Resident Evil Village (RE8)

Anyone know the deal with Duke? I don't recall him from any prior games, and I couldn't find any lore in RE8 that really lets you know what his deal is.

Anyone know the deal with Duke? I don't recall him from any prior games, and I couldn't find any lore in RE8 that really lets you know what his deal is.

They're intentionally super vague about him. Feels like he's almost like a DM or some being that keeps the world moving down a particular path. When Ethan asks him about who/what he is, he says something like "Even I can't answer that." Whoever he is, he seems be friends with the merchant from RE4. Early in the game he makes a "What are ya buyin' ?" joke.

I didn't find the doll house scary at all, IMO. I guess it's a all a matter of perspective. For me personally, the spider bitch & dad chasing you around the house in RE7 was far more scary.

They toned down the "scariness" for village since people were bothered with it from 7.

They toned down the "scariness" for village since people were bothered with it from 7.
Citation needed.

I think it's entirely debatable and subjective on which is more "scary" and doubt they would let the intended effect from the previous game influence them to sandbag the same effect on this game.

Yeah, I vaguely remember people giving RE7 bad reviews because it was too scary. I've played a lot of horror games, and while opinion is opinion, i'm confident in saying RE7 is scarier compared to RE8.

RE7 was way darker and more realistic in nature. It had way more jump scares, too. There were several moments where you were doing something and then you'd get spun around into a mini cutscene. RE8 is more supernatural. Vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc. Those things probably aren't that scary to most people anymore. Plus, it's relatively well lit and you're well armed most of the time.
IMO, the scariest thing in either of them was the initial PS4 Virtual Reality demo. You can hear all of this creepy stuff happening around you and you can see shadows and whatnot. It was good enough where it sold me on the PSVR after trying it.

Citation needed.

I think it's entirely debatable and subjective on which is more "scary" and doubt they would let the intended effect from the previous game influence them to sandbag the same effect on this game.

While yes, horror has a degree of a subjective nature there are objective measures one can use. Time between jump scares, how often the horror is shown v. letting tension build, ambient sounds, background visuals are all key indicators. For example, Alien is a horror movie, the monster is left relatively unknown, shown only in brief snippets and often allowing the tension to build before hand. A quite place on the otherhand reveals the monster right at the start and substitutes proper horror for suspense thriller (which many confuse for horror). Good horror relies heavily on the viewer filling in the gaps, a so called mystery box. Any monster you make will be less fearful than anything my mind creates.

It has been stated they toned down the horror of this game, and the media released definately backs that up. I beleive they did this for accessibility and streamers.

The lady that keeps walking around. How tall is she? Lmao, her height must be Yao Ming size.
Over 9 feet with the hat.

View attachment 325292
While yes, horror has a degree of a subjective nature there are objective measures one can use. Time between jump scares, how often the horror is shown v. letting tension build, ambient sounds, background visuals are all key indicators. For example, Alien is a horror movie, the monster is left relatively unknown, shown only in brief snippets and often allowing the tension to build before hand. A quite place on the otherhand reveals the monster right at the start and substitutes proper horror for suspense thriller (which many confuse for horror). Good horror relies heavily on the viewer filling in the gaps, a so called mystery box. Any monster you make will be less fearful than anything my mind creates.

It has been stated they toned down the horror of this game, and the media released definately backs that up. I beleive they did this for accessibility and streamers.
A Quiet Place did not reveal the monsters from the very beginning. Much like Alien we only get quick glimpses of them until the end, as the flash by the screen whenever somebody makes a noise and takes them out. And, no, I do not believe any of the measures you list are objective in nature in determining what defines horror.

Over 9 feet with the hat.

View attachment 325292

A Quiet Place did not reveal the monsters from the very beginning. Much like Alien we only get quick glimpses of them until the end, as the flash by the screen whenever somebody makes a noise and takes them out. And, no, I do not believe any of the measures you list are objective in nature in determining what defines horror.

when it grabs the kid at the end of the bridge, monster loses fear factor and become suspense.

sure whatever, its a fact they toned down RE8.

