Researching GPU's for gaming PC build between ( EVGA 3080 Ti 12GB vs. MSI Suprim 3080 Ti 12GB )

Code_Man

n00b
Hardforum Team,

I am researching two different GPU's and would like to get opinions on the two choices:

1. EVGA 3080 TI 12GB
  2. MSI Suprim 3080 Ti 12GB
Can you justify the higher price point for the MSI for a minimal boost to the clocks?

Thanks,

I'd go EVGA just for the (generally) better customer service. The FPS on either will not be different enough to matter. Unless of course you get a golden sample, but that could happen on either one.

evga FTW or XC3?
FTW3 is the one I have on Newegg that I am been monitoring for any price drops or changes. GPU will probably be my last part for the build. Shooting for the fall season unless prices drop even more than they are now.

To be honest there is no reason to shop for a gpu unless you are ready to buy in week or so. Price,availability and even other newer cards could be available.

To answer.the question I would go EVGA over MSI for the customer service end of the two. MSI makes real good products but there have been issues that have been brought up about their rma as of late.

To be honest there is no reason to shop for a gpu unless you are ready to buy in week or so. Price,availability and even other newer cards could be available.

To answer.the question I would go EVGA over MSI for the customer service end of the two. MSI makes real good products but there have been issues that have been brought up about their rma as of late.
Good to know CU service goes along way along with warranty programs.

If you are targeting fall then I would buy EVGA for the 90 day step up period.

If you are targeting fall then I would buy EVGA for the 90 day step up period.
That will be a good idea if and only if they release to 40xx series. Then they may not have a step up from 30xx to 40xx also.

Thing about the step up program is you pay retail for the stepped up card even if it's on sale. Just a downside to the step up program

If there is truly a pick and availability isn't an issue, I'd buy from EVGA as a company.

I'd undervolt whatever i got anyway.

As an owner of an EVGA RTX 3080 10GB, the only drawback is the heat during load on the GPU.
With 100 % fan curve (yea its loud), it still reaches 82 degrees. Other than that, it's a good card for the price.

My older 1070 and 2080 never got passed 70 degrees with 65% fan curve, so I was a little surprised for high temps during gaming.

As an owner of an EVGA RTX 3080 10GB, the only drawback is the heat during load on the GPU.
With 100 % fan curve (yea its loud), it still reaches 82 degrees. Other than that, it's a good card for the price.

My older 1070 and 2080 never got passed 70 degrees with 65% fan curve, so I was a little surprised for high temps during gaming.

You need to copper shim mod

Surely you have enough sense to know that 82° with the fans at 100% is not normal behavior for that card? I mean literally a few seconds of research shows these cards even on the quiet bios that has the fans putting along would only have temperatures in the low to mid 70s.

I had the MSI GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X 10G - gotta say I was very disappointed with the quality of the cooling for the size of the card (it is MASSIVE). Definitely go EVGA all the way. I have all EVGA cards and I am very happy with their performance and service.

I had the MSI GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X 10G - gotta say I was very disappointed with the quality of the cooling for the size of the card (it is MASSIVE). Definitely go EVGA all the way. I have all EVGA cards and I am very happy with their performance and service.
And I have the opposite experience with EVGA as every single video card that I've ever had issues with has been made by them. I've only had two cards that had constant black screen and they were EVGA. Not to mention those clowns have no idea how to make a fan ramp up and down smoothly. And every issue that I've ever had with their cards is well known and well documented from plenty of others right there on their forums.

Surely you have enough sense to know that 82° with the fans at 100% is not normal behavior for that card? I mean literally a few seconds of research shows these cards even on the quiet bios that has the fans putting along would only have temperatures in the low to mid 70s.
I just bought the card a couple days before commenting about the 3080 and my opinion about it, so yea I should have done some research about undervolting before posting.
Undervolted, and my first attempt was 1906mhz frequency at 868 voltage at with no crashes after playing some BFV and Doom Eternal for a couple days.
The best thing about it was, temps we're no higher than 67 degrees and GPU usage was at 99-100% the whole time with a fan curve of 70%. The fan noise alone is worth it.

