Resident Evil 2 (2019)

I'm only playing through the main series games on the PC. I haven't touched the spin-offs even though at least a few of them are probably more legit than the main games.
So far I'd say RE4 is far and away my favorite, with 7 and the remake of 2 following behind. 5 was a straight up mess of a game, 1 is a product of a different time, and 0 is a less successful attempt a re-creating 1.
6 falls right in the middle, but I'd say it's night and day better than 5. Some of the plots feel repetitious (aka. everyone has an invincible nemesis that keeps showing up), but it's a fun thrill ride.

There are a lot of rumors going around about a new game that may or may not be RE8 coming next year. Per those reports, it will continue following Ethan and Chris from RE7, but will be set in the Carpathian region. Enemies are said to include lycanthropes and mythical monsters. All of those things sound up my alley, so I'm definitely okay with that. I know RE4 was set Spain, but I think it's pretty clear it was originally intended to be that area, too.

Out of curiosity, did you play the original RE1/DC, or REMake? Because I still love the Gamecube Remake of 1. I agree on most of the other points.

As for the spinoffs, they basically suck, though Gaiden on the GBC is interesting. Revelations was a hot mess, and I'm honestly not expecting much from Revelations 2. You can see the point where Capcom tried to go back to "classic" RE after 5, but botched the implementation (Revelations).

Out of curiosity, did you play the original RE1/DC, or REMake? Because I still love the Gamecube Remake of 1. I agree on most of the other points.

As for the spinoffs, they basically suck, though Gaiden on the GBC is interesting. Revelations was a hot mess, and I'm honestly not expecting much from Revelations 2. You can see the point where Capcom tried to go back to "classic" RE after 5, but botched the implementation (Revelations).

I played the remake of RE1 on the PC. It's a good game, but it's hard for me to overlook some of the innate flaws in the game. Aiming is mostly luck, you can't see enemies in front of you because of the camera, you can't save at will, etc. I do appreciate the more modern controls, though.

The only spin off games I've played are 0 (it came in the Steam bundle with RE1) and Mercenaries for the 3DS. In my case, I didn't like the old RE games. I watched my college roommate played through a lot of RE1, but I hated the controls so much that I refused to play it. I didn't get into the series until Xplay started gushing about how amazing RE4 was. It's still in my all time top 5 games and I bet I've cleared it at least 10 times on 4 different systems.

I played the remake of RE1 on the PC. It's a good game, but it's hard for me to overlook some of the innate flaws in the game. Aiming is mostly luck, you can't see enemies in front of you because of the camera, you can't save at will, etc. I do appreciate the more modern controls, though.

The only spin off games I've played are 0 (it came in the Steam bundle with RE1) and Mercenaries for the 3DS. In my case, I didn't like the old RE games. I watched my college roommate played through a lot of RE1, but I hated the controls so much that I refused to play it. I didn't get into the series until Xplay started gushing about how amazing RE4 was. It's still in my all time top 5 games and I bet I've cleared it at least 10 times on 4 different systems.
You should play the original v1.0 release of Resident Evil on PlayStation. It didn't have autoaim/snapaim so you pretty much had to rotate and guess.

You should play the original v1.0 release of Resident Evil on PlayStation. It didn't have autoaim/snapaim so you pretty much had to rotate and guess.

I did. And Director's Cut.

"Chris, it's me, Rebecca."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Is that you Rebecca?"

Fun times.

I never did figure out how aiming worked on the remake, but the thought of it being worse is cringe-worthy. I get the concept of fear and whatnot, but we're dealing with SWAT operatives. It's up there with movies that have to make overpowered superheroes idiots to compensate for their powers.

I never did figure out how aiming worked on the remake, but the thought of it being worse is cringe-worthy. I get the concept of fear and whatnot, but we're dealing with SWAT operatives. It's up there with movies that have to make overpowered superheroes idiots to compensate for their powers.
It's actually not, though. The pistol in the REmake works almost exactly like it did in the Director's Cut. In fact, now that I think about it, all the weapons pretty much behave similarly. Aside from aiming up with the shotgun all the weapons in every version of the original game have an RNG value that determines damage and point of impact.

And in reality SWAT operatives often miss their targets, kill innocent people, and land flash bangs in cribs maiming children. Missing most of your shots and hitting innocents is what happens with highly trained people under stress, non professionals are simply more of a danger to themselves and everything but the threat.

The aim isn't nearly shitty enough if you want to be real about that side of it.

