Resident Evil Village (RE8)

RE4 is and probably always will be divisive. It’s the one where the series went from a nearly point + click style of adventure game to a 3rd-person pseudo shooter. A lot of people that loved the originals never liked RE4 and vice versa. I didn’t care for the first games, but I absolutely loved RE4.

RE5 and 6 focused on the part of 4 that I never really liked - feeling overwhelmed by #’s. They backed off on exploration and the sense that you were in over your head in a huge hostile world, though. Both were linear shooters for the most part. I blame the developers for focusing on the wrong things in RE4. I will admit that RE6 wasn’t as bad as people initially thought, though. I enjoyed it way more than 5, which I probably consider to be the worst of the main series. RE5 was a bad shooter. RE6 didn’t really know what it wanted to be, but the shooting mechanics were better than in 5.
That's a bad take. RE was originally a third person action/adventure like a lot of other games from that era. If you want a "nearly" point-and-click adventure horror game then look no further than D.
Well, I’d agree that it very much differed from the first 3, namely the whole las plagas thing vs zombies, plus saving the presidents daughter, really?

What set it apart though was just how damn good everything else was; the 3rd person over the shoulder camera, the laser targeting on the guns, the upgradability of the guns and the attachments, the varying environments enemies and bosses, just how well it played, even the interactive cut scenes, which iirc was among if not the first game to do it.

I don’t think I’ve ever replayed any game as much as RE4. But yeah, RE5 was a significant downgrade and RE6 was a complete dumpster fire. If 8 is as good (and scary) as 7 with some borrowed mechanics from 4 I’d say we are in for a treat!
Funny, since RE5 is still the best selling entry in the series, by far. RE6 is a close second. After multiple re-releases RE4 still comes up short to RE6 in total sales. Sales isn't necessarily a reflection of quality, but the broader audience appeal certainly helped the series. Keep this in perspective: RE4 sold less than 2 million units of the original Gamecube version, and the PS2 version only added 2 million more. The original release of RE5 (prior to the Gold Edition) sold twice as many copies at around 9 million. RE5 in all probability saved the series from extinction.

Funny, since RE5 is still the best selling entry in the series, by far. RE6 is a close second. After multiple re-releases RE4 still comes up short to RE6 in total sales. Sales isn't necessarily a reflection of quality, but the broader audience appeal certainly helped the series. Keep this in perspective: RE4 sold less than 2 million units of the original Gamecube version, and the PS2 version only added 2 million more. The original release of RE5 (prior to the Gold Edition) sold twice as many copies at around 9 million. RE5 in all probability saved the series from extinction.

I didn’t say 5 was a bad game, just that it wasn’t as good as 4. I’d speculate 5 sold better because it was actually marketed, I didn’t know about 4 until I saw it on a shelf, but I remember commercials for 5. I also think there was a lot of hype around it due to the success of 4. In any case, I’m not of the opinion that how well game sells implies how well a game plays. I couldn’t get past the first couple hours in 6 though.

I went back to 5 last year (I played all 7, mostly in a row) and thought it was pretty bad. I liked 6 more. At least it knew what it was - an action shooter. With 5, the game was geared around playing with another person. Without one, the AI just took your drops and ran around. It also lacked the forethought that 4 had. The devs knew you couldn't move and shoot, so the encounters were setup with that in mind. With 5 they threw that out the window and just overwhelmed you with numbers in all directions. It wasn't notably ultra hard, but I found the entire experience frustrating. 6 was tougher, but I at least felt in control of my situation. The melee system made close combat feel less tedious/annoying, too. Kicking seems like a logical defense against zombies you need to keep at more than arms-length.

I still don't like the original games much. They remind me of PC adventure games from the early 90's...only the game randomly wants you to move quickly and half-heartedly aim in spite of clunky controls and awkwardly changing camera angles. It wasn't scary, it just felt like your character was half blind with questionable motor skills.

