Resetting file permissions?

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
Pretty much all my files have traveled with me from install to install over the last 5 years. I always keep my Windows install on a hard drive separate from the ones I keep all my stuff on (libraries in Windows is wonderful). I've noticed that whenever I reformat/reinstall Windows and need to access my personal files, I get the pop up dialog saying "you need permission to access this folder". I also noticed that when I check the permissions it has a bunch of different past owners. it's no big deal, because when I click "ok" on the "you need permission" dialog it gives me access to the files and folders. However it doesn't seem to make me the actual owner of the content - it's as if i'm getting permission from my past accounts to access the files.

I've also noticed that when I right click a file and select properties that every file says "this file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer". I don't seem to have any problems, though - I'm able to move, alter, open, and delete any file I choose. I'm just afraid that one day the permissions will be, I dunno - jumbled - or something? I feel like some day, after a fresh install, I'll somehow be denied access to my files. Is there a way to reset all file permissions to get rid of all the previous stuff? I found this: http://lallousx86.wordpress.com/200...s-files-security-and-permission-in-windows-7/

...but I'm not exactly sure if I should use it or not. I'm not even sure if I'm explaining this all correctly so please bear with me! Any insight would be much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Windows uses a guid to control file permissions, not the username. When your files move from install to install with you, the guid that used to have permissions on the old install doesn't on the new, even if the usernames are the same. The fix is a two step process.

1. Grant yourself owner.
As an administrator of the machine, you should be able to give yourself owner of the folder that you want to get access to. You do this by:
a. Right click the folder, hit properties and enter the sharing tab
b. Hit the advanced button
c. Hit the owner tab, and click edit.
d. Choose your name from the list. Tick the box that says replace owner on subcontainers and objects, then hit ok.
e. wait. If you've got lots of files, this could take a while.

At this point, you're the owner of the folder. It doesn't mean you're have access, but as the owner, you can now give yourself access. That brings us to step 2...

2. Give yourself access
a. Again, right click the folder you are working with and choose properties, hit the security tab.
b. Hit the edit button.
c. Hit the add button.
d. Enter your username and hit ok.
e. At this point; if you want to clean up the ACL (Access Control List), remove any of the old GUIDS or user accounts that you don't want to have access anymore.
f. Hit ok to close the permissions dialog.
g. Hit the advanced button, then click Change Permissions
h. Put a tick in the box for "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and click ok. You'll get prompted -- hit yes. As above, if you have TONS of files, it will take a while.
i. When it's done, close out of the permissions windows and you should be good.

To recap -- owner doesn't give you permissions, it gives you the ability to give yourself permissions. Being the owner of the file doesn't mean you have access to it.

To get permissions and clean up the acl of files from previous installs, you need to take ownership, give yourself access, clean up the acl, and push it to all child objects in the filesystem.

move them to a fat drive, then move them back. all permissions will be lost.

Back