Resident Evil 7 / Biohazard 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour

I just played the demo...doesn't really give me a traditional RE vibe at all. I guess the full game is different?
The start of the game is similar to the demo, but after you get access to the full house it plays more like the originals from a first-person perspective.

If you've played the demo, you'll get some fun surprises in the full game. Just when you think you know what to expect, they made a couple minor changes that keep it fun.

no Claire and no Jill, i hope they all get cancer and aids in the ass and burn in hell.

Question. Are you supposed to kill all of the molded? Seems that my ammo will deplete quickly if I do so. But it's kind of hard to explore rooms when they keep popping up. Am I supposed to knife them to death to conserve ammo? Seems... dangerous.

Reactions: djoye
like this
Question. Are you supposed to kill all of the molded? Seems that my ammo will deplete quickly if I do so. But it's kind of hard to explore rooms when they keep popping up. Am I supposed to knife them to death to conserve ammo? Seems... dangerous.
I wanna know this. I bought the game when I got gift money in December, haven't even played the demo (I need to do that to get the coin, I guess) because I'm scared. I like to be able to casually explore in games, but if the boogieman is going to be popping up randomly then I want to know what I need to be doing to suppress him.

I beat RE 7 a couple days ago having never played a RE game. It took around 10 hrs to complete the game while getting most of the collectables. I'd give it a 8.5 / 10 for survival horror fans. The first 2/3 of the game is really well done, the last third is kind of a generic shooter.

It's short enough that I'm considering another playthrough on Madhouse difficulty. There are enough shortcuts and secrets in the game that a 2nd playthrough is warranted, there's even a major choice midway through the game that changes the ending.

Last edited:

There are some that are actually placed while others are truly random. I'd suggest avoiding them if you can. I don't think any of them dropped anything and even the scripted/placed ones can be avoided if you just want to grab what they're guarding. There might be a couple you're supposed to kill (or they'll follow you), but they aren't the same ones that seem to form out of the blue. Once you complete the area you're in you can freely explore everything without worry.

No spoilers, but the last battle in that area is a sonofabitch. I struggled mightily with it and the time I won it felt like luck. It's almost like a Dark Souls fight. After that, things open up a lot. I just completed the next area and am enjoying it as more of an exploratory mission.

On a graphical note, anyone else find the weird sheen on wet and metal objects to be a little "off"? It looks a lot like when light is peeking through the gap between textures in other games. I don't really want to get rid of the effect, but I'd like to dial it down a little.

You RE 7 guys should pick up The Evil Within it's like Dirty Cheap on CD keys.

Based on all of the stuttering Evil Within gave me, I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

Seems fun enough, and can be tense, but it really needed more work. The inventory is a pain to use and you can't drop items. There is a part of the game where you have to try swap a broken item for a fixed item, meaning you need the broken item in your inventory. Problem is if it is full, you can't just walk up to it and swap the items. You have to make room. You'd think you could drop the broken item, pick up the other, drop that, pick up the broken item and place it in the appropriate area, and then pick up the new item. Instead you have to spend 10 minutes walking around to a storage area. It really sucks you would of the experience and screams "yes you're still playing a game, and one that was not tested very well".

Then there is a part in which you must combine two items to create a new weapon. But the game does not tell you how to do this. So now you have two items taking up limited space that can't be combined, even though the game is telling you to combine them. But does tell you how. Other massive shortcomings is the inability to have a hot key to switch weapons with. The game automatically assigns the keys 1,2,3 and 4 to a weapon. But if you remove them from your inventory in the event you got a new weapon, you loose that assignment and can not put another weapon in its place. So when you're being mauled by a monster, you have to hit the I key, bring up the clunky inventory which has very slow mouse movement, and double click on the weapon you want to use. If you're not already dead, you're good to go.

