Resident Evil Village (RE8)

Not sure how I feel about the DLC. I like the idea for playing Rose, but I dunno about it taking place in some kind of alternate "shadow realm." It could end up being cool, though. I don't really care about mercenaries, so that's lost on me. Playing in 3rd person might be fun. Especially with almost all of the other titles going that route. It'll be interesting to see what they charge for it.

Meh still waiting for the return of the real resident evil.. With all the horror etc.. I think re 9 is going back to the roots hoping it's 3rd person like re2r. Haven't played village yet bc just isn't re anymore lol
Wut? RE 7 & 8 was the return to horror.

I was confused, too. Did we forget RE5 and RE6?
RE5 and 6 are action games with a horror aesthetic

RE:Village is a fair bit more action oriented than RE7-----which makes it more like RE4, where it waivers between action and more straightforward horror segments.

RE5 and 6 are action games with a horror aesthetic

RE:Village is a fair bit more action oriented than RE7-----which makes it more like RE4, where it waivers between action and more straightforward horror segments.
I never not felt the horror in RE4. RE5 was a huge departure from the baseline that RE4 set. While some of the body horror was unsettling it never committed to being a horror game unlike RE4.

I feel like all of them have horror elements (mainly zombies, obviously), they just became more about fighting hordes rather than jump scares and surprises. That culminated with 5 and especially 6, which was pretty much a straight action game with supernatural elements. 7 reversed course and was a throwback to the earlier games. Village was a blend of those and 4. "Survival horror" vs. "Action horror" or something like that.

I meant more like RE2 remake... Re village had werewolves and other strange things that were never in re games lol.. I only played the demo so I don't know if it's good or true to re games or not..

4 was like a balance if horror and action. 5 & 6 we're just pure action games. I find 7 was very much towards horror more so then the older games. 8 was more action the 7 but definitely more on the horror side still.

I've only played RE7, RE2 Remake, RE3 Remake, and RE8 Village in that order.

Of those games RE7 was straight up horror with some puzzles. At the end it did tilt more towards combat but overall the game was a horror game first.

RE2 remake was puzzle based, with some horror elements and a few jump scares.

RE3 remake was similar, but the puzzles seemed a bit more straight forward. Might have to do with a lot of cut content from the original game.

RE8 Village was much more action oriented. Only one part of the game was really scary. The change from mostly zombies/monsters to intelligent, talking beings took away much of the horror. Of course it had a scarcity of ammunition thing going on and monsters so it had a horror setting, but the game itself wasn't scary.

It sounds like RE4 is more like Village?

As for this DLC I will play it. Took a long time though. I thought the game was done by this point.

Last edited:
Count me in for Village DLC. RE7 was my first in the series, and I loved it. Village was even better as I'm basically a FPS gamer at heart. These two games were very well done. Can't wait for more!

Some devs include their own DRM on top of Denuvo to make their exe's harder to bypass.
Or, as its known more colloquially...

supereasy-barely-an-inconvenience.gif

Started Village a while back but haven't gone back to it for a while though. Was thinking about going through all the RE games starting from the first one and do them in order. (Have about half of them already) Good idea?

Started Village a while back but haven't gone back to it for a while though. Was thinking about going through all the RE games starting from the first one and do them in order. (Have about half of them already) Good idea?

I did that right after the RE3 remake came out. I played through them all in order, but with the remakes and 2 and 3 in place of the originals. 1 is still going to feel really old even though it was upgraded to be a little more modern. Neat story, but I never liked playing that one. After the remakes of 2 and 3, you'll have to adjust a little bit to 4. It's not that dated, but the controls and camera are a bit different. 5's no problem after 4. 6, too. 6 actually plays similarly to the remasters of 2 and 3 although melee is a huge part of the game. 7 and Village are still very modern games, although they'll feel very different after playing 6.

I think so. For story reasons I'd recommend playing RE0HD after REmake HD. Playing RE4HD after RE3make will be jarring, though. The tank controls take some time to get used to on a keyboard. I highly recommend getting the RE4HD Project textures to play through it. Both RE5 and RE6 still hold up on PC, even though Capcom downgraded the PC version of RE5 some time ago.

Think i will, may not be real fun playing the oldest ones but i'll have a better time as i go along. ;)

Bit the bullet and got the missing main games today. (Got #1-8 now, plus RE: Resistance, RE: Revelations 1/2 and Re:Verse) ;)) Read that most of the main numbered games are good if you just want the main storyline and the rest just add backstory and such in most cases. Any info on the add-on games that i should get would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The main games cover the vast majority of the story. I don't think Code Veronica ever got a PC port and it's one of the few spinoff titles that actually had a lot of story elements to it. The main numbered games recap some of it and you can always watch YouTube videos that go over the whole chabang. There are a bunch of long-ass 2-hour videos that get pretty granular, but there are also 10-30 minute videos that offer more than enough info to get you caught up.

Thanks! Yeah, looked up the Code Veronica one, but think it only ever went to consoles so far.

I think you can stream Code: Veronica X on PC with PlayStation Plus Premium. There is also the emulation route. My local vintage game stores sell it for around $20-40 if you want to get a copy to make a disc image from.

