Resident Evil 2 being officially remade!

Finished ClaireA/LeonB on normal. Shaved two hours off my initial ~6:30 time with Claire. Some thoughts:

1: Ammo isn't scarce per se, but it can disappear in a hurry if you aren't careful. You REALLY don't want to use anything beyond handgun ammo on Zombies/Dogs if you can avoid it. That being said, despite some really poor ammo management (especially in LeonB), I always had more then enough ammo for bosses. Capcom designed the ammo distribution very well, making sure you always have *just enough* to get the job done but not enough to go out of your way to shoot things. I expect on hardcore you'd have to dodge a LOT more zombies, or at least cripple their movement by shooting at the knees.

2: At least on normal difficulty things aren't overly difficult, though I did die a few times trying to force my way past either Tyrant or those G-Mutants in the sewers.

3: Herb distribution is weird; there's an over-distribution of blue herbs considering the lack of things that can poison you. The Blue+Red herb combo gives some damage mitigation and should be used pretty much every major fight; I had quite a few of those left over at game end.

4: I like that items you've seen in a room but don't pick up show on the map. I also like that you can combine items without having to first pick the item up in your inventory, which makes inventory management (especially herbs) a lot easier.

5: I understand why Capcom went this route, but did Leon *REALLY* need two different handguns? Especially given the scarcity of 9mm ammo in Leon's route; the Matilda really only had ammo at the very end of the scenario when I used my remaining unused gunpowders.

6: No obvious performance issues (8600k/1080Ti) with pretty much everything maxed at 4k. Didn't look at fps, but can't think of a single time where I noticed any performance dips. Only graphical oddity I observed is that it seemed low-res textures would be in-use whenever a character looked at an object zoomed it, before the high-res one would pop in.

7: One minor storyline gripe: At least in ClaireA/LeonB there are events that outright contradict eachother, and it was OBVIOUS. The original also had plot holes, but not nearly to this extent. It felt like lazy writing to be honest.

8: Also, the Tyrants hat is the best part of this game, bar none.

EDIT

9: >6:30, 43 saves, B ranking? How bad do you have to be to get worse then that? Second run was ~4:30, 20 saves, also a B. Rankings seem off to me.

10: I loved they played up "Lickers are blind" in this one, especially given how much more dangerous they are this time. Sure, walking around one is fine, until some Zombies burst through a window or...well, you'll see. :D

9.5/10. Some minor gripes, but displaces REmake as the best Resident Evil to date.

I just finished my first run on Clair A last night (on Normal) and can agree with pretty much all of this and I had about the same time/saves at the end of my first game, but got a C ranking somehow.

I watched pretty much all the reviews for this game before playing and a couple of them mentioned how you meet your counterpart (Leon/Clair) more throughout the game than in the original. Except I only saw Leon once in my entire game if you don't count the very beginning and end. Did I miss something?

One of the minor annoyances I had playing as Clair too was that although you could make Acid rounds with gun powder, you can't make flame rounds, which seemed to be a bit more useful esp. against some of the enemies in the lab area. But fortunately, as Gamerk2 points as well, the game is somewhat generous at giving you ammo so I was never too short on flame rounds, but I'd say it would be much more useful to make them on the harder difficulties.

Anyone got any generally useful tips for taking out zombies and conserving ammo? I generally aimed for the head, as it seemed to me that it still took 3-5 rounds in the leg just to disable them when I tried that, so you might as well try to pop their head for a kill, but the amount of rounds it takes varies wildly for head shots. Sometimes I could kill them in 1-2 shots, others would take like 8-9 shots to the head after coming back up for more a couple times. I try to knife them when they're down to make sure they're dead, but usually that wasn't an option because I had another enemy or two to handle first before I could check them. For Lickers, if I couldn't sneak around them, I hit them with a flame round once (2 in one shot if I could) then it would only take 2-3 pistol shots to kill them. The sewer mutants only took one flame/acid round and a couple shots to the eye as well. I used the Spark Shot or flame rounds for the plant zombies, but they seemed to respawn/recover half the time after I came back through later.