More of a Windows 10 issue, but the game cannot be minimized either. So looking for workarounds for the shoddy game mechanics are a no go unless you want to exit the game entirely. If you are far from a save point, better turn on another device and look it up there. Can't fault the game too much for this as it is mainly a Win 10 shortcoming, but other games can minimize somewhat decently even in Win 10. RE7 has around a ~10% success rate, and when you maximize it, your frame rates will be cut in half until you restart the game.

There is also a wonderful bug upon loading the game which does not allow you to click anything. This happens around 50% of the time. Because you can't click on anything in the menu, hit ALT F4 to exit the game and try again.

You can not customize the majority of control bindings either, and most of them are simply unlabled. If you don't magically know what button you're supposed to use for something, off to Google. And remember, that means exiting the game and likely re-starting 2-3 times at least.

Had the glaring shortcomings been fixed, it could have been a good 8/10 game. But as it is, it sadly slides in at around a 6/10. It needed some work before being shoved out the door for a pre-mature release. A lot of potential. Such an awesome opportunity missed. You're better off waiting a few months when they patch the bugs and maybe release some big content updates; by then you'll probably be able to grab it for $5 which is all it is worth.

Last edited:
Inventory management has long been an issue with the RE games. It adds an odd artificial challenge to pretty much all of them. You eventually find some backpacks that make your inventory larger (like in the other games) but by the time you do, you kinda don't need that much space anymore. I found myself needing space for ammo and extra keys and whatnot earlier. Not sure how far I am, but I just found the two colored keys and I can actually stash most of the other keys and whatnot since I've opened all of those doors already.

I hate that I can't remap the gamepad controls. I desperately want to move crouch to anything other than the right stick. Any time I get in a battle, I find myself constantly crouching by mistake. It doesn't seem like anything is mapped to B or RB, yet I can't do anything about it.

Inventory management has long been an issue with the RE games. It adds an odd artificial challenge to pretty much all of them. You eventually find some backpacks that make your inventory larger (like in the other games) but by the time you do, you kinda don't need that much space anymore. I found myself needing space for ammo and extra keys and whatnot earlier. Not sure how far I am, but I just found the two colored keys and I can actually stash most of the other keys and whatnot since I've opened all of those doors already.

I hate that I can't remap the gamepad controls. I desperately want to move crouch to anything other than the right stick. Any time I get in a battle, I find myself constantly crouching by mistake. It doesn't seem like anything is mapped to B or RB, yet I can't do anything about it.
You can remap controls on any controller through Steam, even set specific configurations for different games. You have to do it through Big Picture mode, though.

If you have the Windows Store version you can use the Xbox Accessories app. Unfortunately they locked it down to the Elite controller on PC.

You can remap controls on any controller through Steam, even set specific configurations for different games. You have to do it through Big Picture mode, though.

If you have the Windows Store version you can use the Xbox Accessories app. Unfortunately they locked it down to the Elite controller on PC.

I forgot about the Steam thing. Will have to do that tonight! Sadly, I don't have an Xbox Elite controller. I'm on my 3rd Xbox One controller (thanks to broken RB and LB's) so I can't justify dropping $150 for something I'm likely to break inside a year.

I forgot about the Steam thing. Will have to do that tonight! Sadly, I don't have an Xbox Elite controller. I'm on my 3rd Xbox One controller (thanks to broken RB and LB's) so I can't justify dropping $150 for something I'm likely to break inside a year.
The Elite controller is built like the PS2 controllers of yore. Of course, those were only $40 at the time, but just know that if you ever do decide to drop $150 on the Elite controller that you get what you pay for. I absolutely love mine.

The Elite controller is built like the PS2 controllers of yore. Of course, those were only $40 at the time, but just know that if you ever do decide to drop $150 on the Elite controller that you get what you pay for. I absolutely love mine.