Good thing this didn't happen for too long. Just a little under 2 weeks, so I think the health of the card is still fine.

And I have the opposite experience with EVGA as every single video card that I've ever had issues with has been made by them. I've only had two cards that had constant black screen and they were EVGA. Not to mention those clowns have no idea how to make a fan ramp up and down smoothly. And every issue that I've ever had with their cards is well known and well documented from plenty of others right there on their forums.
That sucks man! I’d love to see the documentation.

I just bought the card a couple days before commenting about the 3080 and my opinion about it, so yea I should have done some research about undervolting before posting.
Undervolted, and my first attempt was 1906mhz frequency at 868 voltage at with no crashes after playing some BFV and Doom Eternal for a couple days.
The best thing about it was, temps we're no higher than 67 degrees and GPU usage was at 99-100% the whole time with a fan curve of 70%. The fan noise alone is worth it.

Good thing this didn't happen for too long. Just a little under 2 weeks, so I think the health of the card is still fine.
I think you missed the entire point which is that the card should not be running at those temperatures in the first place even at stock fan speeds never mind the fact that you have the fans at 100%. There's either something wrong with the card or you are using it in some extremely adverse conditions.

I think you missed the entire point which is that the card should not be running at those temperatures in the first place even at stock fan speeds never mind the fact that you have the fans at 100%. There's either something wrong with the card or you are using it in some extremely adverse conditions.
The day that I had in the low 80's, there was a heat wave going around in North America. Typically on a normal day with average weather, it would probably hit 75-76 degrees without undervolting.
Now that I undervolted, and it doesn't hit that anymore. There's nothing wrong with the card. I even tested it in Resident Evil Village and left it laying for an hour without any problems.

I've seen other people post about having that kind of heat without undervolting, so I'm not too worried. I'm pretty sure I have enough cooling to keep it under 70's now from undervolting.

Attachments

• 3080.jpg
    3080.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 0
Not sure how well the Hydro copper stays cool. I'm using a EK Vector block. Let me know how it runs. Been looking at them.

Thanks for reminding me- I forgot to install the Precision software, and that's currently updating my firmware. I'll let you know what I see for temps later.

49c while Foldin@Home, dropped to 40c in about 3 seconds when I paused it. Not too shabby (it's hot in my office right now).

Last edited:
Go with asus tuf. It's an overall cooler card than the evga one. I had that one and ended up returning it for the tuf because of thermals. You can easily throttle on it

Not sure how well the Hydro copper stays cool. I'm using a EK Vector block. Let me know how it runs. Been looking at them.
Just got it in today. Heavy mofo for sure. At stock, managed Superposition score of 12217 and temps got to 40c. Kombustor just heated it to 42c max. Alot less heat coming off of it compared to my 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid.

Can someone give me some relative size differences between an EVGA 1080ti i have and a standard non FE 3080ti? Looking at the specifications between my card and a few EVGA 3080ti's it looks like the dimensions are the same except the PCIE-slot height of 2.2 compared to 2.0 with 1080ti.

I have an N1case with 2 fans on the bottom and may not be able to fit a 3080ti in my little case. Maybe I'll have to get slim fans on the bottom to make it work.

After seeing these 3-series cards being $1k-2k for two years, I feel bad buying a 3080ti so late into the game with 4080's being released. But after seeing a comparable 4080 at $1200 lol No way!

It's amazing what a couple of months can do. I wonder for how long eVGA will be offering customer service for their video cards. Would anybody still recommend an eVGA card going forward?

