Resident Evil Village (RE8)

Resident Evil Village PC performance- the (almost) perfect PC port we all needed

Resident Evil 8 not only looks great, but it runs like an absolute dream...most people hold 60 fps as the performance target for PC games – and for good reason. And we're happy to say that every current generation graphics cards exceeds that framerate target at its optimal resolution, even with ray tracing enabled

The weakest card in our lineup was the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060, mostly out of interest of time, and that GPU was able to deliver a silky smooth 88 fps average with the "Ray Tracing" preset at 1080p, which is basically the same as the "Prefer Graphics" preset, but with ray tracing effects enabled...if you don't enable ray tracing on that graphics card, it easily hits 160 fps at all times, which means you can get some high-refresh Resident Evil action in, even if the game itself is actually pretty slow...

we'd be remiss if we didn't talk about just how well this game runs on AMD hardware. Before you look at ray tracing performance at 1440p, AMD has wins across the entire stack...the 6700 XT is almost as fast as the more-expensive RTX 3070...the RX 6800 is basically tied with the RTX 3080, and the RX 6900 XT takes a huge lead over the RTX 3090...

https://www.techradar.com/news/resi...erfect-pc-port-we-all-needed?region-switch=US

Resident Evil Village PC performance- the (almost) perfect PC port we all needed

Resident Evil 8 not only looks great, but it runs like an absolute dream...most people hold 60 fps as the performance target for PC games – and for good reason. And we're happy to say that every current generation graphics cards exceeds that framerate target at its optimal resolution, even with ray tracing enabled

The weakest card in our lineup was the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060, mostly out of interest of time, and that GPU was able to deliver a silky smooth 88 fps average with the "Ray Tracing" preset at 1080p, which is basically the same as the "Prefer Graphics" preset, but with ray tracing effects enabled...if you don't enable ray tracing on that graphics card, it easily hits 160 fps at all times, which means you can get some high-refresh Resident Evil action in, even if the game itself is actually pretty slow...

we'd be remiss if we didn't talk about just how well this game runs on AMD hardware. Before you look at ray tracing performance at 1440p, AMD has wins across the entire stack...the 6700 XT is almost as fast as the more-expensive RTX 3070...the RX 6800 is basically tied with the RTX 3080, and the RX 6900 XT takes a huge lead over the RTX 3090...

https://www.techradar.com/news/resi...erfect-pc-port-we-all-needed?region-switch=US

Thanks for this, makes me feel better about running this at 4K with my 2080ti.

I was already at 4k on just a 27-in monitor so do you think bumping of the resolution scale will make any meaningful difference? I did try it for the heck of it but it was not even noticeable even adding 50% on top of 4K and of course anything beyond that wasn't playable at all. And I was using the highest AA method which is FXAA and TAA but I tried lowering it and using the others just to see if it was a bug and nothing made any difference.
Variable Rate Shading reportedly doesn't work/look as expected, either. Seems like there are a few things which need to be patched up. I bet we see such patches within the first two weeks----if not day 0.

Also, check Green Man Gaming for a deal on pre-ordering. I was able to get 20% off RE* without a special code, like a month ago. They often repeat their best pre-order deals a day or two before release.

Sounds like the game is what we expected and mostly what we hoped. I have to admit that the 12.5-hour play-through time is disappointing, though. Everything on the RE engine has been pretty short. RE7’s DLC made it at least 50% longer, so I had hoped that would be the target for Village. Especially with all of the RE4 (which was massive) callbacks. Oh well – at least the game sounds good. I hope there aren’t too many Mr. X/Nemesis moments with the vampire family. Repeatedly having to avoid invincible enemies loses impact really quickly.

Sounds like the game is what we expected and mostly what we hoped. I have to admit that the 12.5-hour play-through time is disappointing, though. Everything on the RE engine has been pretty short. RE7’s DLC made it at least 50% longer, so I had hoped that would be the target for Village. Especially with all of the RE4 (which was massive) callbacks. Oh well – at least the game sounds good. I hope there aren’t too many Mr. X/Nemesis moments with the vampire family. Repeatedly having to avoid invincible enemies loses impact really quickly.
I find what others say about game length to be pretty inaccurate since it's completely subjective to how individuals play games. I heard that RE7 was a 6-8 hour game and it took me over 14 hours my first time.

Most RE games are not long in length for a single playthrough, anyway. They build replayability into the games with unlockables. Despite most RE games being under 5 hours in length I can easily get 30+ hours out of them.