I initially planned on buying one, but a friend that got one broke his left bumper after 3 months. MS pretty much just shrugged, too. That tiny little piece holding the bumpers in place on all Xbox One controllers is super thin and fragile. It looks metal on the Elite, but it's just molded plastic like the others. I think that's one of the reasons they're so much lighter than the 360 pads.
As someone who plays a lot of fighting games, I'm rough on shoulder buttons. I've never broken a 360 or PS2 bumper, but I've gone through 3 Xbox One and PS3 pads. No issues with the PS4 controller so far, although the trigger area is so sharp I kinda forces me to be less rough on it.

On a graphical note, anyone else find the weird sheen on wet and metal objects to be a little "off"? It looks a lot like when light is peeking through the gap between textures in other games. I don't really want to get rid of the effect, but I'd like to dial it down a little.

Yeah I do, odd glittery effect.

The aa in this game bugs me. When you have fxaa and txaa it's super vasoline-y, just txaa too, but with just fxaa it needs more.

Have any of you alt-tabbed out of this game? When I do and come back the game runs like crap, like down to 15 fps.

Seems fun enough, and can be tense, but it really needed more work. The inventory is a pain to use and you can't drop items. There is a part of the game where you have to try swap a broken item for a fixed item, meaning you need the broken item in your inventory. Problem is if it is full, you can't just walk up to it and swap the items. You have to make room. You'd think you could drop the broken item, pick up the other, drop that, pick up the broken item and place it in the appropriate area, and then pick up the new item. Instead you have to spend 10 minutes walking around to a storage area. It really sucks you would of the experience and screams "yes you're still playing a game, and one that was not tested very well".

Then there is a part in which you must combine two items to create a new weapon. But the game does not tell you how to do this. So now you have two items taking up limited space that can't be combined, even though the game is telling you to combine them. But does tell you how. Other massive shortcomings is the inability to have a hot key to switch weapons with. The game automatically assigns the keys 1,2,3 and 4 to a weapon. But if you remove them from your inventory in the event you got a new weapon, you loose that assignment and can not put another weapon in its place. So when you're being mauled by a monster, you have to hit the I key, bring up the clunky inventory which has very slow mouse movement, and double click on the weapon you want to use. If you're not already dead, you're good to go.

More of a Windows 10 issue, but the game cannot be minimized either. So looking for workarounds for the shoddy game mechanics are a no go unless you want to exit the game entirely. If you are far from a save point, better turn on another device and look it up there. Can't fault the game too much for this as it is mainly a Win 10 shortcoming, but other games can minimize somewhat decently even in Win 10. RE7 has around a ~10% success rate, and when you maximize it, your frame rates will be cut in half until you restart the game.

There is also a wonderful bug upon loading the game which does not allow you to click anything. This happens around 50% of the time. Because you can't click on anything in the menu, hit ALT F4 to exit the game and try again.

You can not customize the majority of control bindings either, and most of them are simply unlabled. If you don't magically know what button you're supposed to use for something, off to Google. And remember, that means exiting the game and likely re-starting 2-3 times at least.

Had the glaring shortcomings been fixed, it could have been a good 8/10 game. But as it is, it sadly slides in at around a 6/10. It needed some work before being shoved out the door for a pre-mature release. A lot of potential. Such an awesome opportunity missed. You're better off waiting a few months when they patch the bugs and maybe release some big content updates; by then you'll probably be able to grab it for $5 which is all it is worth.

I was very surprised at the choice to remove the drop feature which was real boon to the series. Mildly irritating. I found combat to be generally cumbersome despite being an FPS. They intentionally make you kind of a shitty shot. I understand the idea, but it just came off as obnoxious with the added issue of the monsters already being difficult to hit.

yeah the weapon switching problems got me killed several times. If you used scroll wheel to switch weapons but you have an empty slot inbetween you were left with your dick in your hands. Item collection was made intention difficult and they added the pills to find items for you. I didn't like that. There's a difference between making a game more challenging and just being a dick.

The minimize issue I noticed but didnt bother me. Oddly the game starting with your mouse unable to click went away when I updated drivers.