Just finished Village and thought it was pretty good. Had some performance issues until I updated Nvidia drivers which was smooth sailing afterwards.
I'd give it a 8.5/10. Can't wait for the sequel. You know it's going to continue after seeing the ending. Don't want to spoil it for everyone, but it's good.

I never usually buy single player campain's on release date, but just felt like playing this one after beating R.E. 7. and playing this right after.

Survival horror is growing on me. I'm thinking of playing Silent Hill or The Evil Within next. I tried Dead Island 1 & 2 and didn't like it at all.

Just finished Village and thought it was pretty good. Had some performance issues until I updated Nvidia drivers which was smooth sailing afterwards.
I'd give it a 8.5/10. Can't wait for the sequel. You know it's going to continue after seeing the ending. Don't want to spoil it for everyone, but it's good.

I never usually buy single player campain's on release date, but just felt like playing this one after beating R.E. 7. and playing this right after.

Survival horror is growing on me. I'm thinking of playing Silent Hill or The Evil Within next. I tried Dead Island 1 & 2 and didn't like it at all.

Well, it's part of a trilogy starting with part 7 so there will be a part 9.

Dead Island isn't survival horror any more than the Dead Rising franchise is.

Evil Within is pretty good.

Yeah, evil within surprised me. I really liked it. Haven't played #2 yet, waiting for it to go cheaper.

Jesus Christ, I just did the Beneviento's portion of the game. DOLLS! :eek: Why did it have to be dolls?! I really can't stand dolls. That whole portion felt like playing the Sinister movie.

The part with the mutant baby monster freaked me the fuck out, having to run and hide from it was terrifying! Especially when you are trying to get away from it and the elevator is taking its sweet ass time! ]

Last edited:
I still think Condemned was the best survival/horror game outside of the Resident Evil titles. The Xbox 360 version had some of the best multi-directional audio of all time. Trick is, the PC version's audio was tied to a proprietary Creative Labs tech that never really worked all that well. These days it barely works at all. The PC version was also pretty damn ugly and not a great port. If you have access to an Xbox (any of 'em), it's worth playing. Probably pretty cheap these days, too. Monolith has said they would love to revisit the series for a while, but at this point I kinda doubt it'll happen.

Almost done with my VoS playthrough, got to the Miranda fight light night before I had to crash. It's my 2nd game play through and on NG+ and I unlocked the Dragoon with infinite ammo since it's the cheapest/easiest weapon to get infinite ammo for since you can't upgrade it at all and that's a requirement to unlock that bonus. I'm not sure I could do VoS without NG+ bonuses, hah, but it's def fun to run through the game not having to worry about ammo and it's still challenging as well since enemies rush you a lot faster and still charge through your bullets sometimes. I'm not sure I'll be able to platinum this game though (on PS5) yet since I'm not sure I'm up for trying to speed run the game within 3 hours. The game does seem kinda short once you bypass all the exploration areas and just go for the Lords/objectives.

I didn't seem to have much of an issue with Heisenburg on VoS difficulty as some people have reported to have though. If you just keep him from getting close with you big cannon and keep targeting his red/weak points with your machine gun, he's pretty easy to keep at bay and take down. I had a bit harder time getting through the Village afterwards with Chris and fighting the big giant in the pit, which I didn't even know you could target with the laser pointer in my first play through, that helps a lot and gives you time to unload into his back while he's down.

Making of Resident Evil Village- The Internal Struggle

what happens when Developers and Quality Assurance don't see eye-to-eye?...our latest behind-the-scenes video on the making of Resident Evil Village features interviews on the trials and triumphs of the game's development...

Reactions: noko
like this
I really didn't care for where re7 and 8 went..re7 was a good game had it been called something else. I really liked the beg but the game wasn't as good in the latter parts. I still miss re2 remake style with the old school zombies...I hope we can get another brand new re using the re2 remake style.... I'm over all these Dam remakes!!!!

