Resident Evil 7 / Biohazard 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard review

Resident Evil goes back to its founding principles for a more cohesive and chilling breed of horror game that stops short of greatness...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-23-resident-evil-7-biohazard-review_7

"There's a dispiriting reliance on scripted jump-scares..."

As a lifelong RE fan, this is the exact kind of horror game I despise. Jump scares are the fucking easy and shitty way to get scares. Sure, some can be effective but they need to be few and far between. RE and even Silent Hill's appeal has always been the fear of the unknown. Fear of running out of ammo or some health supply, incredible sound design full of foreign sounds, and never knowing when to use a ink ribbon to save b/c I could run out, or if I should pick up one item in favor of another... while there have always been monsters in these series, they never had to rely on jump scares to create a feeling of dread and fear that survival-horror games are best known for.

Last edited:
No PC VR support until 2018? In a year the game will be 19.99, hope that's what they sell it for then.

For the love of frame rates, do not use HBAO+, use SSAO instead. I have a GTX 1080 with plenty of power; with everything cranked in-game, it would play between 60-80 FPS and sometimes dip to around 50 FPS. I toggled one of those newer settings (sub-surface scattering?), that didn't help, switched to SSAO and suddenly the game is rendering at over 160 FPS. Is HBAO+ super demanding in dark environments?

How big is the PC download for RE7?

Reviews are looking very good. 86 on metacritic right now.

Does anyone know if this will have 21:9 support? The demo didn't.

Steam forums say Ultrawide support is still black bars. So not working atm.

My Razer Orbweaver Chroma gamepad doesn't work in RE7, I'm forced to use my keyboard. Aside from that the game runs great so far, I'm only an hour in.

is hdr working on pc for those with an hdr tv? i know it didnt work at all in the demo.

Yes! It works and it kicks in automatically. Just like with PS4 games my TV gave me the "HDR Content" alert.
Even better, Capcom even has an in-game HDR tuner that allows you to adjust your HDR brightness to match the rest of your settings. Every HDR game needs this.
I only had 5 minutes to start the game up and fire up the opening scene, but I'm really impressed. The initial area looked like a cutscene, and it's a little bit of a shock once you realize you can look around in the car. I'm really, really pumped to play this game tonight. Hopefully I have some time to spend on it.

The reviews are pretty god from Steam and if you know anything about steam they are a very very hard crowd to please with anything. I think I'll skip this and pick up Conan next week CD keys had to raise their price 9.00 over 12 hour period.

Last edited:
"There's a dispiriting reliance on scripted jump-scares..."

As a lifelong RE fan, this is the exact kind of horror game I despise. Jump scares are the fucking easy and shitty way to get scares. Sure, some can be effective but they need to be few and far between. RE and even Silent Hill's appeal has always been the fear of the unknown. Fear of running out of ammo or some health supply, incredible sound design full of foreign sounds, and never knowing when to use a ink ribbon to save b/c I could run out, or if I should pick up one item in favor of another... while there have always been monsters in these series, they never had to rely on jump scares to create a feeling of dread and fear that survival-horror games are best known for.

I will say I avoided playing the game "Outlast" for about 2 years because it was the progenitor of those obnoxious Youtuber jump scare games. However once I played I was rewarded with a game much closer to FEAR where it was more about environment tension and atmosphere than just "RING RING BANANA BLAH" jump out at you bullshit. Outlast, for lack of a better description, was fucking amazing.

I'm downloading Resident Evil 7 now. For all my hemming and hawwing I end up buying every resident evil game because I'm a fucking idiot(Revelations 2 specifically can go fuck itself Broken port POS). I have every RE game, most of them memorized and have beaten Code Veronica like 5 times(love that game). I'm not gonna get into politics but the RE7 gameplay looks very clearly ripped off from Outlast.

I'll try and beat it tonight and report back. I heard it's kind of short.

Last edited:
The reviews are pretty god from Steam and if you know anything about steam they are a very very hard crowd to please with anything. I think I'll skip this and pick up Conan next week CD keys had to raise their price 9.00 over 12 hour period.

Let me get this straight, "the reviews are really good so I'll skip it and get Conan".

God bless you, Comix. Don't ever change! :D

I have every RE game, most of them memorized and have beaten Code Veronica like 5 times(love that game).

I'll try and beat it tonight and report back. I heard it's kind of short.

Code Veronica has always been my favorite RE game. Also, the preliminary reports say saying it's a 9-12 hour campaign which for a RE game is short but not for a SP game nowadays. Plus I only spent $32 on RE 7 so i'm happy with that.