Variable Rate Shading reportedly doesn't work/look as expected, either. Seems like there are a few things which need to be patched up. I bet we see such patches within the first two weeks----if not day 0.

Also, check Green Man Gaming for a deal on pre-ordering. I was able to get 20% off RE* without a special code, like a month ago. They often repeat their best pre-order deals a day or two before release.
I'm not using variable rate shading. And yeah I already bought the game from Green Man gaming a while back when they had it for 47.99.

I'm not using variable rate shading. And yeah I already bought the game from Green Man gaming a while back when they had it for 47.99.
Yep,that's he price I got! :high fives:

They also sent my steam code today. I'm assuming its to pre-load and not yet playable. I wont be near my gami g PC tonight to check...

and I was just saying that VRS is another thing which seems to need a patch in this game. In addition to the resolution scaler.

I feel that. In RE2 I died a lot when I was supposed to go somewhere or do something that was not immediately obvious. Dying multiple times until I figured out what I was supposed to do. Did anyone else have this type of experience? To me its basically as annoying as QTE.

Yep,that's he price I got! :high fives:

They also sent my steam code today. I'm assuming its to pre-load and not yet playable. I wont be near my gami g PC tonight to check...

and I was just saying that VRS is another thing which seems to need a patch in this game. In addition to the resolution scaler.
I just checked and after entering the key on Steam it says the game cant be unlocked yet and no pre-load was available. The pre-order stuff does show up in the DLC tab though so that is good.

Odd, since you can pre-load it on PS4/5 as of May 5th. But fortunately the game is only ~30GBs, which is relatively small for most AAA games today. I was surprised by that and went back to my RE7 install to see that it was only 31GBs too (on PS4 at least), so I wonder how they compressed a reportedly larger game with higher resolution textures and such into the same size package.

I find what others say about game length to be pretty inaccurate since it's completely subjective to how individuals play games. I heard that RE7 was a 6-8 hour game and it took me over 14 hours my first time.

Most RE games are not long in length for a single playthrough, anyway. They build replayability into the games with unlockables. Despite most RE games being under 5 hours in length I can easily get 30+ hours out of them.

At least in my case, I averaged around 9 hours in all 3 of my passes through RE7. The 6 hour people either don't explore much, or they're way smarter/better than me. The post-game unlockables in that one were disappointing, but at least it's a good game without them. The .44 magnum might as well not even be a normal weapon considering how little you get to use it. I kinda hoped there would be a NG+ where you could keep it and find more ammo.
Length-wise, I liked where RE4, 5, and 6 were. 4 was probably on the edge of being too long, but I enjoyed it so much that I didn't care. 6, too, although the different storylines got repetitious.

Odd, since you can pre-load it on PS4/5 as of May 5th. But fortunately the game is only ~30GBs, which is relatively small for most AAA games today. I was surprised by that and went back to my RE7 install to see that it was only 31GBs too (on PS4 at least), so I wonder how they compressed a reportedly larger game with higher resolution textures and such into the same size package.
A. its a cross-gen game. And its also the same base engine, but much improved from when they developed RE7.
B. I'm sure they are using better compression tech.
C. I saw some statements last night from Capcom, no pre-load on PC.

A. its a cross-gen game. And its also the same base engine, but much improved from when they developed RE7.
B. I'm sure they are using better compression tech.
C. I saw some statements last night from Capcom, no pre-load on PC.
Well yeah, all of that was obvious and announced. Except for I'd like to know the (probably proprietary) specifics of "B", their compression tech. It's pretty impressive if the game is that much longer/larger than RE7 that reviews are claiming and still the same install size.

Last edited:
I played about an hour and a half and had no performance issues at all and then when I went to exit the game it just locked up on the loading screen with the music playing. The keyboard was completely unresponsive so I had to restart the computer.

Well shit now when I try to load either of the last 2 saves it just closes out the game and goes back to desktop. I can load a much earlier save but then when I try to exit out of the game it just locks up again like it did the first time.

EDIT: Well fooled with this crap for nearly an hour and I think I finally got it straight now. I deleted all the saves and let the steam cloud reload them and the problem still existed. What I did then was just copy delete all the saves, disable steam cloud, and start a new game until I got to the first autosave. I was able to exit out of the game just fine and then I put the saves I had deleted back in the folder and the game runs just fine now. I'm able to load the last save and I'm able to exit out of the game with no issues. This has to be one of the strangest and most aggravating issues I've ever encountered and I'll be leaving steam cloud disabled for this game.

