Resident Evil 2 being officially remade!

Is it going to be like the remake of the original game, where they used 2-D backgrounds?

Nice! Now we just have to wait at least another two years for its release...

Is it going to be like the remake of the original game, where they used 2-D backgrounds?

No. It will be a FULL remake from the ground up. RE HD remake was a lot easier to remake b/c it was already remade once for Gamecube.

No. It will be a FULL remake from the ground up. RE HD remake was a lot easier to remake b/c it was already remade once for Gamecube.

No, he means when they originally remade 1 for the Gamecube, they kept pre-rendered backgrounds approach and style of the original games (cause they hadn't switched the series to over the shoulder yet). He wanted to know if they would do the same for this, or make it an over the shoulder game like 4-6. Which, we just don't know yet.

No, he means when they originally remade 1 for the Gamecube, they kept pre-rendered backgrounds approach and style of the original games (cause they hadn't switched the series to over the shoulder yet). He wanted to know if they would do the same for this, or make it an over the shoulder game like 4-6. Which, we just don't know yet.
That's how I interpreted his post. Like him, I don't want it turned into the third-person action game the series turned into with RE4. Keep it the same style of gameplay, just updated for current consoles and PCs.

That's how I interpreted his post. Like him, I don't want it turned into the third-person action game the series turned into with RE4. Keep it the same style of gameplay, just updated for current consoles and PCs.

I'm a bit torn. On the one hand, I feel they should play it safe and make it like 1 remake, also with some new subplots and expansions on the original story/game play like they did with RE:Remake. Would be a great game.

On the other hand - after playing Revelations 1 - it proved it is possible (to me at least) to make a GOOD over-the-shoulder Resident Evil game.

So I mean, if they wen't that route, it has the potential to be good IMO as well. They just don't have good track records with the over-the-shoulder RE games. 4 and 5 were fun games (providing you play 5 with a buddy), they just weren't good Resident Evil games. 6, we all know how that went. Revelations 2 was alright as well, it just wasn't anywhere as good as the first, but wasn't really bad IMO. It would get an above 'just-passable' grade in my book. It's biggest downfall over the first IMO is the controls were no where near as tight/felt a bit clumsy/awkward (compared to the first, but were manageable and didn't hinder you from playing the game in any way). Because of this, I also didn't enjoy its Raid Mode at all really.

Last edited:
Wait, so this isn't that fan project from last week?
They are going to make it from scratch? Was that other project C&D? I'm confused.

Wait, so this isn't that fan project from last week?
They are going to make it from scratch? Was that other project C&D? I'm confused.

This is from Capcom themselves, not the fan remake. They will keep the story, modify it and the game play slightly (Or largely on that last part. We still don't know if it will be 'traditional' RE game play, or the over-the-shoulder style), and remake the entire game from scratch. Just like they did with the Resident Evil 1 Remake on the Gamecube.

As for if the fan remake will get a C&D now, who knows.

Count me in. This will be interesting, though. With the current RE0 and REmake updates, they already had assets to work with or work off of that made the transition easy, the RE2 update will be completely new as far as the assets go. I'd be surprised if they went to the lengths they went to for REmake (re-recording dialogue) but it would be nice if they updated the sound effects and music in the same manner that they did with REmake.

Regardless, I'll buy it since I'd like to play RE2 again.

Count me in. This will be interesting, though. With the current RE0 and REmake updates, they already had assets to work with or work off of that made the transition easy, the RE2 update will be completely new as far as the assets go. I'd be surprised if they went to the lengths they went to for REmake (re-recording dialogue) but it would be nice if they updated the sound effects and music in the same manner that they did with REmake.

Regardless, I'll buy it since I'd like to play RE2 again.

They can't reuse any of the sound assets. Too low quality nowadays and honestly a bit basic, stiff and cringe worthy (in terms of dialogue) for any modern game. It will all be re-recorded. Plus it would need to be seeing as they might expand upon original plots or add entire subplots into the game like they did with RE1 Remake.

*Drools profoundedly*

How many Titan X's do I need to run this game on 640x480?

Reactions: atom
like this
Unless Hideki Kamiya directs the remake, it will be horrible in comparison with the original.

They can't reuse any of the sound assets. Too low quality nowadays and honestly a bit basic, stiff and cringe worthy (in terms of dialogue) for any modern game. It will all be re-recorded. Plus it would need to be seeing as they might expand upon original plots or add entire subplots into the game like they did with RE1 Remake.