I went back to 5 last year (I played all 7, mostly in a row) and thought it was pretty bad. I liked 6 more. At least it knew what it was - an action shooter. With 5, the game was geared around playing with another person. Without one, the AI just took your drops and ran around. It also lacked the forethought that 4 had. The devs knew you couldn't move and shoot, so the encounters were setup with that in mind. With 5 they threw that out the window and just overwhelmed you with numbers in all directions. It wasn't notably ultra hard, but I found the entire experience frustrating. 6 was tougher, but I at least felt in control of my situation. The melee system made close combat feel less tedious/annoying, too. Kicking seems like a logical defense against zombies you need to keep at more than arms-length.

I still don't like the original games much. They remind me of PC adventure games from the early 90's...only the game randomly wants you to move quickly and half-heartedly aim in spite of clunky controls and awkwardly changing camera angles. It wasn't scary, it just felt like your character was half blind with questionable motor skills.
Can't say I've had that experience with 5. I had a lot more fun in 5 than I did 6. You can't just have Sheva act on her own accord all the time. You need to control her inventory, weapons, and make use of the commands often. Also, if you're getting overrun by enemies then you might need to change your strategy in approaching that situation. The levels are actually setup in a way that you can erect a castle defense in every area. The end of the first level is the perfect example. If you stay in the initial building you can die quickly as you can be outflanked from every direction. If you move out and park in front of the exit gate all the enemies will funnel toward you from a single direction, there are obstacles that protect you from flying objects, and there is still room for you to run and escape if needed. 5 is much slower and deliberate, well 6 is faster and more frantic. That is why I like the former better than the latter.

I agree with you in regard to the forced coop mechanic in 5. Would have been much better if it were an option.

Is this going to be more like RE7 compared to RE2 Remake? I liked both but think I preferred RE2 Remake overall. RE3 Remake was also good but apparently not faithful to the original and not as good as 2 (IMO) but I preferred the more puzzle oriented gameplay. RE7 was more about the scares. Which is perfectly fine, I just preferred RE2.

Is this going to be more like RE7 compared to RE2 Remake? I liked both but think I preferred RE2 Remake overall. RE3 Remake was also good but apparently not faithful to the original and not as good as 2 (IMO) but I preferred the more puzzle oriented gameplay. RE7 was more about the scares. Which is perfectly fine, I just preferred RE2.

Yes, this is pretty much a direct continuation of RE7's story and plays pretty much just like it, if the 1st person perspective wasn't enough to make that clear.

Having played all REs except for RE6, RE7 is prolly my favorite in the series so far actually, as it strikes a nice balance between suspense and combat, I think. It's actually pretty similar to RE4, but with it being in the first person makes it a bit more immersive and therefore suspensful I think.

I really enjoyed 7. It flashes back to the vibe of the first game, but as a first-person game. I think that was deliberate and it was exactly what I wanted. Don't sleep on the DLC stuff, too. There's actually a lot of good content in there. The End of Zoe is both funny as hell and awesome.
The RE2 remake was terrific. I liked it nearly as much as 7. I prefer the house/rural setting vs. the police station, but it was otherwise comparable. With the remake of 3, my main gripe is how short it was. There wasn't much motivation to play it more than once, either.

Anyway, I'm pumped for RE8 to pick up where 7 left off. Literally my only fear is game length. 7 wasn't particularly long and neither were the remakes. They keep saying 8's the longest game using that engine...but that's not really saying much. If it's as long as RE7 with all the DLC included, I'd be okay with that.

Reactions: w35t
like this
will Village have Nvidia ray tracing support on Day 1 or is it a timed AMD exclusive?

since this is an AMD sponsored title and all they've been talking about is AMD ray-tracing I'm guessing this is going to be like Godfall with ray tracing being a timed exclusive...

https://twitter.com/Radeon/status/1367146627123867653
Wow, didn't know that. This might just push me to get it on PS5 instead then. This isn't really a twitch shooter and I played RE7 just fine on PS4 Pro (with and without VR), so don't think I'll miss my mouse on it.

I figure that ray tracing will eventually work for Nvidia cards (and other graphical details should still be better on PC), so that's likely the route I'm going. It's definitely arguable in this instance, though. The PS5 demo ran awfully smooth and looked good. Not as good as the PC RE7 with the details cranked, but still good. If ray tracing is years away or is a total game changer vs. the other graphical settings, that could change things.
I'll watch the reviews and Steam forums on release day to see what's amiss either way.