Last edited:
I just played the first 15 minutes. Very cool so far! The game doesn't seem to like to save all my display settings, though. It keeps reverting to a lower resolution in a window for some reason. Everything else luckily sticks. After playing RE7 last week, the level of detail in random objects is much higher. The textures are way less muddy, too.
The game seems to use its own HDR implementation, just like the demo. You don't have to enable HDR in Windows first. That's how everything was a few years ago and I kinda wish we'd go back to that for consistency.

I did about an hour or so- you end up at the "village" section of the demo. I really wasn't able to enjoy myself without the FOV mod, but something still feels wonky with mouse (negative?) acceleration. It seems that the game knows you will be dumping a lot of ammo, and it seems like there are two really interesting accommodations to this: your weapon switching speed is crazy fast, and the non-realtime crafting system exists to help generate ammo.

I can tank my frames down to sub-60 with every single feature turned on and to the max. Interlacing is a cheat, but it's effective of course.

I wish games game out on Mondays or something, now I have to spend the weekend with my girlfriend 🙄

So I beat the game on hardcore in around 9 hours, and that was taking my time looking for collectibles. I also min/maxed my weapons leaving out upgrades like reloading time.

Honestly? There weren’t enough different mobs. Many of the bosses had 2 or 3 mechanics and that’s it they just repeated.

Blocking is WAY over powered. I could block spinning blades from a huge mechanical boss, with almost no effect to my health, on hardcore mode. Not kidding.

the final boss fight didn’t even kill me once. I died only a handful of times during the play through. Most enemies could be circle tricked since there were rarely 2 or more of them in small spaces. Large crowds of enemies also could easily be routed because they were only present in large open areas with centrally located objects.

Story line? It’s good and follows RE7. Gameplay was alright, and even with endless wandering I spent around 9 hours, maybe 9 hours and 30 mins.

Maybe that’s because the enemy mechanics were so bad? Boss fight mechanics were easily defeated? I don’t know.

Graphics were top notch. It looked amazing. Yes I can tell it wasn’t a new engine, but it had better performance with similar looking graphics to RE7.

Overall I’d buy it now as a RE fan. I’d wait for a sale as a casual gamer. This game is really about the story. There are no real hard puzzles. Nothing that’s going to make you think for hours like in the original games. Everything is spoon fed to you. One puzzle is…. Ready for it? Shoot out 5 red lights to continue. Yea. Another is… Ring 5 bells all in the same room. Now that’s challenging /s The puzzles are no challenge. But overall a good game for lore.

I had a few minutes to play this morning and made it to a weird section where I'm supposed to kill/run from enemies to trigger a cutscene. No clue what I am/was supposed to do in order to trigger it, but it didn't work for my first dozen or so attempts...and then it randomly did? I'm not a fan of sequences like that. Do I need to kill enemies, run to a spot that makes sense, kill a certain number...?

EDIT: I'm also not feeling this weird colony of American expatriates living in what we're supposed to assume is Romania. Hopefully they address this at some point. Everything is written in English and everyone is speaking in a mostly neutral American accent. If it isn't laziness on Capcom's end, there better be a decent explanation for it.

Last edited:
I have a nasty stutter in game on my laptop, even in the menu, didn't have this issue with the demo. More like it'll just briefly get stuck but over and over. Anyone else have anything similar? RT on or off doesn't matter.

I have a nasty stutter in game on my laptop, even in the menu, didn't have this issue with the demo. More like it'll just briefly get stuck but over and over. Anyone else have anything similar? RT on or off doesn't matter.
try clearing the shader cache

Not sure how I feel about this one. I love the setting and the castle does have a realistic vibe that reminds me of the ones I've toured in Bavaria. Yet the game is pretty derivative of the remakes of 2 and 3. It boils down to going to the only place with an unlocked door, finding something inside that lets you unlock another door, and repeating that process. All the while you're being chased by an invincible foe that is obviously invincible and not frightening as a result. The bosses tend to be of the "puzzle boss" variety since they're also invincible until certain conditions are met. The vibe is RE4 while the game is RE2. I liked RE2, but I'm more of a fan of 4 and 7. In spite of this game being a sequel to 7, I don't think they're all that similar so far. Just the first-person perspective. I'm 3-4 hours in, so I'm hopeful some variety could be incoming later, too. Anyway, I'd say it's probably a 7/10 thus far. Still quite good, but a little disappointing.