I think you can stream Code: Veronica X on PC with PlayStation Plus Premium. There is also the emulation route. My local vintage game stores sell it for around $20-40 if you want to get a copy to make a disc image from.
As good as the remake of 4 is probably going to be...Code Veronica was in far more desperate need of a remake. Especially due to lacking a native PC port.

Resident Evil Village – Winters’ Expansion – TGS Trailer

trailer highlighting the three new features coming to Resident Evil Village in the Winters’ Expansion DLC-- third-person mode for the main game, new Mercenaries content- including the ability to play as Lady Dimitrescu, and 'Shadows of Rose' a new story expansion featuring Ethan and Mia Winters’ daughter Rose

The Winter’s Expansion launches on October 28th...

Whenever they show Village in 3rd person, there's no onscreen aiming reticle. Hopefully that's an option they've simply disabled. Otherwise it's going to either have to auto-aim (ewww) or you're just going to have to guess.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Whenever they show Village in 3rd person, there's no onscreen aiming reticle. Hopefully that's an option they've simply disabled. Otherwise it's going to either have to auto-aim (ewww) or you're just going to have to guess.

I’ve said this time and time again, RE4 nailed it with the laser, why can’t we go back to that?!?!

I’ve said this time and time again, RE4 nailed it with the laser, why can’t we go back to that?!?!

I'm okay with the laser or the + reticle that they've also used. I just need something beyond a guess or auto-aim. I'm hoping they simply disabled it in the video footage. Then again, I never had an issue with RE7 and Village being first-person, too. If 3rd person is wack, I just won't use that mode.

I'm okay with the laser or the + reticle that they've also used. I just need something beyond a guess or auto-aim. I'm hoping they simply disabled it in the video footage. Then again, I never had an issue with RE7 and Village being first-person, too. If 3rd person is wack, I just won't use that mode.

My preference is first person, and I’d actually like to see ADS implemented instead of an on screen reticle. The less HUD the better.

I still haven't gotten around to playing RE3 remake. Guess I'll wait till Halloween. I have yet to buy village but not sure if I'll like it anyway so might as well wait till it's 5

I got bored with Scorn and decided to give Village another runthrough on the hardest difficulty. They nerf the hell out of the grenade launcher on this difficulty. It takes 3 grenades to kill a normal sword zombie and it takes like 30 to kill a large/boss enemy. It even takes at least 5 to knock the armor off the werewolves. On the normal difficulty, it'll kill one of those giant black beasts in 2 shots and nearly anything else in 1. It feels a bit excessive, but at least it makes for a decent cheese weapon. The sniper rifle still hits pretty hard with headshots, but anything else barely does anything. The shotgun and magnum feel appropriate. In particular, the shotguns seem only a little weaker than they were on other difficulties.

As I'm clearing each area, I'm reminded how much I liked this game even if it is pretty short. There's a lot of backtracking involved. I keeps the game from being akin to RE7, but it probably needed a 5th family member or more castle exploration. Still, I'd say it's my 2nd favorite game in the series behind 4.

Have been hearing that Shadow of Rose is pretty hard. Probably going to give it a go tonight.

I made a quick run-through the main game in 3rd person mode just for the hell of it. I wanted to see how powerful the maxed out STAKE was on "casual," and it didn't disappoint. Other that bosses that have invincibility during certain phases (Lady Dimitrscu, Miranda) you can kill anything in a couple shots. I killed Moreau in literally 3 seconds. For what it's worth, the Rocket Pistol (which I finally unlocked) actually isn't that great. It's basically just like the grenade launcher with a 5-round clip. You can stun enemies over and over, but it does minimal damage. Crafting ammo for it also requires herbs, so it's only even worth trying with unlimited ammo. For something you have to beat Village of Shadows mode to unlock, color me disappointed. I wanted something akin to the unlimited rocket launcher or Chicago typewriter. As much as I dislike Mercenaries, I can pretty much guarantee I'll never get the light saber. Anyway, 3rd person mode works as advertised and is a sound alternative to 1st person if that's your jam. There's no serious advantage/disadvantage to it, although it might allow you to see stuff approaching from odd angles a hair better.

Edit: I played through Shadows of Rose this morning. It's okay. They're reusing locations, but with new puzzles. The new enemies are a little spongy. They take 3-5 bullets to the head and their ability to grab is strangely inconsistent. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. With no drops from enemies, there isn't much reason to fight, though. You might as well just run everywhere and save your ammo for forced encounters. The second phase is all puzzles and stealth (aka. repeatedly waiting around while enemies follow a movement pattern). I wasn't a fan, and things get kind of ridiculous toward the end. Lots of BS moments where you'll die just because you don't know what to do until you fail at least once. I'll probably play through it at least one more time, but it might be a minute. Overall, I'd say it's okay. I might tinker with the Mercenaries mode where you can play as the bosses (that could be fun), but I dunno about this package being $20. Feels like it needed a second episode (maybe with Chris?) in addition to this one.

Last edited:
Seems you can't play as the bosses in Mercenaries until you get certain scores with Chris Redfield first? LAME. I already disliked that mode. Now they've taken a neat new feature and gated it so that I can't access it without grinding. Oh well, guess I'll never see it.

Back