Resident Evil Village (RE8)

You can speed through the game fast if you want to, but if you go through all the optional areas it adds a bit of time. There are a number of mini-bosses you can completely stealth or never meet. It's worth killing everything in the game though as everything will drop currency.

Definitely. If you backtrack to previously explored areas, you'll find new bosses in a few spots. Powerful uber-bosses even. New ammo, sellable items, and weapon mods, too. Nothing essential for the plot, but fun distractions. The game's map actually lets you know if there's anything left to find in an area to clue you in. If an area is red - there's still something there. If it's blue, you've found everything there.

Performance has been flawless on my 2080ti. I do believe it's pretty easy to hit max VRAM in this game which would tank performance.
I really doubt you have some special version of the game that magically avoids all the little performance issues. It must be great not to notice them though...

I really doubt you have some special version of the game that magically avoids all the little performance issues. It must be great not to notice them though...
this again?! maybe he doesnt have them or doesnt notice them. not everyone is you....

this again?! maybe he doesnt have them or doesnt notice them. not everyone is you....
I see you still have some piss poor reading comprehension. I clearly said he must not notice the issues which must be great.

I don't have a special version of the game, obviously. It's one of the few games i've played recently that is butter smooth, honestly. Only frame drops/hitching I've noticed is obvious area-loads, like in the long elevator rides, or the long door animations to certain areas.

You might check to see you aren't hitting the VRAM limit of your card. I had to drop some settings for my 2080ti because the indicated value in the options menu was lower then what was actually being used.

Sorry to offend you with my opinion. I guess we aren't allowed to tell other people what configs work fine, and what don't because jobert doesn't want to hear that it's fine for some setups.

I don't have a special version of the game, obviously. It's one of the few games i've played recently that is butter smooth, honestly. Only frame drops/hitching I've noticed is obvious area-loads, like in the long elevator rides, or the long door animations to certain areas.

You might check to see you aren't hitting the VRAM limit of your card. I had to drop some settings for my 2080ti because the indicated value in the options menu was lower then what was actually being used.

Sorry to offend you with my opinion. I guess we aren't allowed to tell other people what configs work fine, and what don't because jobert doesn't want to hear that it's fine for some setups.
The frame rate drops when encountering the three daughters during some bug sequences has nothing to do with vram and neither does the tiny drop when shooting enemies outside in the village. Heck even running without ray tracing still does the same thing when shooting the enemies. Again it must be great not to notice it though.

The frame rate drops when encountering the three daughters during some bug sequences has nothing to do with vram and neither does the tiny drop when shooting enemies outside in the village. Heck even running without ray tracing still does the same thing when shooting the enemies. Again it must be great not to notice it though.
I do not have said frame drops, and i've completed the game. It would be helpful to know what hardware you were running instead of just telling people they must be wrong.

I do not have said frame drops, and i've completed the game. It would be helpful to know what hardware you were running instead of just telling people they must be wrong.
Oh good grief this is happening even on the highest end systems and there is post after post after post about this in the steam forums. The digital foundry video shows the exact same issues that people are having again including top of the line systems so the hardware is irrelevant. I even joked that someone would be silly enough to claim their game runs just fine as that happens with even the most notoriously unoptimized piece of crap games out there. We have a few clowns even on here that will say Star wars Jedi fallen order never stutters for them which is a complete load of shit. We even had people out there saying Batman Arkham Knight ran flawlessly at launch which again is a load of shit. But if you really want to know what my hardware is then it's a 2080 TI 9900k and 32 gigs of RAM with the game installed on an SSD.

Anyway I won't post about this again as people that are oblivious will always be oblivious even if you point it out the frame drops to them right in front of their face. I know that because I've seen it first hand when people have claimed something ran fine and I showed them the issue and they still say they don't see it. So again bottom line is it's great if you don't notice it so be happy but don't pretend like you have some special version of the game that magically avoids frame drops or any other performance issues.

I see you still have some piss poor reading comprehension. I clearly said he must not notice the issues which must be great.
what was your previous user name here?

It would be helpful to know what hardware you were running instead of just telling people they must be wrong.
lol, good luck on that one...

lol look at him losing it because people dont have his problems.

Anyway I won't post about this again
please, just stop posting period.

...ANYWAY. Anybody giving NG+ a try? Since the controls are fresh in my mind (and I'm still excited to play the game some more), I think I'm just going to dive right in over the weekend. I didn't totally max out several of the weapons and there are some new ones that you unlock after completing the game. I'm curious to see if the pistol ever becomes more consistent. Maybe there's a trick to it, but I found that the number of pistol shots to the head needed to kill certain enemies varied a lot. More so than the other games.