The demo felt like Outlast. Certainly more polished and varied, but also clearly inspired by it. A little bit of Outlast crossed with Texas Chainsaw and with just a little bit of Resident Evil.
Yet I like all of those things, so I'm okay with it.
In terms of length, there might be more depth than you initially think. The demo could be completed 4 different ways and there were large areas in it that you didn't even have to touch. That might carry over to the full game. I wish I wasn't at work right now...

Code Veronica has always been my favorite RE game. Also, the preliminary reports say saying it's a 9-12 hour campaign which for a RE game is short but not for a SP game nowadays. Plus I only spent $32 on RE 7 so i'm happy with that.

Its silly but I went ahead and bought it on steam full price. If its really a mess like some people are saying I'd rather be refund eligible, I'm captain disposable income though.

Yes! It works and it kicks in automatically. Just like with PS4 games my TV gave me the "HDR Content" alert.
Even better, Capcom even has an in-game HDR tuner that allows you to adjust your HDR brightness to match the rest of your settings. Every HDR game needs this.
I only had 5 minutes to start the game up and fire up the opening scene, but I'm really impressed. The initial area looked like a cutscene, and it's a little bit of a shock once you realize you can look around in the car. I'm really, really pumped to play this game tonight. Hopefully I have some time to spend on it.

good to hear it. ill have to pick this up as soon as it goes on sale. ive boughten too many games lately to justify another one.

I can't believe you can play this in VR on the PS4. Def sold me on the PS4 VR. Picking it up after tax season!

Its silly but I went ahead and bought it on steam full price. If its really a mess like some people are saying I'd rather be refund eligible, I'm captain disposable income though.

Lol. I understand that. Personally, Resident Evil has been my favorite series of all time and I would buy it regardless. Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid have always been day one buys for me... yes, even the shitty ones post Code Veronica.

Not surprisingly the UWP-gimped windows store version is an unplayable disaster..

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-store-version-of-resident-evil-7-reportedly-plagued-by-performance-issues

Think I'll stick with Steam.
Glad I didn't get that version, then. Was kind of depressed about getting the Steam version after the Play Anywhere announcement.
RE5 and RE6 were both around 6 hours long in a casual playthrough, so if this is true it would make it the longest RE since RE4. RE4 took me about 18 hours the first time and takes me around 11-12 hours these days.

Glad I didn't get that version, then. Was kind of depressed about getting the Steam version after the Play Anywhere announcement.

Since it's a single player game and since I had a $100 Microsoft gift certificate from my Vive purchase, I got the UWA version and it's running great at 4k all maxed out except HBAO+ ambient occlusion which pretty much halves the performance from about a sustained 60 FPS with only a single 1080, no SLI support out of the box for the Steam Win32 version either I believe. Looks like there was a problem for some right at launch but it looks like that was resolved.

I've put in about an hour and am happy. The Outlast comparisons are VERY easy to make. Even though you can attack, you feel nearly as powerless.
The graphics are the star of the show. The outside areas are borderline photo-realistic at times. Not sure if it's the HDR effects or just good art, but the way the woods look at dusk is eerily just like the real thing. The first area is essentially the demo, but with some very clear changes to the plot and circumstances.
While there are clearly things you can't access early on, it feels pretty linear so far. Several other were too, but I think this one feels like you should be able to explore more than you can.
I'm playing at 4K, but set the internal render at 60% so that it looks native/clean but it never drops below 60fps. I learned that trick with Street Fighter 5.

Curious to what this mess is. The demo ran great and so does the full game.. Game isn't demanding at all. Also check out GreenManGaming.. They sell games cheaper then Steam... ( Steam keys too )

The Outlast comparisons are VERY easy to make.

It's perspective is like Outlast.. But the game plays very similar to RE1 actually.. ( minus the perspective change )

Game runs and looks great on my system. 2560x1440 with all options at their highest including HBAO+ and I was getting 140-200 FPS. I tried bumping the res up to 5K but FPS tanked to 40. Settled on 2560x1440 with 1.5 resolution scaling and getting 70-80 FPS. Only thing that really bothered me were the puddles in the beginning that had hard edges and low res reflections. I'm guessing they're expecting you to turn the in-game brightness down all the way to hide those kinds of things. But I thought the facial animations were much better than CGI Tarkin :p.
I've put in about an hour and am happy. The Outlast comparisons are VERY easy to make. Even though you can attack, you feel nearly as powerless.
The graphics are the star of the show. The outside areas are borderline photo-realistic at times. Not sure if it's the HDR effects or just good art, but the way the woods look at dusk is eerily just like the real thing. The first area is essentially the demo, but with some very clear changes to the plot and circumstances.
While there are clearly things you can't access early on, it feels pretty linear so far. Several other were too, but I think this one feels like you should be able to explore more than you can.
I'm playing at 4K, but set the internal render at 60% so that it looks native/clean but it never drops below 60fps. I learned that trick with Street Fighter 5.
Well...
You find sticky notes on the fridge after meeting the family for the first time about them. I assume based on the true ending that we're eating the two who didn't make it out.

