Resident Evil Village (RE8)

Capcom's PC ports have generally been very strong. Street Fighter 5, RE2, RE3, RE7, Devil May Cry 5, Monster Hunter World, etc. have been good.
They aren't perfect, but I can't think of a major developer that has been better. Especially across multiple platforms.
In the case of Street Fighter 5, they have legitimately made the PC the platform of choice for a fighting game. That's even in Japan and Korea. That would have sounded absurd a decade ago, but here we are. Namco has followed suit with Tekken.

all the RE games are on sale this weekend on Steam...is RE: Village worth $40.19?

all the RE games are on sale this weekend on Steam...is RE: Village worth $40.19?
I paid 47.99 total even back in February as GMG and some others had it discounted for pre order. I would say if you have to ask if its worth 40 now then you are probably not a big RE fan and should just wait for a better sale.

EDIT: It is only 30 on cdkeys right now. https://www.cdkeys.com/resident-evil-village-pc-steam-ww

How did you feel about 7? It's a direct follow-up, so if you haven't played it first I'd recommend it. I enjoyed them both quite a bit. The worst complaint that I can lodge against 8 off the top of my head is the short play-time. I think it only took me 7ish hours to finish, so only you can decide if that cost:entertainment ratio is worth it for you.

How did you feel about 7? It's a direct follow-up, so if you haven't played it first I'd recommend it. I enjoyed them both quite a bit. The worst complaint that I can lodge against 8 off the top of my head is the short play-time. I think it only took me 7ish hours to finish, so only you can decide if that cost:entertainment ratio is worth it for you.
About as long as RE7 was.

RE7 and RE8 share the same controls, first person perspective, and graphics but the gameplay is pretty different. RE7 is a more traditional survival horror RE game. There are some shooting elements (especially late in the game), but your ammo is limited and there aren't a ton of different enemies or weapons. RE8 is far closer to a normal FPS shooter. Outside of one side mission, you're going to be killing a LOT of enemies and you have a boatload of firepower to do it. RE8's a larger game than RE7, but it's a faster paced game, too. On my first playthough I think I completed RE7 in 8-9 hours and RE8 in 12-13. That's pretty much doing everything and exploring/backtracking a lot. If you count RE7's DLC, it's a bigger game. IMO there's a lot more replay value to RE8, though. The nature of RE7's gameplay means that 99% you're going to do the same things on every playthrough. Everything is staged to go a certain way and you can't really deviate from that. The huge variety in weapons (plus a NG+ mode) adds a little more spice to subsequent playthroughs. At least assuming you like shooters.

Got this the other day. I have not played any other RE games.

Really makes me thing of the original aline in the dark. Im glad there isnt a huge emphasis on combat. Wouldnt mind slightly more challenging puzzles and some the boss things are kind of lame but over all i am liking.

Im at the resevior now.

Wouldnt mind more games like this.

Game should have been called Resident Evil:locked from the other side

Got this the other day. I have not played any other RE games.

Really makes me thing of the original aline in the dark. Im glad there isnt a huge emphasis on combat. Wouldnt mind slightly more challenging puzzles and some the boss things are kind of lame but over all i am liking.

Im at the resevior now.

Wouldnt mind more games like this.

Game should have been called Resident Evil:locked from the other side

Get RE2/3 and the Gamecube remake of RE, all are on steam and are constantly on sale if not on steam on humble bundle. Word of warning though RE uses the OG controls which may not be for everyone but it's still really good and nice to see how the whole thing got started.

I should pick this up must be half price on GREY sites by now.

Last edited:
Get RE2/3 and the Gamecube remake of RE, all are on steam and are constantly on sale if not on steam on humble bundle. Word of warning though RE uses the OG controls which may not be for everyone but it's still really good and nice to see how the whole thing got started.
Tank controls are a must in fixed camera games.

I'm guessing they fixed the sister swarm stutters, because I finally started playing the castle part and had no stutters encountering the first sister and none fighting her.

I'm also guessing that ammo isn't scarce, because I keep finding plenty of it or I find sellable treasure so I can buy more ammo. I wasted a ton of shotgun ammo on the first sister, then incidentally panic killed her with the handgun and realized that
I could have just hit her with the 9mm while she was near the window to stun her and she would have died/frozen quickly
without wasting good ammo. I like games that incorporate environmental effects in the boss battles, so I hope that carries on to other bosses.

You should find tons of ammo for all the guns except the magnums. I think the game actually gives you more drops when you're running low, but I don't know that for sure. I don't think I ever got super low on ammo and I've completed the game 3 different times on 3 different difficulties. If you complete various side tasks along the way, you can unlock unlimited ammo for certain weapons, too.

It's easily worth $20 if you have any interest in the series at all. Especially 4 or 7. Plus, the different weapon upgrades add replay value that 7 didn't necessarily have.

I can't think of anything better that came out this year, so I agree with the award. 2021 has definitely been a down year for game releases, but RE Village would probably be considered a great game most other years, too.