At this point I'm curious how the RE4 remake is going. They've apparently been working on it for at least a year, but the original game is really damn big. It's way more "modern" than RE2 and 3 were, but it's that's also going to make people break out the torches over any changes to it. Playing Village made me super excited for a 2021 graphical update, though. I wouldn't even mind if they went first person, but I kinda doubt they'll go there after 2 and 3 worked so well.

At this point I'm curious how the RE4 remake is going. They've apparently been working on it for at least a year, but the original game is really damn big. It's way more "modern" than RE2 and 3 were, but it's that's also going to make people break out the torches over any changes to it. Playing Village made me super excited for a 2021 graphical update, though. I wouldn't even mind if they went first person, but I kinda doubt they'll go there after 2 and 3 worked so well.

I wouldn't think they'd go 1st person but they are making RE4 in VR so it wouldn't be too far fetched.

I went to start a play through on village of shadows difficulty but idk if I can do it, can't get past the first Lycan attack. =(

I wouldn't think they'd go 1st person but they are making RE4 in VR so it wouldn't be too far fetched.

I went to start a play through on village of shadows difficulty but idk if I can do it, can't get past the first Lycan attack. =(

You can apparently cheese that first lycan attack by hiding behind the locked gate door and pressing against it so that enemies can't push it open. It's a timed sequence so eventually (once at least like 5-6 minutes pass), you can spin around and a lycan will grab you and trigger the cutscene. That's probably the single toughest part of the game IMO. It's long, you don't have many resources, enemies just keep coming, and it's tough to hide anywhere for long. Like T4rd mentions above, the Dragoon with unlimited ammo is the best way to approach VoS. It's powerful AF and you don't have to level it up like the other guns. Just win the game once, buy it, and then spend the points for unlimited ammo. I discovered how OP'd that gun is near the end of my Hardcore playthrough.

Reactions: w35t
like this
You can apparently cheese that first lycan attack by hiding behind the locked gate door and pressing against it so that enemies can't push it open. It's a timed sequence so eventually (once at least like 5-6 minutes pass), you can spin around and a lycan will grab you and trigger the cutscene. That's probably the single toughest part of the game IMO. It's long, you don't have many resources, enemies just keep coming, and it's tough to hide anywhere for long. Like T4rd mentions above, the Dragoon with unlimited ammo is the best way to approach VoS. It's powerful AF and you don't have to level it up like the other guns. Just win the game once, buy it, and then spend the points for unlimited ammo. I discovered how OP'd that gun is near the end of my Hardcore playthrough.

I’ll give that a try tonight. Guessing that’ll make easy work of things, the unlimited ammo on the launcher is almost useless on that difficulty.

I mainly wanna keep running through the campaign to upgrade the guns, I’m just into that for some reason. Really loving the revolver you unlock that uses sniper bullets.

Hey have any of you used the FOV mod?

I’ll give that a try tonight. Guessing that’ll make easy work of things, the unlimited ammo on the launcher is almost useless on that difficulty.

I mainly wanna keep running through the campaign to upgrade the guns, I’m just into that for some reason. Really loving the revolver you unlock that uses sniper bullets.

Hey have any of you used the FOV mod?

I haven't done any mods. I actually uninstalled the game and took a break from it just so I can go back in a few months and still have a really good time with it. I mostly maxed out the best base weapons in my 2 playthroughs. I only barely touched the magnum and Chris' weapons. The Launcher felt too slow to spend the points for unlimited ammo. Can't say I had a lot of uses for the flashbangs, either. I really only used a couple of those in the factory and stronghold. It's too slow to combo the different launcher shells, which would have made flashbangs a bit better. Right now I mainly use the shotgun after them.
I think my plan is to make another pass this summer on the easiest difficulty just for the sake of getting more $ and powering things up more. Maybe use that to try out some new approaches, too. From there, then I'll give VoS a shot.

