Residential file backup over the net

nomar

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend and I have been trying to think of ways to have off-site backups of our important files. What we think is the best idea is to each have a local backup at our homes and then back that up to the other person's home over the internet on a nightly basis.

The question is - does anyone know of any programs that can be used to do a backup over the internet? I have a Windows 2003 server so it would be nice if it was Windows based, but I also have a Linux server (clarkconnect) and could use that as well.

My friend was thinking of purchasing the Linksys network storage link and two portable hard drives for his side.

Any ideas?

Funny... I just found that. You can't beat $30 either. My friend would have to have a server though and not just a network attached drive.

Interesting note... the link you gave me - www.handybackup.com is different than the site I was looking at www.handybackup.net - the latest version on .net is 4.5 and on .com is 4.0. Wierd. Ah ok i see now. 4.5 is the DVD version and 4.1 is the regular version.

Is there a way to "trick" XP or 2003 to think a shared folder over the internet is a local folder?

VPN with WinBackup will work, and its pretty much free, not the best backup software, but it does the job if you are not running active databases

Look for Novell NetDrive

It allows you to map an FTP site as a drive letter. They you can schedule a nightly backup and be good to go.

Treats FTP like a local drive and its free.

Back