How Mr. X died in the middle of Clair's game (assuming it's probably the same for Leon) was pretty surprising and awesome.

There's something horribly wrong with the black levels in this game. It's as if it's running in limited range (16-235) rather than full range (0-255). Areas that should be completely dark look washed out because blacks appear as a dark gray. It's very noticeable on an OLED.
Looks fine on my PG27UQ with HDR. I always enable HDR in the Windows Display settings before playing an HDR game, so maybe that makes a difference?

I just finished my first run on Clair A last night (on Normal) and can agree with pretty much all of this and I had about the same time/saves at the end of my first game, but got a C ranking somehow.

I watched pretty much all the reviews for this game before playing and a couple of them mentioned how you meet your counterpart (Leon/Clair) more throughout the game than in the original. Except I only saw Leon once in my entire game if you don't count the very beginning and end. Did I miss something?

One of the minor annoyances I had playing as Clair too was that although you could make Acid rounds with gun powder, you can't make flame rounds, which seemed to be a bit more useful esp. against some of the enemies in the lab area. But fortunately, as Gamerk2 points as well, the game is somewhat generous at giving you ammo so I was never too short on flame rounds, but I'd say it would be much more useful to make them on the harder difficulties.

Anyone got any generally useful tips for taking out zombies and conserving ammo? I generally aimed for the head, as it seemed to me that it still took 3-5 rounds in the leg just to disable them when I tried that, so you might as well try to pop their head for a kill, but the amount of rounds it takes varies wildly for head shots. Sometimes I could kill them in 1-2 shots, others would take like 8-9 shots to the head after coming back up for more a couple times. I try to knife them when they're down to make sure they're dead, but usually that wasn't an option because I had another enemy or two to handle first before I could check them. For Lickers, if I couldn't sneak around them, I hit them with a flame round once (2 in one shot if I could) then it would only take 2-3 pistol shots to kill them. The sewer mutants only took one flame/acid round and a couple shots to the eye as well. I used the Spark Shot or flame rounds for the plant zombies, but they seemed to respawn/recover half the time after I came back through later.

How Mr. X died in the middle of Clair's game (assuming it's probably the same for Leon) was pretty surprising and awesome.

To be fair, Flame Rounds were always Claire's answer to the Magnum; you shouldn't be using them that much unless absolutely necessary. It does suck it takes two to take out those plant zombies though; that really encourages you to avoid them if at all possible. Leon comes out WAY ahead here due to the flamethrower, which is also a much stronger anti-zombie weapon (in terms of ammo use and the Flamethrower not being a good boss weapon).

As for Zombies, Leon's second handgun (the .45 ACP one) does seem to have a much higher chance of killing a zombie in a few shots, but no matter what they eat ammo, Either avoid them, or if it's just one or two in a wide area you can kneecap them/dismember them with the knife and avoid them from then on. For any more then 3-4 zombies, group them up and use Grenades.

He shows up again both stalking Leon and as the final boss of Leon's route, highlighting my point about story consistency (or lack thereof). When he died in Claire's route I wondered how that would affect Leon's story given his nemesis (chuckle) in the original was Mr. X. Turned out, Capcom just pretends that bit never happened (or he somehow got better).

Looks fine on my PG27UQ with HDR. I always enable HDR in the Windows Display settings before playing an HDR game, so maybe that makes a difference?

No issues on my X27 either.

I think people maybe be having issues if they are running their displays in 10bit color. Personally I'm using 8bit because I remember banding issues in RE7 with 10bit. Haven't tested 10bit with RE2 though so I could be completely wrong.

No issues on my X27 either.