Real SWAT operatives screw up here, but after seeing the same slow zombie walking down the hall (of course at a camera angle where you can't see 2 feet in front of you) that's pretty unlikely. Especially when in real life it's ambling around a foot at a time and a real person could see it 30 feet away. They literally have all day to line up a perfect shot while in zero danger most of the time. It's a hokey design mechanic.

Kind of old news at this point, but I finally started playing this last week or so. Really love the fact that the map dynamically updates with icons and notes of things you still have yet to find or need to return to. Really saves a lot of time on backtracking and running around.

Unspecified "visual enhancements" are coming to the game later this year.

https://nitter.actionsack.com/RE_Games/status/1499036815000543234
1646235509178.png

maybe AMD/Nvidia upsampling and ray tracing

they already plugged ray tracing into the engine for DMC5 on consoles - they didn't add it for PC version :(

Yeah I had the same experience with RE1. The camera (which is one of the things that can bother me most in games) is so awful. You're in a small room and it still can't be bothered to show you the whole room. There's a zombie in here? Oh let me just blindly shoot. I have watched some playthroughs and lots of times people just run by the zombies.

Resident Evil Revelations 1 is a very good RE game for "new RE gameplay style with that old RE feel"

you just have to excuse/ignore its 'mobile platform origins' shortcomings (was originally a 3DS title)

then get a partner for RAID Mode after you beat the game and experience the best RE multiplayer since outbreak IMO

Yeah I had the same experience with RE1. The camera (which is one of the things that can bother me most in games) is so awful. You're in a small room and it still can't be bothered to show you the whole room. There's a zombie in here? Oh let me just blindly shoot. I have watched some playthroughs and lots of times people just run by the zombies.
Auto aim will tell you where the zombies are. And you can press a button to snap to different target, which can be used to ensure you're still pointing at something when it moves. Everything makes a reaction sound when you hit them, so you'll know whether or not you missed.

Auto aim will tell you where the zombies are. And you can press a button to snap to different target, which can be used to ensure you're still pointing at something when it moves. Everything makes a reaction sound when you hit them, so you'll know whether or not you missed.

The proper way to play is to hear a sound when you enter an area, back yourself into a corner/wall within camera frame, wait for enemy to enter the frame, then pray you left yourself enough health/ammo/distance

Running by the zombies is staple of RE games though. You're solving the puzzle/puzzles of the house and at higher difficulties you don't really kill things. Avoid if you can if not shoot to stun and then blow past them.

Running by the zombies is staple of RE games though. You're solving the puzzle/puzzles of the house and at higher difficulties you don't really kill things. Avoid if you can if not shoot to stun and then blow past them.
Yeah, I enjoy blowing their heads off with the shotgun though. :)

nonsense - avoid creating crimson heads, but don't kill anything (at first) so that you can hoard ammo and then you just clear the place out in one sweep like rambo

literally how I play every RE game lol

how is a GTX 960 the Minimum required for ray-tracing?

RE2 Minimum PC Requirements for next-gen upgrade patch

an upcoming free patch for RE2, RE3 and RE7 "will tout cutting-edge features including ray tracing, high frame rate and 3D audio to enhance the immersion of the award-winning experiences"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/883710/view/3344499520730262230

Minimum requirements:
■OS
Before:WINDOWS® 7, 8.1, 10 (64-BIT Required)
After:WINDOWS® 10 (64-BIT Required)

■DirectX
Before:Version 11
After:Version 12

■Graphics
Before:
NVIDIA® GeForce® GeForce GTX 760
or AMD Radeon™ R7 260x
After:
NVIDIA® GeForce® GeForce GTX 960
or AMD Radeon™ RX 460

The game is not demanding at all now but it does eat a lot of vram so the new enhancements and RT effects will have to be very minimal or those 8gb or less cards will likely have issues at settings they could otherwise run.

And the game does have some occasional performance issues in DX12 that are not there in DX11 so I hope they have enough sense to fix that first. I dont have a lot of faith since they never bothered to address to 30 fps distant animation in RE2 or RE3 or fix the garbage screen space reflections.

The game is not demanding at all now but it does eat a lot of vram so the new enhancements and RT effects will have to be very minimal or those 8gb or less cards will likely have issues at settings they could otherwise run.