Has anyone thought how cool it would be if they remade this like they did the Halo remake where you push a button, and you can go back to the classic game? I've been playing the Halo MCC and i've really been enjoying the hell out of that feature. I think it'd be cool as hell if you could go and switch between the new RE 2 and the classic RE 2 with the push of a button.

like this
I know we have seen the recent fan remake using the Unreal Engine, but I found this little gem on Youtube. Never seen this before either, but it looks like another RE 2 remake. It's actually pretty cool, it combines the static camera angles in some areas with the over-the-shoulder perspective on others. There seem to be quite a few parts to this video... I wonder how far he got in making this or if it ever got completed.

https://youtu.be/XUvOV68OqxE

Has anyone played The Darkside Chronicles? I just learned they essentially have a 1st person arcade-shooter copy of Resident Evil 2. Very cool.

https://youtu.be/3oaQC1pKyDA?t=48s

Last edited:
I know we have seen the recent fan remake using the Unreal Engine, but I found this little gem on Youtube. Never seen this before either, but it looks like another RE 2 remake. It's actually pretty cool, it combines the static camera angles in some areas with the over-the-shoulder perspective on others. There seem to be quite a few parts to this video... I wonder how far he got in making this or if it ever got completed.

https://youtu.be/XUvOV68OqxE

Has anyone played The Darkside Chronicles? I just learned they essentially have a 1st person arcade-shooter copy of Resident Evil 2. Very cool.

https://youtu.be/3oaQC1pKyDA?t=48s

This is about as far as I want to go with the cameras. I haven't truly enjoy a single resident evil since RE4 which was just ok.

This is about as far as I want to go with the cameras. I haven't truly enjoy a single resident evil since RE4 which was just ok.

I didn't enjoy 4 or 5 either as Resident Evil games (they were OK as games themselves); but as I mentioned on the last page, did you play Revelations 1?

*Drools profoundedly*

How many Titan X's do I need to run this game on 640x480?

Actually, it will be at the same resolution as the PlayStation original, 320x224, so... three of them. :p

That said, I think it would make the most sense to do it in an over-the-shoulder style, because I remember how much people were put off by the controls of the isometric fixed-camera style of games. RE4 got it 100% right in my opinion.

You don't have to agree with me, I respect those who want the fixed camera style like the original.

I hope they stay true to what the origianl game was, the same way they did with RE1 remaster. I personally prefers fixed camera as I feel the newer 3rd person shooter puts too much emphasis on, well, shooting. The newer titles feels like an action shooter rather than a survival horror.

I personally prefers fixed camera as I feel the newer 3rd person shooter puts too much emphasis on, well, shooting. .

That's very true. The fixed cameras imo built tension and contributed to the atmosphere. There has to be a way to do that with the new game. A mix between over-the-shoulder and classic RE controls can be found for sure.

like this
This was finally revealed at Sony's E3 press conference 3 years after being announced, along with a release date! The RE2MAKE will be releasing January 25, 2019 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC.

As many speculated, they are going with the third-person perspective pioneered by RE4. But there was also murmurs of there being a "classic" camera mode? I'm assuming this will be the fixed camera angles all mainline RE games had prior to RE4.

But there was also murmurs of there being a "classic" camera mode? I'm assuming this will be the fixed camera angles all mainline RE games had prior to RE4.

I am not sure about that. I was thinking more along the lines of gameplay modes like T"Arranged" mode and others... If they DID add the classic controls back i'd be very happy about that.

This looks amazing.
This is how remake should be, from pre-rendered background to full real time rendered world.

Can't wait to see the look of that William Birkin monster in this.

I'm 100% down. Preording the day it's live on Steam. It could cost $500 to preorder, and all that means is I'm paying $500.

This and cyber punk are prob the only 2 games that interest me from e3..was hoping nintendo showed us metroid but they showed nothing and the tease from last year was pointless...

The only ones left are Nemesis and Code: Veronica, yes?

None of the originals are on Steam. Re 1 - Code Veronica. I don't count the remakes as they don't "replace" the originals for me. I'm an archivist. I want them all and I want them preserved. I get enjoyment out of the original RE that I do not get with the REmake. Not that the REMake isn't the superior game, it's just also very different. Sometimes, you just want to experience the original.

Like, Star Wars.

I own the Dreamcast ports of RE 2 and 3. I also own Veronica HD on 360/PS3. I just want everything on one platform and with functional controller support. Do not care if they support Widescreen.

Last edited:
Back