I don't know if different basic enemies have different HP or not. I know head shots absolutely do more damage, but it was hard to judge what the count was given that I was constantly upgrading pistols/damage. For instance i'm not sure if the basic NPC's in the factory take more damage or not if you blow off their visors.

NG+ in this game is very tempting given how many additional things you can unlock, but i've got a massive backlog at this point.

WorksForMe.png

Game played perfectly fine on my 3080 at 4k on my LG CX. Hitch here and there but nothing like some people complaining about. It is why I don't visit steam boards. They are nothing but trash.

I started a NG+ run on Hardcore this morning. I managed to find all of the documents on my first pass, so I'm just skipping over most of the random notes and whatnot that you find on the ground. The main difference on Hardcore seems to be that the enemies move more and they do more damage to you. If you get bitten by a lycanthrope twice - you're dead. That's with max health from the recipes, too. Blocking seems to work the same. Enemies take roughly the same number of hits. The opening lycanthrope attack was pretty tough even with my old weapons. I still find myself blocking too late. The game wants you you concede that you're about to get hit before I'm ready to admit it.

2 of the new rifle weapons use a different ammo type, so I dunno how practical they're actually going to be. You can make that ammo, but I'm unsure if it can be found or if it drops from enemies. One of the rifles is better out of the gate, but there's no upgrade path. The other looks like it will eventually become better. The new pistol is similarly really strong out of the gate, but the V61 custom can be upgraded to be better. The new magnum seems totally impractical considering the cost. It feels designed for 3rd playthrough or a build that's highly focused on using it. You can make magnum ammo in NG+, so at least you'll get to fire them more than 12 times per playthrough.

I don't know if different basic enemies have different HP or not. I know head shots absolutely do more damage, but it was hard to judge what the count was given that I was constantly upgrading pistols/damage. For instance i'm not sure if the basic NPC's in the factory take more damage or not if you blow off their visors.

NG+ in this game is very tempting given how many additional things you can unlock, but i've got a massive backlog at this point.
Critical shots in RE7 did vastly more damage than normal shots, and like all the games it is impossible to try and anticipate or notice when they happen. It feels like that same mechanic carried over. Kind of like the original games where some zombies had their head explode in a single shot while others took 9-11 to take down. The variance between criticals and normal shots in the more recent remakes like RE2 wasn't as wide.

I got a few minutes to play a bit more at lunch. I'm definitely making progress quickly since I know what to expect. I blew through the castle in around 1:15 and didn't miss any items this time. Barely took any damage, too. Since the enemies don't take any more shots on hardcore, using the sniper and shotgun a lot seems to wreck most everything in a hurry.

I have to admit that I'm kinda scared of the stronghold, though. That was a bitch of a fight and it's enough to drain most of your ammo, even if you're playing well. Dying in 2 hits in that area doesn't sound very fun.

I do wish more of the game was similar to the start of the game and had more open spaces with a higher enemy count. Make you use the environment more and hold up in buildings, etc. I thought the best part of the game was basically that first big fight in the village.

You on an NVME SSD? That cleared things up for me.

Played through the first hour and a half, and the visuals definitely improved from R.E. 7. I'm kinda stuck trying to escape the castle, but loving how the story is unfolding.
It only took me 3 day's to complete R.E.7, but this one seems to be longer (not that it matters). The longer, the better.

Anyone else playing with a controller instead of KB/Mice? I got so used to it in part 7 that I just stuck with the formula.

Played through the first hour and a half, and the visuals definitely improved from R.E. 7. I'm kinda stuck trying to escape the castle, but loving how the story is unfolding.
It only took me 3 day's to complete R.E.7, but this one seems to be longer (not that it matters). The longer, the better.

Anyone else playing with a controller instead of KB/Mice? I got so used to it in part 7 that I just stuck with the formula.

I play with a pad. Unless something is a hardcore twitch shooter, I play most everything with a pad. This game is slow enough where that isn't an issue 99% of the time. The Stronghold is the only instance where you really, really need to hit stuff on the first try and you need to turn around fast. Otherwise, a pad's no big deal.

It's definitely a bigger/longer game than RE7. Probably twice as long and 3x-4x as large if I had to guess.

