Resident Evil 2 being officially remade!

This game was a huge part of my childhood, and a huge reason that I kept going with this hobby (video games). I was so excited to see this trailer yesterday at E3. This is by far one of the best E3's announcements/content wise that I can remember at least.

I was kind of salty about the change to over the should third person due to my nostalgia glasses, but this looks amazing. They remade the game from the ground up in what looks to be the best way possible. I still have my original PlayStation copy to play on my PC if I ever want to go back and play the original, anyway.

I was kind of salty about the change to over the should third person due to my nostalgia glasses, but this looks amazing. They remade the game from the ground up in what looks to be the best way possible. I still have my original PlayStation copy to play on my PC if I ever want to go back and play the original, anyway.

I feel you. From what I've seen it looks to be a proper remake of the original but with the element of RE4 TPP. I'm not mad about it. RE4 had great gameplay. This remake should be a treat. Here's to hoping the PC port will be on par.

I feel you. From what I've seen it looks to be a proper remake of the original but with the element of RE4 TPP. I'm not mad about it. RE4 had great gameplay. This remake should be a treat. Here's to hoping the PC port will be on par.
All of the PC ports aside from RE4 have been great, so I'm not worried.

This was finally revealed at Sony's E3 press conference 3 years after being announced, along with a release date! The RE2MAKE will be releasing January 25, 2019 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC.

As many speculated, they are going with the third-person perspective pioneered by RE4. But there was also murmurs of there being a "classic" camera mode? I'm assuming this will be the fixed camera angles all mainline RE games had prior to RE4.

Fuck if there is no Windows port, but if that is the case that tears it, buying a PS4 this christmas lol

third person works fairly decent for a horror game now, since your character essentially walks beyond the corner that you cant physically see, so it adds to the suspense of not knowing whats ahead lol

Resident Evil 2 is one of the few games I've replayed many, MANY times!

Personally, I like the old "tank-style" controls....

It really kept you on your toes.

Resident Evil 2 is one of the few games I've replayed many, MANY times!

Personally, I like the old "tank-style" controls....

It really kept you on your toes.

Looks like this game still has them, just attached to a dynamic camera.

The "Zapping" system from the original game, whereby the "A" campaign affected the "B" campaign, is not present in the remake. Leon and Claire will both have their own full, separate campaigns where they run into each other throughout the story. Producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi said the old campaign system was "tedious for players." Personally, I liked playing it through each combination and was probably why I played it so much.

https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-2-leon-claire-campaign/

I wish this was coming for Halloween time lol btw there is a developer working on an old school tank style re game but in a brand new universe called vigil. So we will hopefully get the best of both worlds at least on pc next year!

I enjoyed Code: Veronica immensely and I hope it will get the same treatment eventually.

Code: Veronica was a very solid game by itself, but I felt it was missing that *something*, especially after you spent the entirety of RE3 dealing with Nemesis. CV felt like a step backward honestly.

20 Minutes of gameplay footage. Looks terrifying! lol.

Ugh....I skipped to around 2 minutes in and watched until about 8 or so...I hate that games these days have such hand holding.

Earlier in the video the player inspected the statue in the main hall with the three rotating disc thingies that obviously unlock something. Later the player obtains a notebook that has drawings of statues and some pictorial combinations for what are clearly combinations to the earlier mentioned rotating disc thingies. The game then tells the player to "Head to the main hall".

Jesus, we get it! And for those that don't, let them wander around!

I don't remember if that's how the original game worked but these explicitly labeled objectives ruin games like this for me. It's why I hated Metroid Prime with such a passion.

Last edited:
The "Zapping" system from the original game, whereby the "A" campaign affected the "B" campaign, is not present in the remake. Leon and Claire will both have their own full, separate campaigns where they run into each other throughout the story. Producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi said the old campaign system was "tedious for players." Personally, I liked playing it through each combination and was probably why I played it so much.

https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-2-leon-claire-campaign/

Whaaaaa....

That. sucks.

Ugh....I skipped to around 2 minutes in and watched until about 8 or so...I hate that games these days have such hand holding.

Earlier in the video the player inspected the statue in the main hall with the three rotating disc thingies that obviously unlock something. Later the player obtains a notebook that has drawings of statues and some pictorial combinations for what are clearly combinations to the earlier mentioned rotating disc thingies. The game then tells the player to "Head to the main hall".

I don't remember if that's how the original game worked but these explicitly labeled objectives ruin games like this for me. It's why I hated Metroid Prime with such a passion.

Yeah that sucks. Back in the day you either wondered around forever, bought the strategy guide or used the old calculator between the ears. I agree though, too much hand holding.

Whaaaaa....

That. sucks.

To be fair, only a handful of things were actually affected between campaigns, none of them major. The key ones:

*) Which location (if either) the cord is used to lower the shutters.

Ironically, NOT using the cord makes the B campaign easier, since both hallways will be devoid of zombies if the cord isn't used in either location.

*) Which of the Side Pack/Machine Gun are taken from the Weapon Room in the basement.

*) Whether you kill the crocodile, or just chase it off

I'm sorry, did anyone NOT blow that guy up? People really used ammo on that thing?