I think people maybe be having issues if they are running their displays in 10bit color. Personally I'm using 8bit because I remember banding issues in RE7 with 10bit. Haven't tested 10bit with RE2 though so I could be completely wrong.
Could be a TV issue. Megalith mentioned he's using an LG OLED. I'm pretty sure that HDR is limited to 4:2:2 chroma subsampling with HDMI 2.0, so he should try setting the color space to RGB limited in the NVIDIA control panel and see if that makes a difference.

I run my PG27UQ at 98 Hz for full RGB with HDR10.

Could be a TV issue. Megalith mentioned he's using an LG OLED. I'm pretty sure that HDR is limited to 4:2:2 chroma subsampling with HDMI 2.0, so he should try setting the color space to RGB limited in the NVIDIA control panel and see if that makes a difference.

I run my PG27UQ at 98 Hz for full RGB with HDR10.

im running a js9000 with 4:2:2 10 bit for HDR. to the best of my knowledge, sRGB 8 bit doesnt actually support HDR

im running a js9000 with 4:2:2 10 bit for HDR. to the best of my knowledge, sRGB 8 bit doesnt actually support HDR
Both the X27 and PG27UQ use the 10-bit DCI-P3 color space in HDR mode and operates with no subsampling "full RGB" at 98 Hz. It drops down to 4:2:2 subsampling at 120 and 144 Hz.

Digital Foundry claims it's by design (3:47), but I KNOW something is wrong because even the Capcom/Simplygon/RE Engine intro logos have incorrect black levels. The auto-save warning screen (which comes up right after) looks normal, though.

Capcom says to make your voices heard if you want to see a similar remake of RE3.
https://www.dualshockers.com/resident-evil-3-remake-potential-capcom-fans/

Digital Foundry claims it's by design (3:47), but I KNOW something is wrong because even the Capcom/Simplygon/RE Engine intro logos have incorrect black levels. The auto-save warning screen (which comes up right after) looks normal, though.

Weird. Can't say the game looks like that for me, including his comment of the animations running at 30 FPS.

Capcom says to make your voices heard if you want to see a similar remake of RE3.
https://www.dualshockers.com/resident-evil-3-remake-potential-capcom-fans/

Weird. Can't say the game looks like that for me, including his comment of the animations running at 30 FPS.

It seemed less noticeable on PC for me (I played the demo on PS4 Pro and have the game on PC), like it was set at a further distance, but the halved frame rate for enemies at a distance is definitely there still. The first place I saw it on PS4 was where they show it there in the video of that zombie pounding on that vending machine, so I was looking for it on PC and don't think I saw it there. If you really want to see it though, go to the 3rd floor in the main hall of the police station and watch the zombies from the other side of the hall. Or if Mr. X is on the opposite side of the hall from you and walking, it's definitely noticeable there. I didn't notice the frame rate dropping during physical contact of enemies like they show there though.

Not a big deal at all IMO, but I'm sure it can be fixed either officially or unofficially regardless. Regardless, I was amazed at how smooth this game ran on my 1060 and my son's 570 and I'm glad DF made that video to tell us to run on DX11 still for the 20%ish performance boost, as I was initially just maxing everything out on DX12 and it didn't play nearly as smooth on there. Is that a common thing on PC games still where DX11 runs better than DX12 with no noticeable IQ improvement? I haven't been playing on PC much the past couple years, hence the lowly 1060 that I've felt no need to upgrade yet.

I don't really like it either mainly because it has to many video intros to everything or whatever you want to call it. I just want to play!

It seemed less noticeable on PC for me (I played the demo on PS4 Pro and have the game on PC), like it was set at a further distance, but the halved frame rate for enemies at a distance is definitely there still. The first place I saw it on PS4 was where they show it there in the video of that zombie pounding on that vending machine, so I was looking for it on PC and don't think I saw it there. If you really want to see it though, go to the 3rd floor in the main hall of the police station and watch the zombies from the other side of the hall. Or if Mr. X is on the opposite side of the hall from you and walking, it's definitely noticeable there. I didn't notice the frame rate dropping during physical contact of enemies like they show there though.

