Researching AMD processors for x570 chipset for gaming PC ( Ryzen 5800X3D vs. Ryzen 5950x )

I can't tell you how it will behave under air cooling; I have mine under a 360mm AIO. Gaming under my AIO, temps sit in the mid 60's, and maybe spike at 70C. If I run Prime 95 or Cinebench in loops; my CPU will go as high as the thermal limit I have set (which I set mine for 85C, which is under the 90C default in Bios). All of which are perfectly safe under 100% max load.

I imagine for air cooling; your CPU would be fine, but I imagine boosting might be limited in the sense that your CPU will be warmer overall; which will keep boosts lower. However, if you are crafty with your curve and power settings; you might be alright.

I have not touched air cooling since my Intel Q9450 from the LGA775 era... lol. Maybe someone else can chime in here for the air cooling part. :) There might be some good articles on air cooling a 5950X as well if you search around on google or reddit.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm still researching different BIG AIR cooling brands and there pros and cons. The Fractal Torrent is purposed for air cooling. The AIO mounts are not ideal since you cant mount a top AIO. The front / bottom seem like a ticking time bomb when talking about AIO's.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm still researching different BIG AIR cooling brands and there pros and cons. The Fractal Torrent is purposed for air cooling. The AIO mounts are not ideal since you cant mount a top AIO. The front / bottom seem like a ticking time bomb when talking about AIO's.
What do you mean you can't top mount an AIO? My AIO (Corsair H150I RGB Pro) is mounted on the top of my case... Or are you talking about your specific case situation?

It's case-specific, Fractal Design Torrents do not allow for top-mounted radiators.
It's interesting reading their webpage as they claim to even be great for water cooling, but yes, now I clearly see there is no top RAD mounting. So, I am curious how they are claiming they are good for water cooling without that ability.

The cases they have look neat, but they do not look ideal for H2O, that's for sure.

It's interesting reading their webpage as they claim to even be great for water cooling, but yes, now I clearly see there is no top RAD mounting. So, I am curious how they are claiming they are good for water cooling without that ability.

The cases they have look neat, but they do not look ideal for H2O, that's for sure.
The Torrent definitely is designed for air cooling. You can front- or bottom-mount radiators, but those are not ideal as the front partially obstructs or might even require the removal of the front fans, which are a signature part of the case, and the bottom mount presents a problem for AIOs. Some of their other cases have better water cooling support, but even still not to the extent of other case manufacturers.

Good air cooling will do just as well as AIO or water for temperatures these days - the difference is how quickly the fans have to spin up (thermal capacity of the solution). 5950 on a good Noctua cooler is fine. Hell, my 3960X is on air and does just fine.

Good air cooling will do just as well as AIO or water for temperatures these days - the difference is how quickly the fans have to spin up (thermal capacity of the solution). 5950 on a good Noctua cooler is fine. Hell, my 3960X is on air and does just fine.
Yep. I purchased Notcua's thermal paste and have it ready to go for whatever cooler I choose.

I was using a Thermalright Le Grand Macho on my 3900X and it cooled fine, but I upgraded to an Arctic Liquid Freezer 420 when I upgraded to the 5950X.

I didn't test thermals with the air cooler, sadly. As I had to change the backplate back to stock for the AIO... I will say that my 5950X + ALF2 is cooler than my 3900X + Le Grand Macho, but I don't know if that's the cooler or the chip.

I think, in a Fractal Torrent, you'll be fine with air cooling.

5950x at stock would be fine on Air. If you are running PBO, custom PBO settings along with a high LLC setting, or Curve Optimizer ---- you might have trouble getting good results on air----As I got only OK results with a good 240mm AIO. But I really don't think its necessary to overclock a 5950x or do custom PBO/higher LLC.

5950x at stock would be fine on Air. If you are running PBO, custom PBO settings along with a high LLC setting, or Curve Optimizer ---- you might have trouble getting good results on air----As I got only OK results with a good 240mm AIO. But I really don't think its necessary to overclock a 5950x or do custom PBO/higher LLC.
I did pick up the x570s Aorus Master chipset, which does allow for PBO. Not sure if I will OC right outta the box. Maybe start with the AIR cooling option and run some stress test. If I really want to push it, I'll look at AIO's.

I have a 34inch widescreen at 120HZ. I mostly play Star Citizen.

Seems pretty cut and dry. Stop overthinking it and get what's best for you now, not what might not be in a year or two.

You can always sell it towards an upgrade later if you want. But I don't see the 5800X not being more-than-adequate for any game any time soon and gaming seems to be your primary use case for this PC.

Seems pretty cut and dry. Stop overthinking it and get what's best for you now, not what might not be in a year or two.

You can always sell it towards an upgrade later if you want. But I don't see the 5800X not being more-than-adequate for any game any time soon and gaming seems to be your primary use case for this PC.
Very true. I am going to pull the trigger on the 5800X3D next month or two. Just bought the x4 RAM on backorder. ( have the CASE, MOBO and now RAM off the list )

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Very true. I am going to pull the trigger on the 5800X3D next month or two. Just bought the x4 RAM on backorder. ( have the CASE, MOBO and now RAM off the list )
Best choice for VR gaming. Mine whips my 5900X in a big way when it comes to VR at higher resolutions. I was able to increase my render resolution in steam VR significantly(8% pixel count) and keep FPS between 80-90 FPS. Impossible to do with the 5900X without slideshow VR.

Best choice for VR gaming. Mine whips my 5900X in a big way when it comes to VR at higher resolutions. I was able to increase my render resolution in steam VR significantly(8% pixel count) and keep FPS between 80-90 FPS. Impossible to do with the 5900X without slideshow VR.
Good to know! Thanks for the information.

Um, which headset? Because at that resolution most tend to be GPU limited vs CPU.

Well VR games are still using DX11 in many cases so not exactly optimized for modern hardware. I keep hoping Asobo will continue work on DX12 beta for MSFS 2020 but that seems to be stagnant at this time and perhaps forever. The new cpu has the GPU pegged at 100% all the time now so I can at least enjoy VR now without it becoming a slideshow in heavily populated graphics scenes like NYC and other areas like it. The 5900X is retired to HTPC duty now so it will have and easy life until retirement.

Well VR games are still using DX11 in many cases so not exactly optimized for modern hardware. I keep hoping Asobo will continue work on DX12 beta for MSFS 2020 but that seems to be stagnant at this time and perhaps forever. The new cpu has the GPU pegged at 100% all the time now so I can at least enjoy VR now without it becoming a slideshow in heavily populated graphics scenes like NYC and other areas like it. The 5900X is retired to HTPC duty now so it will have and easy life until retirement.
Msfs isn’t a normal VR game. Aside from being optimized by slaughtering a pig and studying the entrails…. It’s MSFS.

Do you want a work machine that can also game? Then get the 5950X.

But if you want a killer gaming machine that can also do work then get the 5800X3D.

Unless you game at, like 4K, in which case just get the 5950X (since you wont see the increased game performance as you'll be gpu limited @ 4K)

I chose 5950x for my build because I do gaming and CPU 4K HEVC encoding

I was gonna go with the 5900x to save some but more cores for rendering will help so I decided to spring for the 5950x. Glad I did because it's still ~12hours an encode 🥲 Not stuck wondering "what if though" too.

Back