resize partition on Windows X64?

Kenrin

n00b
So i want to add another OS onto my rig, I have windows xp 64-bit on it right now. I've tried partition magic to resize my drive but it does not work. I've also tried 2 other windows partition resizers which say they don't work in 64-bit windows when I try to do the operation.

So I go the linux route to resize my drive and apparently I can't get the GUI for xserver to work with my x1900XT, i've tried knoppix and gparted live cds. I don't want to burn any more if they won't work.

Any suggestions for programs that are x64 friendly or any linux distros that have qtparted or gparted that will load a gui?

You should stop using Partition Magic, period. It's old, it hasn't been updated in nearly 5 long years, and it's basically old and outdated, basically. Yes, that's redundant, sue me. :D

PartedMagic is the new kid on the block, free, bootable CD/USB stick/etc, works great, is updated regularly, and gets the job done. Used to be the Gparted project when some of those developers moved on and created PartedMagic. Highly recommended...

www.partedmagic.com

looks nice, now the big question is whether or not the xserver will load with any of the drivers.

And, always a fantastic recommendation:

Buy a nice stack of CDRW's sometime. Trust me: they'll pay off when you need 'em the most. ;)

partedmagic works like a charm! I ran it off a usb drive.

I think i'm going to invest in a stack of dvd-rw just for the purpose of putting linux distros on them and upgrading them when new versions come out~

CDRW, not DVD+RW :)

But yeah, in actuality having several of each type of media around is priceless when you really need them the most. I have a bunch of CDRW discs, each one is designated for a specific purpose, and the case has the information on it like the Ubuntu one I use: it's been used for the past 5 releases of Ubuntu, and when a new one is released, I just erase it and burn the new release, note the specific release version and date on the label, done.

I have a few DVD+RW discs I use for temporary storage and testing of OSes like Vista and 2K8 nowadays as well. Saves media, reusable a few thousand times if necessary.

Back