I've played through 3 times now. 2nd play through was on VoS with the Dragoon and unlimited ammo and that alone made the game still relatively easy IMO. I was able to max out and get unlimited ammo for the Stake/magnum, grenade launcher, and most powerful shotgun w/ 48 round drum for the 3rd play through on Standard so now I'm just Rambo pretty much, lol. Now that I'm familiar enough with how truly short the game can be and know the order of objectives and routes to go, I'm pretty confident that I can do the sub 3-hour run challenge/trophy, esp. with the Stake that basically one-shots everything and takes down all the Lords in a handful of shots as well. I'm so glad they don't punish you for using your unlocked bonuses for the challenges and stuff.

Reactions: w35t
like this
What's the deal with Mercenaries mode? I didn't touch it, but aren't there some unlockables (like the light saber) tied to it?

What's the deal with Mercenaries mode? I didn't touch it, but aren't there some unlockables (like the light saber) tied to it?
Yeah, there's a couple challenges for Mercenaries mode. One is to get all A-ranks on all the Merc levels for one weapon (can't remember which) and to get the light saber I think you have to get S-rank on all the levels. I haven't played them all but got As on the few I've unlocked so far after 3-4 attempts. It's a pretty fun mode; just waves of enemies that you have to dispense of quickly as you move through a small portion of the campaign levels and you also get some interesting power-ups (faster movement, more damage for certain weapons or headshots, combo damage multipliers, more health, etc.) to pickup as well along the way. It's def worth checking out IMO.

the buzz for RE8 seems to have died out quick...sounds like a good game but a game that people quickly forget

the buzz for RE8 seems to have died out quick...sounds like a good game but a game that people quickly forget
Meh, only so much you can buzz about on a single player game unless there's some controversy about it like with CP or TLoU. Seems it lasted about as long as any other AAA game launch news cycle to me and got more attention than ME LE is getting so far despite that series having about as much clout IMO.

It's a single-player game that's pretty straightforward and not incredibly long or profound. There really isn't a lot to discuss beyond the different weapon types. It's a good (almost great, but maybe not quite) game, though. RE7 got two separate DLC's that were pretty significant in size/scope, so maybe this one will, too?

Capcom E3 2021 Showcase

The publisher will deliver their showcase on June 14th and are promising news on Resident Evil Village, Monster Hunter Rise, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, and more...

Capcom just announced that they have begun working on new DLC for RE8, but offered basically no other details. I kinda figured they would, but it's nice to get confirmation. I just hope what we get is as substantial as what they released for RE7.

it was weird how they phrased it during their E3 presentation...their official statement was "By popular demand development has just started on additional DLC for Resident Evil Village"...you mean they didn't plan on any DLC until just recently?...did they think the game was going to be a failure or disappointment?...they're making it seem like they only started with DLC after the game sold well

Has anyone had the bug where HDR is greyed out no matter what you try and do to enable it? It worked fine for the first 2 hours. Very frustrating to say the least :(

Has anyone had the bug where HDR is greyed out no matter what you try and do to enable it? It worked fine for the first 2 hours. Very frustrating to say the least :(

That sucks. This is one of the few games that uses its own HDR trigger rather than the one built into Windows, too. You might try the Windows HDR toggle and see if that makes a difference.

You sure you have fullscreen set and not any windowed mode? Might try toggling to windowed and back to fullscreen if you are already fullscreen.

You sure you have fullscreen set and not any windowed mode? Might try toggling to windowed and back to fullscreen if you are already fullscreen.
yeah fullscreen is enabled, latest drivers, etc. it seems there is no fix and it just happens on random rigs. Just my luck of the draw. smh

yeah fullscreen is enabled, latest drivers, etc. it seems there is no fix and it just happens on random rigs. Just my luck of the draw. smh
Like I said, it worked for the first 2 hours and it looked gorgeous. Now even with hdr in Windows enabled it doesn't look as good. Don't get me wrong it looks great because of my Oled, just not hdr gorgeous. I might try reinstalling the game just because I'm curious to try and find out what happened.. [H]

Back