thing... monitor goes down to powersave, sound like USB device removal, and when I wake it up by moving the mouse, all windows are crammed into the top left corner of the desktop at probably 1024x768.

Really frustrating to come back to my machine and have to resize everything all the time. One would think that this kind of issue MIGHT have been caught in testing at some point?

I really just posted this so you guys would know this isn't just an AMD/CC thing... it's a problem with the Green Guys too.

DP not ready for primetime... 4 YEARS later.

Just made an account here to reply to this. I too have the same issue with my new Asus ROG Swift PG278Q. DP is the only connection this monitor uses and unfortunately it looks like I'll be dealing with this issue for the foreseeable future. It really sucks that after 4 years it seems like nobody important has noticed this fairly obvious problem.

I've even tried using my integrated graphics on my 3770k instead of my GTX 980 but the issue still persisted.

I found this forum post if anybody is interested. I tried doing this but it didn't worked for me. Maybe it might work for others though. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...or-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa This is quite an old post and I believe the OP there was using an HDMI connection.

Just FWIW - I also have this problem. Acer B326HUL being driven by a GTX 970. On DVI it works fine, but when using DP every time the monitor shuts down (powersave mode, computer sleeping, or with the button), it's like the computer's internal resolution switches to 1024x768 or something. All the windows get resized and put up in the corner.

Using DVI it's not an issue, so I'm using DVI. But if I were forced to use DP this would be a huge problem.

I found a fix. Tested and works on my system. Back to DP!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...or-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa

EDIT: For more info...

It looks like it's an issue with Windows rather than DP itself. If the GPU loses a connection to the monitor, Windows defaults to its <virtual> default resolution for any open windows and icon placement. When it detects the monitor and cranks the resolution back to where it should be the damage to window and icon layout has already been done. The registry change switches the default resolution to any arbitrary value (in this case, you want to set it to your actual monitor's resolution). That way when your GPU loses connection to the monitor, Windows doesn't change its internal resolution. Or, rather, it changes it to what it already was.

Last edited:
Having same issue with new Benq monitor on windows 10. I tried the regedit fix from that microsoftanswers link but no luck. I only get this with DVI-D not HDMI. Anyone know how to fix it?

BTW is it normal for Windows to make the device disconnected sound when monitor goes to sleep with DVI-D? First time using DVI-D. This never happened with HDMI for me.

Last edited:
Did anyone find a good solution for Windows 10? I'm using three monitors, center (main) one has to use displayport for freezync & 144hz . I've tried Persistent Windows, but it doesn't always return applications to the monitor they were on. They don't return maximized if they do.

Did anyone find a good solution for Windows 10? I'm using three monitors, center (main) one has to use displayport for freezync & 144hz . I've tried Persistent Windows, but it doesn't always return applications to the monitor they were on. They don't return maximized if they do.

My solution was to get a different brand monitor, lol. I know it's not ideal. The regedit fixes posted on microsoft answers forum didn't work for me, but work for some so worth a try.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa?auth=1

Some monitors have a power saving feature turned on that disconnects the DP when you turn it off. If you turn thus off the problem goes away. I have experience with this on HP monitors.

Sorry I don't know exactly what this setting is called.

Back