The Island of Dr. Moreau wonder if it's a cool place to hang out?​

Gearbox did it the best with their DLC.

Looks like the PS5 demo was available to play yesterday...but the times to play it coincided with the UFC, so I didn't get a chance to try it. The demo has a countdown that shows it'll be active again next week, though.

2/3/7 were all fine. Capcom has been on a role lately.

It's worth noting that Capcom is one of the best developers for PC ports, too. Ever since the Xbox 360 days they've packed them with additional features, graphical customizations, etc. and the games typically run really well.

It's worth noting that Capcom is one of the best developers for PC ports, too. Ever since the Xbox 360 days they've packed them with additional features, graphical customizations, etc. and the games typically run really well.

Capcom has always been a "port" company. Their big legacy is largely arcade ports translated to an array of other hardware and systems.

EDIT- it's also worth nothing that their arcade hardware in the 360 era was a PC that ran some reduced version of Windows.

Capcom has always been a "port" company. Their big legacy is largely arcade ports translated to an array of other hardware and systems.

Their current efforts are a breath of fresh air after what they used to put out on the PC. Their PC ports back in the 90's were notoriously bad. Not clue if they just hired some cut-rate other company to do it or what, but the ports were bad enough where they weren't even worth playing. Lost Planet changed everything. That was the first PC title that was not only very playable - it kicked the console version's ass if you had the hardware for it.

Their current efforts are a breath of fresh air after what they used to put out on the PC. Their PC ports back in the 90's were notoriously bad. Not clue if they just hired some cut-rate other company to do it or what, but the ports were bad enough where they weren't even worth playing. Lost Planet changed everything. That was the first PC title that was not only very playable - it kicked the console version's ass if you had the hardware for it.
Lost Planet was used as a benchmark for a very long time and continued to do endure as a CPU benchmark at low resolution. That really says a lot about Capcom's turnaround with their game engines.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Resident Evil Village Extends Availability for its Final Demo from a Single Day to a Week

The final Village demo will be available on all platforms, and will allow you to play unrestricted through either the Village or Castle areas (you have to choose one) for up to one hour...that hasn’t changed, but previously Capcom was only allowing players access to the demo during a single 24-hour period – thankfully that’s now been extended to a full week...

North America - May 1 at 5pm PT to May 9 at 5pm PT
UK - May 2 at 1am PT BST to May 10 at 1am BST
Europe - May 2 at 2am CEST to May 10 at 2am CEST

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1386697010686930951

Reactions: T4rd
like this
This is really cool. I was afraid the demo would be only be out for an hour on Saturday night again.

Yeah! Besides that, its 2021 baby! Guys can chop their dicks off and vice versa and be called whatever gender they want, you know necrophilia is just around the corner, hell its probably popular in some countries, just hasn't made it to the US yet, kinda like K-Pop in the early 00's.

That wasn't really due to Capcom sucking but a lot of factors involved that stemmed from the arcade scene and Japan being Japan.

First, PCs were (and still are) not a popular gaming platform in Japan. Outside of really odd incel nerds who play rape and hentai simulator/story games they just never took off. Porting stuff to PC is largely a waste of time there.

In the 90's and early 2000's even Capcom mostly developed on arcade hardware that was theirs or SEGAs. Porting off of it to non SEGA platforms could be a pain, plus at the time those platforms were typically stronger than a PC of the time. SEGA home consoles were typically neutered versions of the arcade. This is also why SEGA in particular got so many great ports from CAPCOM that crapped all over the SONY versions. Combine all this and you had CAPCOMs port situation. Why bother with a port to the platform for perverts which is under powered to start with? It's a gigantic waste of resources. Anybody who proposed putting competent people on that sort of idiocy should be fired on site. So those ports were pretty much all third parties that came to them looking to port it.

What changed was about the PS3 era CAPCOM moved to TAITO hardware, as did all sorts of Japanese developers. Part of that was SEGA getting out of the hardware business and there were some holdouts in the arcades many got blown out (Namco/Baindai still used SONY based stuff for some games). The funny part of the TAITOs is they were all off the shelf PC hardware. So all of these were Pentium 4 - i5 Haswell and old AGP 9600 256 - GTX 1080 systems that ran embedded XP/7/8. So all of a sudden you had Capcom, SNK, AR System, Atlus, Bandai, Namco all churring out games on (for their times) pretty decent Windows boxes.