Not sure how I feel about this one. I love the setting and the castle does have a realistic vibe that reminds me of the ones I've toured in Bavaria. Yet the game is pretty derivative of the remakes of 2 and 3. It boils down to going to the only place with an unlocked door, finding something inside that lets you unlock another door, and repeating that process. All the while you're being chased by an invincible foe that is obviously invincible and not frightening as a result. The bosses tend to be of the "puzzle boss" variety since they're also invincible until certain conditions are met. The vibe is RE4 while the game is RE2. I liked RE2, but I'm more of a fan of 4 and 7. In spite of this game being a sequel to 7, I don't think they're all that similar so far. Just the first-person perspective. I'm 3-4 hours in, so I'm hopeful some variety could be incoming later, too. Anyway, I'd say it's probably a 7/10 thus far. Still quite good, but a little disappointing.
Don’t hold your breath on variety. That was the biggest weakness of this game. That and the invincible overpowered blocking mechanism.

Don’t hold your breath on variety. That was the biggest weakness of this game. That and the invincible overpowered blocking mechanism.

Things have already opened up a little after I completed the castle, so that's something. For a while it was like RE2 but instead of a police station it was a castle. I have to condition myself to block, though. In RE7 I rarely touched that button after the first section of the game. In this game it does seem overly strong. I'm guessing it's their way of evening out the finite number of healing options.

Okay, I'm enjoying the game much more after the castle section. No spoilers, but the castle is basically only one of several large'ish domains where different foes reside. I found it to be a slog and it was everything I didn't like about RE2. Lots of avoiding enemies that just waste your time and ammo. Luckily it isn't that long and the game opens back up afterward.

Here's one pro trip I've discovered - don't shoot the flying enemies. They can't take much damage and they don't actually attack you unless you hang around in one spot. Instead just swing your knife like a madman and strafe around them. A few swings each will take them out and even a swarm of 6+ is unlikely to hit you more than a time or two. Especially if you block, too. Save your ammo and knife 'em. Just about every other enemy type takes dozens and dozens of knife hits, so it's basically only good for those enemies or for food.

I just got to the castle and did everything I can before I have to encounter the first bee lady and I'm kinda dreading it because I want to explore. Can I just buy a buncha shotgun shells and kill those guardian things in the jail or should I just run for it and run into the next friggin bee lady!? I'M TIRED OF THESE BEES.

I just got to the castle and did everything I can before I have to encounter the first bee lady and I'm kinda dreading it because I want to explore. Can I just buy a buncha shotgun shells and kill those guardian things in the jail or should I just run for it and run into the next friggin bee lady!? I'M TIRED OF THESE BEES.

Just because I know how annoying it is, I'll give you a quick tip. You can't normally kill the daughters (aka. the ladies with the bees). If you see them in the house, run around them. You'll end up in specific situations where you can fight and harm them. The game makes it relatively obvious, too. After the first one, you'll know what to do with the other 3. As far as the cellar enemies, pistol ammo is pretty plentiful and there's a lot of room to keep retreating and shooting at them from afar. The shotgun is quicker, but ammo is more scarce, too. There's a finite supply to how much you can buy, too. Some of the cellar enemies will eventually respawn, but they stay dead for a long time. If you want to come back later, about 1/2 of them will have respawned, but you can just run past them.

Just because I know how annoying it is, I'll give you a quick tip. You can't normally kill the daughters (aka. the ladies with the bees). If you see them in the house, run around them. You'll end up in specific situations where you can fight and harm them. The game makes it relatively obvious, too. After the first one, you'll know what to do with the other 3. As far as the cellar enemies, pistol ammo is pretty plentiful and there's a lot of room to keep retreating and shooting at them from afar. The shotgun is quicker, but ammo is more scarce, too. There's a finite supply to how much you can buy, too. Some of the cellar enemies will eventually respawn, but they stay dead for a long time. If you want to come back later, about 1/2 of them will have respawned, but you can just run past them.
Thanks for the tips. I'll lead the first daughter to the merchant to see if that changes her thirst for men.

try clearing the shader cache
Gave it a shot, no improvement. So confused about this. Demo ran so damn good for me. I get killer framerates. There’s just like a freeze every few seconds, it’s almost unplayable but I’m playing anyway.

Only thing I notice is a dip in clock speed and gpu utilization I presume at the same time. Maybe I’ll try a fresh driver install idk.

Has to be on my end not seeing any similar reports anywhere.

Back