"Resident Evil" TV Series in the Works at Netflix

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
An original scripted series based on Resident Evil is in development at Netflix. Deadline has heard the show will “expand the Resident Evil universe and deepen the existing mythology,” but whether it’ll be faithful to the games is anyone’s guess: the studio responsible for the Milla Jovovich-led films, Constantin Films, is also behind this production.

I hear the series will keep the basic premise, which also served as a setup for the movie franchise. The drama series will explore the dark inner workings of the Umbrella Corporation and the new world order caused by the outbreak of the T-virus. While the project is in early stages, the series is expected to incorporate all of Resident Evil’s signature elements, including action sequences and “easter eggs.”

I'm not a fan of what Netflix does with the source material.

9e7.jpg

I would prefer a spin off of the existing series over a complete reboot of the movies. Sadly, I think a reboot is also in discussion.

I think Netflix has done well on several projects. I will check this out.

I think Netflix has done well on several projects. I will check this out.

Maybe but they also murdered Carmen Sandiego. That dumpster fire casts doubt on them being able to do anything good ever again.

Hell no! I hope not. They need to stick with the story of the first game and move from there.

Yes, but more than likely they take something from the movies, and the 1st one was the only somewhat decent one with the rest way different than game world.

Ought to be right up their alley. Undead+zombie stuff is usually considered low budget and easy to do. The problem is that TWD and a half dozen other shows has probably already saturated this market and is burning out as we speak.

Since it's Netflix, it will be done a shoestring budget. It will be one good opening episode, followed by 10 consecutive episodes, shot in 3 locations, all involving characters whining about their feelings the entire time. Episode 12 will end with a dramatic cliffhanger. Few viewers will make it that far.

I'd say I'll stay optimistic for the time being.

Netflix has done an Okay job in my book for an assortment of shows.

Punisher, Altered Carbon, Marco Polo, Stranger Things, House of Cards and several others.
Quite frankly, Netflix has predominately taken over my go to original source for shows over the last few years.

We all hope it's good. But let's see.

Back