I'm plugging away in hardcore NG+ and the only instances I'm seeing a huge difference in difficulty are the rare situations when you're surrounded. You die really quickly in hardcore, but otherwise everything is the same. In NG+ you should have better guns and more ammo, so that counteracts your fragility.

It's a bigger game, but honestly, I thought RE7 was a better horror/scary game. That game had some legit creepy moments. This game, not so much. I haven't been scared once with it. It's a better game, from a gameplay perspective though.

Beat it last night on standard difficulty and said it took me 15 hours, some of which I'm sure was the game either paused or sitting my the inventory screen while I took some breaks. I took my time though and tried to clear all areas by not leaving any red areas left on the map so I could find all items and collectables to max out my weapons and abilities. Unfortunately I missed some areas to get fish that you can't go back to (Monroe's area specifically) and so I couldn't upgrade my movement speed, which was annoying.

I enjoyed the game pretty thoroughly though, at least as much if not more than RE7. I'm gonna replay it again on VoS difficulty now. Standard was definitely too easy and think I should have started on Hardcore. So we'll see how much of a PITA VoS difficulty is now.

Reactions: djoye
like this
Hardcore is only mildly different from the normal difficulty. You just take more damage. Knowing when/where enemies are equals everything out. I think the initial lycanthrope invasion and Stronghold are the toughest areas in the game by far. Most everything else is pretty reasonable if you aren't wasting ammo.
To max out all of the weapons, I think you'd have to complete the game at least 4 times. Maybe more. I'm actually tempted to also try the game on easy so I can try for some of the zany achievements like killing 30 lyanthropes and the giant hammer guy at the beginning of the game. VoS is something I might try later, but I think I'm done with the game for a bit.

It's a bigger game, but honestly, I thought RE7 was a better horror/scary game. That game had some legit creepy moments. This game, not so much. I haven't been scared once with it. It's a better game, from a gameplay perspective though.
Idk the doll house was probably the scariest shit in any RE game.

I didnt get to a doll house, it's up next. Do you think it'll be fine watching at night? I have neighbors behind a wall who don't like my voices.
Yes, watch at night with headphones for maximum effect. 😅

The basement of that house is more horrific than anything in previous REs IMO. RE7 was good and had its own creepy moments, but that part in 8 beat them all hands down for me and even made me jump and shout with my wife right next to me, lol.

Anyone try out Mercenaries mode? I played through the village and Castle areas just to get enough challenge points to unlock the Dragoon assault rifle with unlimited ammo for my next playthrough on VoS difficulty. But I'll definitely be returning to it if I think I can platinum this game.

Some of the achievements seems kinda ridiculous. Completing the game in 3 hours or less being one. Winning the game only using a knife, too.

Some of the achievements seems kinda ridiculous. Completing the game in 3 hours or less being one. Winning the game only using a knife, too.

I'm pretty sure you can use the light Saber to complete the knife challenge.

I didnt get to a doll house, it's up next. Do you think it'll be fine watching at night? I have neighbors behind a wall who don't like my voices.
I just went through that scene and the surround sound for kids laughing is great. This game has a great atmosphere.

Well, to me it felt more like awkward scary vs authentic scary. Nt sure how to explain, it felt like 'stepped in dog poo' scary. Why do I hate this game so much? [Cry]

Is chris redfield on hallucinogen medicine? It has too much supernatural stuff here! Feels wrong! Reside t evil games are all about drugs that turn people into zombies nd big corporations trying to hide it nd nuke cities. This feels like fairy tale gone bonkers. Bloody hell taco nt impressed.
Resident Evil is about BOWs (Bio Organic Weapons). Every virus or organism in the series used to create them and attack the populace have come from fantastical places, so this game isn't out of place at all.

The lady that keeps walking around. How tall is she? Lmao, her height must be Yao Ming size.

Well, to me it felt more like awkward scary vs authentic scary. Nt sure how to explain, it felt like 'stepped in dog poo' scary. Why do I hate this game so much? [Cry]

Is chris redfield on hallucinogen medicine? It has too much supernatural stuff here! Feels wrong! Reside t evil games are all about drugs that turn people into zombies nd big corporations trying to hide it nd nuke cities. This feels like fairy tale gone bonkers. Bloody hell taco nt impressed.

So, you haven't paid any attention to the story that explains what's going on, eh? Sounds like you just want your hand held instead of paying attention.

I didn't find the doll house scary at all, IMO. I guess it's a all a matter of perspective. For me personally, the spider bitch & dad chasing you around the house in RE7 was far more scary.

Back