Combine that shift in hardware for the arcades all over Asia and the PS4/XboxONE total move to x86 stuff. It's also tough to really call it "porting" now. Western PC gamers gained a lot from it, but it really had nothing to do with us or the PC as a platform.

That wasn't really due to Capcom sucking but a lot of factors involved that stemmed from the arcade scene and Japan being Japan.

First, PCs were (and still are) not a popular gaming platform in Japan. Outside of really odd incel nerds who play rape and hentai simulator/story games they just never took off. Porting stuff to PC is largely a waste of time there.

In the 90's and early 2000's even Capcom mostly developed on arcade hardware that was theirs or SEGAs. Porting off of it to non SEGA platforms could be a pain, plus at the time those platforms were typically stronger than a PC of the time. SEGA home consoles were typically neutered versions of the arcade. This is also why SEGA in particular got so many great ports from CAPCOM that crapped all over the SONY versions. Combine all this and you had CAPCOMs port situation. Why bother with a port to the platform for perverts which is under powered to start with? It's a gigantic waste of resources. Anybody who proposed putting competent people on that sort of idiocy should be fired on site. So those ports were pretty much all third parties that came to them looking to port it.

What changed was about the PS3 era CAPCOM moved to TAITO hardware, as did all sorts of Japanese developers. Part of that was SEGA getting out of the hardware business and there were some holdouts in the arcades many got blown out (Namco/Baindai still used SONY based stuff for some games). The funny part of the TAITOs is they were all off the shelf PC hardware. So all of these were Pentium 4 - i5 Haswell and old AGP 9600 256 - GTX 1080 systems that ran embedded XP/7/8. So all of a sudden you had Capcom, SNK, AR System, Atlus, Bandai, Namco all churring out games on (for their times) pretty decent Windows boxes.

Combine that shift in hardware for the arcades all over Asia and the PS4/XboxONE total move to x86 stuff. It's also tough to really call it "porting" now. Western PC gamers gained a lot from it, but it really had nothing to do with us or the PC as a platform.

Good to know. I have memories of Super Street Fighter Turbo, DmC 3, and even RE1 being horrendous. I actually bought 2 of those and returned them to Software Etc. they were so bad.
No clue how representative they are of the general population, but basically all of the elite players Street Fighter 5 community primarily play on the PC. All the Japanese pros included. Both streamers and just normal players. Tekken for that matter, too, although that isn't a Capcom game. The idea of anyone seriously playing fighting games on a PC would have been absurd even 7-8 years ago. It went from a "we might as well make a PC version" to one of their main platforms. There are still easily more console players, but the % is changing pretty quickly.

Good to know. I have memories of Super Street Fighter Turbo, DmC 3, and even RE1 being horrendous. I actually bought 2 of those and returned them to Software Etc. they were so bad.
No clue how representative they are of the general population, but basically all of the elite players Street Fighter 5 community primarily play on the PC. All the Japanese pros included. Both streamers and just normal players. Tekken for that matter, too, although that isn't a Capcom game. The idea of anyone seriously playing fighting games on a PC would have been absurd even 7-8 years ago. It went from a "we might as well make a PC version" to one of their main platforms. There are still easily more console players, but the % is changing pretty quickly.

Well I mean the start was the PS3 era. All the "not namco" fighters from that era were built on the Type X-2. Some friends of mine had the cabinets specs are:

Taito Type X2[edit]
The Type X2 (stylized as Type X²) system-board uses an updated Intel platform with a PCI-express system bus, and supports more recent graphics GPUs and Intel CPUs than those supported by Type X.

It's entirely a PC. You could install multiple games on them and updated the stupid things with USB dongles while over the internet. Hence why starting with Street Fighter 4, everything started on some form of a PC and all the amazing Japanese ports that started to come in that era.

Tekken moved over in the PS4 era. Namco used to use Sony platforms based off Playstations for the longest time as their base platform, they moved to Taito and the Playstation moved to x86.

Capcom has essentially been a PC developer since the PS3 era but gets most of their sales on consoles.

Back