The button scheme was a pain in general.

Outside of that I just didn't enjoy it very much. There's several false endings to the game and the plot felt aimless. One of the major complaints you hear about shotty horror films is the question of "Why go in there, why are we just exploring." This game is really bad about that. Then there's this pointless and bizarre choice scene where one of the choices doesn't have any rhyme or reason to it, is clearly wrong and gives you a shitty ending. I intentionally chose it just seeing what happens and in doing so when you get to that next stage literally Ethan just says "I gotta investigate this." no you fucking dont, there's no reason you would do that.

Combat wasn't very fun. Story kinda sucked. Tone was all over the place. Maybe a 7/10 for me. I'd play a another ..probably.

The aa in this game bugs me. When you have fxaa and txaa it's super vasoline-y, just txaa too, but with just fxaa it needs more.

Same. I tried all of the settings and I wasn't really happy with any of them. SMAA actually looks best to me, but it's way too weak. The others have varying degrees of effectiveness, but each one also has a major downside. I've grown to be okay with FXAA over the years, but it's especially blurry in this game. TAA, too.

Just finished it, I thought it was fan-freaking-tastic! I thought the story was great, much better than 4/5/6, 4 was especially corny IMO. Yes the combat is a bit wonky but you're not supposed to feel like a superhuman, that adds to the lore or at least the intensity of the encounters I think. Although, you do end up killing everything I guess, would be better it would be better sometimes to not fight and sneak around (had that a little but not really). Didn't like the pill thing but I only used em a couple times, I enjoy exploring every nook and cranny in games anyway, except after I got the 'arm', I ran outta there fast as hell lol. The weapon switching thing? Not sure the issue there, on kbm you just push a number key like any other shooter and on controller use the d-pad, ezpz.

I mostly just wished it was longer, more content, items, locations, scenery changes etc., but apparently there's new free content we can expect in the fall. I think this is a great direction for the series to move toward.

Haven't had much time to play this week. I just completed the Boathouse fight only to notice that there is a TON of ammo available in that fight. Seriously, it's worth replaying if you didn't grab it all. I won it on my first try, but had to replay it a couple times after seeing all the stuff I missed. I ended up coming away with something like 50 shotgun shells and 100+ pistol rounds.

Completed this today, took about 11 hours overall. Great game and a return to form for the RE franchise. Visuals, level design, atmosphere were all exceptional. The gameplay, while simplistic in nature, is exactly what was needed to bring the old school feel of the RE games into a modern era.

The actual world design, especially the indoor areas (95% of the game) are probably the game's highlight. Every single room felt handcrafted top to bottom, you could stop in any room of the game and marvel at the attention to detail of "everything", the models; the lighting; the atmosphere; the layout; the 'story' of the room being told - it's one of the those games where the amount of time the devs spent on the design of one room, is the same as another game's devs might spend on an entire level. For any gamers who like to stop and admire the little bits and pieces of the world he's playing in, this game would be a treat.

I could see a valid complaint being the length of the title, many players will finish this in about 8 hours - however the game is designed with multiple optional hidden areas/items, a plot choice midway, and different item locations depending on difficulty to encourage multiple playthroughs. One is enough for me though, PC gamers got this for 35 bucks so no complaints there. It would have been nice if there was another world area in the game (like a hospital or police station to bring back some of the RE nostalgia), but that may cause the game to drag on too much. Congrats capcom on bringing this franchise back on track.

Completed this today, took about 11 hours overall. Great game and a return to form for the RE franchise. Visuals, level design, atmosphere were all exceptional. The gameplay, while simplistic in nature, is exactly what was needed to bring the old school feel of the RE games into a modern era.

The actual world design, especially the indoor areas (95% of the game) are probably the game's highlight. Every single room felt handcrafted top to bottom, you could stop in any room of the game and marvel at the attention to detail of "everything", the models; the lighting; the atmosphere; the layout; the 'story' of the room being told - it's one of the those games where the amount of time the devs spent on the design of one room, is the same as another game's devs might spend on an entire level. For any gamers who like to stop and admire the little bits and pieces of the world he's playing in, this game would be a treat.