And the game does have some occasional performance issues in DX12 that are not there in DX11 so I hope they have enough sense to fix that first. I dont have a lot of faith since they never bothered to address to 30 fps distant animation in RE2 or RE3 or fix the garbage screen space reflections.

it's less demanding than the settings say - i'm maxed except for ambient occlusion using SSAO not HDAO+ in 2 and 3 remake on a 3060ti and it says im using 12+GB of vram - i'm not, and i still get ~160 fps @ 1440p 100% render res and no stutters or frame drops/performance decreases from vram being used up

it's less demanding than the settings say - i'm maxed except for ambient occlusion using SSAO not HDAO+ in 2 and 3 remake on a 3060ti and it says im using 12+GB of vram - i'm not, and i still get ~160 fps @ 1440p 100% render res and no stutters or frame drops/performance decreases from vram being used up
I am well aware you do not need the vram shown in the settings menu. The POINT was even something like a 3070 has plenty of gpu power left for ray tracing at 4k in this game but the vram will likely be an issue. For example Doom Eternal added ray tracing and my 3070 could no longer run max textures even at just 1440p with it on as it ran out of vram. My previous 2080 ti could run it just fine though.

So unless I'm missing something they didn't even bother to fix the simple fucking things like the shitty 30 FPS animations.

I am well aware you do not need the vram shown in the settings menu. The POINT was even something like a 3070 has plenty of gpu power left for ray tracing at 4k in this game but the vram will likely be an issue. For example Doom Eternal added ray tracing and my 3070 could no longer run max textures even at just 1440p with it on as it ran out of vram. My previous 2080 ti could run it just fine though.
In Doom Eternal, the max settings just reduce texture streaming, which doesn't hurt anything in the first place really, for the top few settings on textures. I bet you could run it max but with textures down 2 notches just fine on your 3070 with raytracing.

It isn't always that simple.
But it is. If they are paying teams to produce and market these as next-generation versions, they need to make them into next-generation versions. Simple, really.

PS: If changing the playback rate of animations (that already transition between full and half rate from a player-controlled metric) is more complex than adding raytracing, the tools developers and engine techs have not done their job.

It isn't always that simple.
I haven't googled it in a while but at one time there were simple mods that fixed it. I tried one and couldn't get it to work properly and I was almost through with the game so I just didn't worry about it again. There is no way I will play back through resident evil 3 though with the animations like that again as it was very distracting at times.

I haven't googled it in a while but at one time there were simple mods that fixed it. I tried one and couldn't get it to work properly and I was almost through with the game so I just didn't worry about it again. There is no way I will play back through resident evil 3 though with the animations like that again as it was very distracting at times.

I only ever noticed it at the very start when you walk towards the zombies behind the fence before they knock it over and get brad, can't think of any other time in the game i've seen it on multiple playthroughs

same settings i mentioned before

ray tracing set to on then the 2 sub options set to max

~65-90fps i saw

ray traced reflections in the rain at least (umbrella sign reflection in water on sidewalk at opening gas station) have visible particle ghosting it appears as, thought it might have been motion blur, turned that off, wasn't it

edit: big hits the first time certain areas load, main lobby and then initial hallway leading to it with the drop down security gate, when i went back in there again - and i had audio delays when leon and claire meet at the police station when they were talking, i'm waiting an update or two

Last edited:
same settings i mentioned before

ray tracing set to on then the 2 sub options set to max

~65-90fps i saw

ray traced reflections in the rain at least (umbrella sign reflection in water on sidewalk at opening gas station) have visible particle ghosting it appears as, thought it might have been motion blur, turned that off, wasn't it

edit: big hits the first time certain areas load, main lobby and then initial hallway leading to it with the drop down security gate, when i went back in there again - and i had audio delays when leon and claire meet at the police station when they were talking, i'm waiting an update or two

Yeah I am seeing others saying how crappy the quality of the RT reflections are. And good grief its over 85GB between the 3 RE games for this update.

Good news is they're adding third person mode to RE8 so maybe I'll actually play that one now, I do not like how clunky fps re titles are, I expect counterstrike responsiveness, I literally just can't even with them Becky

I wonder why they did not add 3rd person to RE7. The older I get the more I cant stand 1st person.

Well it does certainly at least allocate a lot more vram with ray tracing on. At 4K I was using nearly all of my 12 gigs at times with it hovering around 11 or so most of the time. At 1440p it seemed to stay between 9.5 and 10 most of the time. As usual there's so many liars on the Steam forums claiming insane performance. I've seen more than one ass hat on there claiming to stay above 120 FPS which is nonsense as even at 1440p there were spots that dropped below 100 FPS and at 4K there were spots that were in the 60s. In my opinion for PC users this is not even worth turning on unless you've got tons of GPU power to spare. Also I don't know what in the hell they were thinking by putting FSR 1.0 in this game.

Back