*) Using the fingerprint scanner outside the Experiment Room in the East Wing of the Umbrella Lab

Seriously, nothing major. I'd rather have two focused campaigns rather then having to do mostly the same stuff twice over.

Metroid Prime wasn't like that at all. If you took too much time progressing to a key area then it would give you a hint by the computer picking up the signs of an event or doing latent scanning. I think it took me 11-12 hours the first time through the first game because I was constantly getting lost. Prime 2 was much more linear, but complicated things with the light and dark worlds. I honestly don't remember what the hint system was like in the second game. But the keyword is that it was a "hint" system. Here, it is an "objective" system where the game is telling you where you have to go after completing each objective, and I agree that I don't like when games do this.

Metroid Prime wasn't like that at all. If you took too much time progressing to a key area then it would give you a hint by the computer picking up the signs of an event or doing latent scanning. I think it took me 11-12 hours the first time through the first game because I was constantly getting lost. Prime 2 was much more linear, but complicated things with the light and dark worlds. I honestly don't remember what the hint system was like in the second game. But the keyword is that it was a "hint" system. Here, it is an "objective" system where the game is telling you where you have to go after completing each objective, and I agree that I don't like when games do this.

It's been something like 16 years since I played the first Metroid Prime and my recollection of it was that it hinted you almost immediately. I'd beat a boss and almost right after the computer would tell me I had to walk 1 hour back to where I was before. Maybe I was getting lost and taking too long. Either way I still hugely hated that game. As a high schooler that could barely afford my own games at the time, I really had to chore through the game just so I wouldn't feel cheated out of $50. I got little to no enjoyment from it and felt like I had to get through it. Still boggles my mind that this opinion is a non-existent minority and people instead have nothing but glowing opinions of Metroid Prime. And yes, I did grow up playing through the series, that's why I thought it was a huge let down because to me it failed to carry the Metroid name.

That got a bit ranty...

Back on topic: Hopefully the objective notifications in this Resident Evil remake can be toggled on or off.

Last edited:
Back on topic: Hopefully the objective notifications in this Resident Evil remake can be toggled on or off.

This.

(as long as they didn't change any of the main "puzzles" I can still speedrun this mofo blindfolded ;) )

Capcom plans to explore more remakes following Resident Evil 2
https://www.pcgamer.com/capcom-plans-to-explore-more-remakes-following-resident-evil-2/

Capcom's most recent financial report has a lot of confidence in their survival horror catalog, as well. I wonder if that means we'll get a RE3 remake. I would also love to see a Dino Crisis or Onimusha remake with the same level of attention. It would be a dream if Konami let go of the Silent Hill franchise for someone like Capcom to pick up.

Capcom plans to explore more remakes following Resident Evil 2
https://www.pcgamer.com/capcom-plans-to-explore-more-remakes-following-resident-evil-2/

Capcom's most recent financial report has a lot of confidence in their survival horror catalog, as well. I wonder if that means we'll get a RE3 remake. I would also love to see a Dino Crisis or Onimusha remake with the same level of attention. It would be a dream if Konami let go of the Silent Hill franchise for someone like Capcom to pick up.

Dino Crisis 2 remake with same (apparent) care/love as RE2 remake pls.

I hated the direction Dino Crisis 2 went; I preferred the first one, which was basically "Resident Evil with Dinosaurs!".

That's why I didn't like Dino Crisis 1. It seemed lazily like Resident Evil but just cut and paste in dinosaurs instead of zombies. Dino Crisis 2 was a 3rd person action arcade-y shooter with dinosaurs. It was - refreshingly - a different beast entirely (no pun intended).

That's why I didn't like Dino Crisis 1. It seemed lazily like Resident Evil but just cut and paste in dinosaurs instead of zombies. Dino Crisis 2 was a 3rd person action arcade-y shooter with dinosaurs. It was - refreshingly - a different beast entirely (no pun intended).

The problem with that was the PS1 had plenty of titles that did the same concept better. It was *meh* at best.

Dino Crisis actually made a ton of strides, such as full 3d environments or Raptors that would follow you out of certain rooms (something reused in REmake). Unfortunately, the game suffered from some serious design issues, not the least of which was the door password system and general lack of enemies.

Claire gameplay from Gamescom. We get our first glimpse of William Birkin. His mutation looks truly frightening this time around.

I don't know if I can handle RE3 again, I must have played it on Dreamcast because A) I remember cheating since I had a GameShark and B) I don't remember buying the game. Nemesis popping through the walls, that's too much action for me. People seem to really like RE3, so I probably just need to play it again without cheating so I can actually enjoy it.

This RE2 remake is looking awesome. I skip around the new videos because I don't want to spoil anything, but I last played through the game 20 years ago so I don't yet remember what is new and what is original.

Can't wait to play re2 remake. It was the best zombie game ever for me. It was so long ago that I played it is going to be like a brand new game!

The change to over-the-shoulder I think is a great one. Let's face it, the old style of static camera sucked for anything even remotely like combat. After playing RE4/5, I wouldn't want to go back.

Jan 25th????

tenor.gif

Back