Not a big deal at all IMO, but I'm sure it can be fixed either officially or unofficially regardless. Regardless, I was amazed at how smooth this game ran on my 1060 and my son's 570 and I'm glad DF made that video to tell us to run on DX11 still for the 20%ish performance boost, as I was initially just maxing everything out on DX12 and it didn't play nearly as smooth on there. Is that a common thing on PC games still where DX11 runs better than DX12 with no noticeable IQ improvement? I haven't been playing on PC much the past couple years, hence the lowly 1060 that I've felt no need to upgrade yet.
The reflections look better to me in DX12, but I don't think that is a reason to use it over DX11 if you're on a midrange card. On my system the game runs over 70 FPS at 4K with DX12, putting it in the sweet spot for G-SYNC at 98 Hz.

Why has Dx12 implementation been so bad lately?? This game and BFV get a huge performance penalty with massive vram requirements when going to dx12.

The newest Hitman didnt even bother with dx12.

Overall, this game runs great:

OC3d.net has a review as well. If anyone has an account over there, PLEASE educate those guys on what a significant figure is. On the same graph, sometimes they round to the nearest fps, nearest 1/10 fps and even 1/100 fps!!

They seem like decent guys, but that shit drives me crazy.

“My first resident evil was resident evil 4”

I stopped right there.

Yeah, I got through only part of that video but it seemed very apparent the guy had never played the original RE titles.

So far love the game.. I haven't played any of these but RE7 but whatever.. Really enjoying this so far. One thing is that at 4096x2160 the brightness is perfect but at 3840x2160 which is native for my display the screen looks all washed out... I have messed with the brightness but nothing looks as good as 4096x2160. My 1080ti is keeping up but at it's limit I can tell... I was trying to get 3840x2160 to look as nice as the higher res.. I have HDR off and I have tried flipping color space from sRGB to rec 709... isn't as nice as the blacks from 4096x2160..

edit: full res full screen flips HDR on automatically.. so that is what's going on.. my display is not an HDR capable display but the blacks look better with it on..

update: So I messed with the brightness settings at 3840x2160 res and got things fairly dialed but there is something weird going on with the brightness in this game as others reported. I also finally dropped to 1440p for better performance and it looks just about the same..at 4K it got a little more choppy than I would like in spots. At 1440p I can barely tell the difference in IQ and it's smooth as butter with the IQ fully maxed out (set quality to 120%). I might update my video driver tonight and try 4k again.. I have not updated that in a long while.

Last edited:
Why has Dx12 implementation been so bad lately?? This game and BFV get a huge performance penalty with massive vram requirements when going to dx12.

Because it's a low level API, with all the headaches that involves.

Low level APIs only really ever work when you use them against exactly ONE hardware configuration. The more possible configurations, the more likely that some of your assumptions that you make in coding is sub-optimal for a given configuration. And given that PCs have essentially unlimited possible configurations, it's no surprise DX12 is running into problems. The entire point of using higher level APIs is to ensure these types of performance problems don't occur.

I said from the beginning that developers would quickly regret getting what they wanted. Low level APIs are a PITA to work with, and in my experience working as a professional Software Engineer, high level APIs are developed enough where they are often better at maximizing performance then the developer is.

Because it's a low level API, with all the headaches that involves.

Low level APIs only really ever work when you use them against exactly ONE hardware configuration. The more possible configurations, the more likely that some of your assumptions that you make in coding is sub-optimal for a given configuration. And given that PCs have essentially unlimited possible configurations, it's no surprise DX12 is running into problems. The entire point of using higher level APIs is to ensure these types of performance problems don't occur.

I said from the beginning that developers would quickly regret getting what they wanted. Low level APIs are a PITA to work with, and in my experience working as a professional Software Engineer, high level APIs are developed enough where they are often better at maximizing performance then the developer is.