I could see a valid complaint being the length of the title, many players will finish this in about 8 hours - however the game is designed with multiple optional hidden areas/items, a plot choice midway, and different item locations depending on difficulty to encourage multiple playthroughs. One is enough for me though, PC gamers got this for 35 bucks so no complaints there. It would have been nice if there was another world area in the game (like a hospital or police station to bring back some of the RE nostalgia), but that may cause the game to drag on too much. Congrats capcom on bringing this franchise back on track.

Thats a great review, thanks. Now you sold me. Downloading it right now.

finished, OH. MY. GOD.

awesome, best horror game in a looong long time, perfect, everything flawless, art, graphics, soundtrack, story, everything, jee-sus. now im feeling like doing a second run in madhouse :p

congrats CAPCOM :)

Won everything yesterday, too. I didn't mind the ship area, but it felt like once I completed it I would be heading back to the house...and then the game just ended.
I never did have enough coins to buy the 44 magnum. If you choose to open it last, you have to find all of the previous coins and you still can't get it until like 5 minutes before the end of the game.
I wasn't a fan of the finale, but otherwise had a great time with the game. I'll probably also give Madhouse a shot. If not now, soon at least.
I'd say it's a solid 8/10. It's a bit too short and the difficulty is uneven, but the graphics are phenomenal. It's up there for best graphics ever if you're willing to overlook faces and the weird shine to like 1/2 the objects in the game. The pacing is also fun. To have so few actual enemies, it does a great job of making you forget that.

oh yeah, didnt got the magnum either, for the next play i think i'll first watch some youtube son of a bitch showing me all the locations of those coins :p

my last save stats:
ORyNjKE.jpg

My stats were very close to those as well. I think I found one more stabilizer and one less steroid. I rocked a pad the whole time. With Madhouse supposedly favoring headshots even more than normal, I might have to bust out a KB/M setup here and there.

cool :p, i did play with kb/m, i also disabled auto-aim at the beginning of the game because it was causing my shots to be a little off

The one I want to go back and play the most (Resident Evil 4) is genuinely tough to play now. Because it wasn't really designed with the modern mouselook (or dual analog aiming) in mind, the game doesn't do well with it. I might need to tinker with the options in the remaster, but when it came out nothing felt right. I gave up quickly since it was only like $5.

The one I want to go back and play the most (Resident Evil 4) is genuinely tough to play now. Because it wasn't really designed with the modern mouselook (or dual analog aiming) in mind, the game doesn't do well with it. I might need to tinker with the options in the remaster, but when it came out nothing felt right. I gave up quickly since it was only like $5.

Google resident evil 4 mouse fix, theres an autopatch that fixes it. Its some batch file or something that fixes it. I have it backed up somewhere but I havent used it in like 10 years.

Last edited:
Wow is this game ever a VRAM hog. At 4k with everything maxed and HDR on I saw up to 11.4 gb (!!) vram usage

Patch just released yesterday removed SSSE3 SIMD instructions from the game. They just deliberately made the game run worse because of the vocal idiots who refuse to upgrade their CPU.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/418370/announcements/detail/675940099450677396
Wow is this game ever a VRAM hog. At 4k with everything maxed and HDR on I saw up to 11.4 gb (!!) vram usage
The game is probably caching assets in VRAM, which is a good thing. The less it has to swap between system RAM and VRAM, the better.

Game is pretty fun so far. Just got past the garage with what's his face crazy guy. Got a little nauseated with camera movements. 980 TI sli fix with Batman origin profile works albeit there are some texture shining. VRAM usage is lame as fuk for this type of game. Home the next patch or Nvidia driver fixes it. Still very fun and scary as shit!!!!!

Back