Based upon what others are getting, it sounds like I might be able to bump my visual settings up a bit. As long as I have a constant 60fps (with vsync of course), I'm happy. I might have to do that later.

So far, my only gripe is that pressing the right stick crouches. I apparently press it in a lot without realizing it because in literally every firefight I ended up crouching accidentally over and over.

Sweet jesus TAA in this game is blurry as fuck, even at 2560x1440

The only way I see to get a genuinely clean picture is resolution scale.

Game runs and looks great on my system. 2560x1440 with all options at their highest including HBAO+ and I was getting 140-200 FPS. I tried bumping the res up to 5K but FPS tanked to 40. Settled on 2560x1440 with 1.5 resolution scaling and getting 70-80 FPS. Only thing that really bothered me were the puddles in the beginning that had hard edges and low res reflections. I'm guessing they're expecting you to turn the in-game brightness down all the way to hide those kinds of things. But I thought the facial animations were much better than CGI Tarkin :p.

Well...
You find sticky notes on the fridge after meeting the family for the first time about them. I assume based on the true ending that we're eating the two who didn't make it out.

I agree. The PC port so far is excellent. Have had no issues and the graphics are incredible while being able to completely max it out at 1440p, but the biggest nod I have to give is the sound design. With a good pair of headphones, I actually feel like I am there. The sound design is just phenomenal and really adds to the tension even if it's just footsteps and/or the wind/rain outside. So far I am absolutely in love with the game and as a life-long RE fanboy I think this is a return to proper form for Capcom and the series.

Playing this just makes me even more excited about the official Resident Evil 2 remake that Capcom is currently developing. I have been thinking that I want the classic controls back like they did when they remade RE, but if they did RE 2 in first person after playing this I think it would be great too. The first-person perspective really adds a level of tension to the series i've never felt before.

This game is absolutely sick. The chainsaw encounter is INTENSE!!!
I sprinted into another room and closed the door behind me, gun drawn, waiting for the attacker to come bursting through the door, and to my surprise, they proceeded to chainsaw through the wall BEHIND ME.

Damn now I'm intrested they had a Chainsaw guy in The Evil WIthin also you need him to break some chain gate early in the game.

This game is absolutely sick. The chainsaw encounter is INTENSE!!!
I sprinted into another room and closed the door behind me, gun drawn, waiting for the attacker to come bursting through the door, and to my surprise, they proceeded to chainsaw through the wall BEHIND ME.
I did the same exact thing :eek:.

Game sounds good...From the videos I got the impression it was some sort of "hide from enemies" Amnesia BS, but apparently it's a lot more like the first few games. Might pick it up from CDKeys...not sure yet (I think it's around $38 right now).

I just played the demo...doesn't really give me a traditional RE vibe at all. I guess the full game is different?

Ive got so many RE games in my backlog that I am yet to even install. Should probably try them some time.

I have heard nothing of it "being a mess." Where and what were they referring to?

My original settings were the ones I used in the demo. I bumped them up quite a bit last night (4K, everything maxed, render set to .7) and I'm pulling a steady 60fps at all times.
Capcom makes me proud with this one.

My original settings were the ones I used in the demo. I bumped them up quite a bit last night (4K, everything maxed, render set to .7) and I'm pulling a steady 60fps at all times.
Capcom makes me proud with this one.
RE Engine looks pretty good and seems to scale well. Some of the character models (especially faces) tend to walk in the uncanny valley a bit more than the other recent engines (like, Fox Engine, let's say) however it's difficult to tell if it's just poor modeling. Ethan's hands though- in some lighting conditions it looks veiny and the tendons on the back of the hand are too well defined, and yes at this point I'm walking up against doors to open them, or holding guard.

Back to more technical stuff: the demo ran well but I noticed tearing and odd texture issues (I'm pretty certain no or little texture filtering) with some fast motion sequences, but so far so good on the released game.

Back