Don’t have much experience as a professional software engineer (I do have limited experience) but for an API, wouldn’t you be more limited by the compiler than anything? I know if you get assembly low level then you have to code for specific hardware/architectures but is it the same for something like DX12?

It’s interesting to me that a game like Shadow of the Tomb Raider actually nets gains on DX12 over DX11 on any hardware.

I’m more curious if devs are focusing on DX11 and half-assing the DX12 render path than if they simply started on a DX12 render path from the get go and implemented DX11 backwards.

I'd rather see how this would run in Vulkan.

The detail in the models looks good. May give this this a try with my Vega 64 @4K.

I was able to fix the wonky dark levels by running my setup in 10-bit RGB mode vs 8-bit. Shouldn't have had to do this, but this is what fixed it for me.

Don’t have much experience as a professional software engineer (I do have limited experience) but for an API, wouldn’t you be more limited by the compiler than anything? I know if you get assembly low level then you have to code for specific hardware/architectures but is it the same for something like DX12?

It’s interesting to me that a game like Shadow of the Tomb Raider actually nets gains on DX12 over DX11 on any hardware.

I’m more curious if devs are focusing on DX11 and half-assing the DX12 render path than if they simply started on a DX12 render path from the get go and implemented DX11 backwards.

The problem with DX12 in a nutshell is it gives the developer a LOT more control over the rendering path. In an ideal case, you can significantly cut down on render times by ensuring the GPU is always doing work. In a non-ideal case, you can easily over or underburden the GPU due to sub-optimal scheduling. Sure, having multiple rendering threads able to talk to the GPU sounds nice, until one of those threads gets re-scheduled by the CPU and everything stalls out. Those are the types of problems DX12 brings to the table.

Yes, control of the DX11 rendering path was simplistic and does leave a good chunk of performance on the table, but it's also predictable as hell. DX12 offers a lot more performance, but maximizing that performance across near infinite amounts of possible configurations is damn near impossible.

This game is quite fun but it takes some getting used to... I am running all over trying to find all the goodies. I upped my video driver and 4k played a bit better but it gets choppy in some spot still to back to 1440p. Still looks great and so smooth.

Overall, this game runs great:

DX12 was faster in the previous Hitman too. I don't know why removed it.

Can anyone confirm whether one head shot kills are the game? In the demo it was not possible and it really bothered me

Can anyone confirm whether one head shot kills are the game? In the demo it was not possible and it really bothered me

I've had a few one shot headshot kills using the pistol. It's been kind of random though.

Yes, but you can't count on it happening.

I've 1 domed zombies and had others take like 10.

I didnt play the original re2. This type of game takes me a while to get used to. Anyway, I'm at the point where I'm just running the Mr. X and its so annoying. I feel like the game jumped the shark. It was so immersive, now not so much.

The handgun isn't really meant for straight up killing. Shoot their leg off then knife them, immobilize a couple zombies this way then chuck a grenade at them, etc.
Alternatively just pop them in the head twice or thrice to stun them and run through. Keep some handgun ammo for dogs too.

I didnt play the original re2. This type of game takes me a while to get used to. Anyway, I'm at the point where I'm just running the Mr. X and its so annoying. I feel like the game jumped the shark. It was so immersive, now not so much.

I can see that, I don't know if I'm the biggest fan of him riding my nuts either to be honest.

He's not that hard to avoid though. I like running him in circles around shit like benches and chairs or playing peek-a-boo on the stairs.

...until I slip up and wind up picking my Chiclets up off the floor, that is.

I can see that, I don't know if I'm the biggest fan of him riding my nuts either to be honest.

He's not that hard to avoid though. I like running him in circles around shit like benches and chairs or playing peek-a-boo on the stairs.

...until I slip up and wind up picking my Chiclets up off the floor, that is.

m2.gif

Lol it sucks you can't head shot anymore jeezum that was awesome in the older res!
Btw are there any good prices on this game yet?

Back