Reactions: pavel
like this
It's amazing what a couple of months can do. I wonder for how long eVGA will be offering customer service for their video cards. Would anybody still recommend an eVGA card going forward?
I hope someone answers you soon. :)

Reactions: gvx64
like this
They're great cards and they were a great NVIDIA GPU company. Since they will no longer be an NVIDIA GPU company - I would not recommend a purchase brand new if a similar quality card is available at the same price or a bit more or less. They say they will support cards until the end of the warranty - but if you use common sense you will find that it is likely they will do the bare minimum. Which is a far cry from what they used to do. Just my opinion, of course.

I was/is a huge EVGA fan boy. I've since moved on to ASUS. Not a huge fan of theirs but overall their quality is high. I'll also give a nod to MSI, as well. Also, obviously, the elephant in the room is the whole cause of this mess - NVIDIA. Their RTX 4090 is amazing and you can tell why EVGA quit.

They're great cards and they were a great NVIDIA GPU company. Since they will no longer be an NVIDIA GPU company - I would not recommend a purchase brand new if a similar quality card is available at the same price or a bit more or less. They say they will support cards until the end of the warranty - but if you use common sense you will find that it is likely they will do the bare minimum. Which is a far cry from what they used to do. Just my opinion, of course.

I was/is a huge EVGA fan boy. I've since moved on to ASUS. Not a huge fan of theirs but overall their quality is high. I'll also give a nod to MSI, as well. Also, obviously, the elephant in the room is the whole cause of this mess - NVIDIA. Their RTX 4090 is amazing and you can tell why EVGA quit.
Most (used) EVGA cards would be on the 2nd or 3rd year by now? I bought mine last summer so it's about 7 months now - but, lots of ppl bought cards way before that? EVGA will do the bare minimum but I agree about buying new cards - I wouldn't. But, used might be okay?

For new cards - I would look at Asus - MSI - Gigabyte - in that order - with Zotac as a choice if there's no other option. I am not sure what the Gigabyte cards complaints are - but, I have read of some. Yet, other buyers are satisfied with their cards. I wouldn't overclock mine and I don't - too much trouble and I don't want the noise. I would undervolt - and it's also a 'selling' point if you ever sell - imho. If someone believes you, that is. :)

In my area and online - I see a lot of EVGA cards for sale - some Zotac and some Gigabyte - the odd Asus card shows up - but, I also see (especially online) - a lot of 'scalpers' - imho, ppl/sellers are asking way too much. Thus, I'm just kinda waiting - although, I don't know if it's better to buy something now or just keep waiting.

Most (used) EVGA cards would be on the 2nd or 3rd year by now? I bought mine last summer so it's about 7 months now - but, lots of ppl bought cards way before that? EVGA will do the bare minimum but I agree about buying new cards - I wouldn't. But, used might be okay?

For new cards - I would look at Asus - MSI - Gigabyte - in that order - with Zotac as a choice if there's no other option. I am not sure what the Gigabyte cards complaints are - but, I have read of some. Yet, other buyers are satisfied with their cards. I wouldn't overclock mine and I don't - too much trouble and I don't want the noise. I would undervolt - and it's also a 'selling' point if you ever sell - imho. If someone believes you, that is. :)

In my area and online - I see a lot of EVGA cards for sale - some Zotac and some Gigabyte - the odd Asus card shows up - but, I also see (especially online) - a lot of 'scalpers' - imho, ppl/sellers are asking way too much. Thus, I'm just kinda waiting - although, I don't know if it's better to buy something now or just keep waiting.
Absolutely. Used is definitely OK. They're great cards.

But remember - some companies (like MSI, for example) tie the warranty to the serial number. So you can buy used and still get a warranty if you get the receipt and stuff. Something to consider.

I'm looking at 3090s right now. I skimmed through the 'coil whine' thread - someone was saying their FE had coil whine.
I'm wondering if there's any cards to search for or any to avoid? The ones that are usually available are the EVGA FTW3, Asus (Tuf & Strix) - sometimes and the FE (although, all of these are pretty expensive even used).

Back