Die hard fan told me it was trash and I haven't been a fan since the third game of the series back on PlayStation 2 I believe

Die hard fan told me it was trash and I haven't been a fan since the third game of the series back on PlayStation 2 I believe

Unless they're only a fan of the old style games (everything prior to RE4), I don't see how anyone could think it's "trash." It might not be your favorite or anything, but that's a bit much.

Unless they're only a fan of the old style games (everything prior to RE4), I don't see how anyone could think it's "trash." It might not be your favorite or anything, but that's a bit much.
Agreed. I've played most on different systems over the years and the only one that was kinda crappy was the one before; Biohazard. I enjoyed Village and the little twist explained some things.

I was surprised because the trailer looks good and the gameplay I've seen looks good.

Agreed. I've played most on different systems over the years and the only one that was kinda crappy was the one before; Biohazard. I enjoyed Village and the little twist explained some things.
Only one in the main series I don't really like is 6. Despite being the best-selling entry in the series it is the least "Resident Evil" game made so far.

I can definitely see why people don't like RE6. Leon's version of the game feels relatively similar to Resident Evil 5, but the others don't at all. They're more like a 3rd person Call of Duty...yet the controls aren't super friendly for that style of game. Based on the designs for RE7 and 8, it's clear even Capcom knew that they took things too far.
It'll be interesting to see if the RE4 remake is still a real thing or if all of those rumors were really just leaks from the RE4 VR port.

It's ok I'm about a hour in alot of it's on Rail animations and story are slow moving camera things when you get attacked.
Just got to some Witch I suppose I gotta play this thing to cure my depression. I wish it was 3rd person though....

Update: It opens up alot after the witch...

Last edited:
If you liked Resident Evil 4, you may like this game, but it does not meet that standard. I feel like this game is Myst, Skyrim, and Resident Evil all rolled into one.

Also, the hand fetish in this game is really strange and it went way too far at the elevator switch. I hope that is going to be explained at some point because it is kind of hard to suspend disbelief after that one! Those are some powerful green herbs layin around know what I mean.

Edit: Can you imagine sitting around talking about the hand damage and how it will work and saying "that sounds like a great idea!"

If you liked Resident Evil 4, you may like this game, but it does not meet that standard. I feel like this game is Myst, Skyrim, and Resident Evil all rolled into one.

Also, the hand fetish in this game is really strange and it went way too far at the elevator switch. I hope that is going to be explained at some point because it is kind of hard to suspend disbelief after that one! Those are some powerful green herbs layin around know what I mean.

Edit: Can you imagine sitting around talking about the hand damage and how it will work and saying "that sounds like a great idea!"

Umm, why he can repair himself is part of the story of 8 and goes back to 7.

Don't worry... it gets explained.

Resident Evil Village and other entries in the series available on Steam have received minor performance patches, Capcom confirmed (Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, and Resident Evil 7: Biohazard)...the Resident Evil Village patch, according to the official notes, fixes issues related to in-game option selection and some text issues...

https://www.residentevil.com/village/us/topics/update/

Capcom has released a free, browser-based, streaming demo of its 2021 hit, Resident Evil Village based on licensed Stadia technology from Google...the demo will work on just about any computer, as well as iOS and Android phones and tablets, as long as the device can handle high-definition video and you have a sturdy enough internet connection (with a download speed of at least 10Mbps)...it runs on Chrome on Windows, macOS and Android...the resolution tops out at 1080p and there's no HDR mode...

https://play.cid.capcom.com/

Capcom has released a free, browser-based, streaming demo of its 2021 hit, Resident Evil Village based on licensed Stadia technology from Google...the demo will work on just about any computer, as well as iOS and Android phones and tablets, as long as the device can handle high-definition video and you have a sturdy enough internet connection (with a download speed of at least 10Mbps)...it runs on Chrome on Windows, macOS and Android...the resolution tops out at 1080p and there's no HDR mode...

https://play.cid.capcom.com/

I did find the smoothness and overall experience really impressive (but I am someone that does not know when my monitor goes from 170hz to 60hz) and the image quality disappointing.

Feel to me for a certain type of games, streaming will work really well.

Last edited:
I did find the smoothness and overall experience really impressive (but I am someone that does not know when my monitor goes from 170hz to 60hz) and the image quality disappointing.

yeah I just tried it out and I agree...picture quality was awful but controls and responsiveness were surprisingly good

Last edited:
Resident Evil Village DLC announced
The Resident Evil Village DLC, Winters’ Expansion, launches on October 28th 2022...includes 'Shadows of Rose' story which takes place 16 years after the events of Resident Evil Village, a 3rd-person mode for the main campaign and playable Lady D in Mercenaries...

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...ge-dlc-winters-expansion-launches-october-28/

Wow that’s a big one, no wonder it’s taken so long.

Did not see the 3rd person thing coming, doubt I’d like it as much but would be a different experience for sure. Plus, what about Ethan’s face? Guess the camera would be pointed at the back of his head.

I figured the events after as Rose would be the basis for RE9, maybe it still is.

Meh still waiting for the return of the real resident evil.. With all the horror etc.. I think re 9 is going back to the roots hoping it's 3rd person like re2r. Haven't played village yet bc just isn't re anymore lol

Back