Researching AMD processors for x570 chipset for gaming PC ( Ryzen 5800X3D vs. Ryzen 5950x )

Code_Man

n00b
Hardforum Team,

I am researching AMD Ryzen processors for a gaming PC build, and narrowed it down to two choices:

1. AMD Ryzen 5800X3D for the 96MB Cache ( Gaming focused )
  2. AMD Ryzen 5950X for the multi-core functionality ( again this is more for rendering and production situations )

I'm just torn between a work-horse for gaming in the 5800X3D or getting a jack-of-all-trades 5950X. I would like to get opinions and real-world situations in the matter.

Thanks,

Let me wade in here as someone who's running a 5950X...

The 5950 is a beast. If you can go there- run there. Calling this processor a "Jack of all Trades" is like calling a Ferrari a sports utility vehicle.

The 5800X3D is an impressive and worthy processor. No doubt. If you want an incremental performance boost in games- go for it.

But when all is considered the 5800X3d is still an 8 core processor. More cores equals longer service life as software threads more frequently and code bloat creeps forward.

You might want to add the 5900X to your list. It's been priced pretty competitively lately, and might hit that sweet spot between 'gaming' and 'productivity workhorse' you're lookin
Let me wade in here as someone who's running a 5950X...

The 5950 is a beast. If you can go there- run there. Calling this processor a "Jack of all Trades" is like calling a Ferrari a sports utility vehicle.

The 5800X3D is an impressive and worthy processor. No doubt. If you want an incremental performance boost in games- go for it.

But when all is considered the 5800X3d is still an 8 core processor. More cores equals longer service life as software threads more frequently and code bloat creeps forward.
Thank you for the input. I will consider the x5950 and x5900 before pulling the trigger. Another variable would be cost. If one of these gets a lower price that will be a factor as well.

If you have the budget for a 5950x, that's the direction I'd go. It will be a long time before 16 cores isn't enough. If you're looking at an entirely new motherboard too it might be worth waiting until September if you have time to burn. Rumor has it that's when AM5 and the 7000 series is coming out.

If you have the budget for a 5950x, that's the direction I'd go. It will be a long time before 16 cores isn't enough. If you're looking at an entirely new motherboard too it might be worth waiting until September if you have time to burn. Rumor has it that's when AM5 and the 7000 series is coming out.
Yes I have the budget for it. Also, I already purchased a Aorus x570s Master AM4 platform. I knew the AM5 was scheduled to release soon* but I usually wait for a few re-visions to get all the kinks out. Plus, I wanted to get a gaming rig up an running sooner than later after the market finally calm down on the price front. But, for future builds yes the AM5 is on my radar.

Given the choice of the two, I went for the 5950X

I also pretty much immediately started a project that used all 32 threads and it took about 40 minutes on the 5950X, compared to 2.5-3 hours on my old 3900X, so if you know you have a use for that many cores, go for it.

Given the choice of the two, I went for the 5950X

I also pretty much immediately started a project that used all 32 threads and it took about 40 minutes on the 5950X, compared to 2.5-3 hours on my old 3900X, so if you know you have a use for that many cores, go for it.
Indeed. If your workload likes cores-----the 5800X3D will not be sufficient.

Indeed. If your workload likes cores-----the 5800X3D will not be sufficient.
I'm not a content creator or have any heavy workloads that require the cores. But, are games leaning towards cache or cores? For instance, some games utilize cache in there coding more than others.. but it could flip flop one day and It could utilize cores more than cache... AHHHHH decisions..

I'm not a content creator or have any heavy workloads that require the cores. But, are games leaning towards cache or cores? For instance, some games utilize cache in there coding more than others.. but it could flip flop one day and It could utilize cores more than cache... AHHHHH decisions..
For now, cache is more beneficial in most games. Also some games run on single-core performance, so that's a factor to consider as well. If you're not doing any heavy content creation, encoding, etc., you're probably gonna be fine with the 5800X3D.

In most games, the 5600x is only slightly behind the 5800x/5900x/5950x. I don't think games will need 16 cores anytime soon. Which is why I recently said it would be amazing if AMD did a 5650X3d (6 core with V-cache) for $300.

Most game situations which do like more than 6 cores----don't scale well beyond 8 cores.

After that, any game which seems to benefit from 12 or 16 cores----isn't well documented/published. And sometimes its muddied by the fact that higher core CPUs often have more cache (especially in the case of Intel CPUs). Some online games seem to benefit. VR might scale well beyond 8 cores. But there isn't a lot of published testing on that sort of thing.

In most games, the 5600x is only slightly behind the 5800x/5900x/5950x. I don't think games will need 16 cores anytime soon. Which is why I recently said it would be amazing if AMD did a 5650X3d (6 core with V-cache) for $300.

Most game situations which do like more than 6 cores----don't scale well beyond 8 cores.

After that, any game which seems to benefit from 12 or 16 cores----isn't well documented/published. And sometimes its muddied by the fact that higher core CPUs often have more cache (especially in the case of Intel CPUs). Some online games seem to benefit. VR might scale well beyond 8 cores. But there isn't a lot of published testing on that sort of thing.
*cough* sins of a solar empire *cough*

(also the only one I can name that will eat every core you give it, at 100%, for good reason).

If your gaming is done in 3D the 5800X3D is highly recommended if not any of 5000 series cpu's should be fine.
I mean, solitare runs well on anything. As does doom 1993. :p Everything is 3d now, this is kinda a nonsensical statement.

*cough* sins of a solar empire *cough*

(also the only one I can name that will eat every core you give it, at 100%, for good reason).
Lots of strategy and simulation games will eat all 16 cores of my 5950x. Its the first processor I've had that can actually play my full Cities Skyline or Planet Coaster/zoo at almost 60fps. With mods.

It's quite lovely. I actually gave up on it ever happening given that the 3900x was only about 25fps.

Lots of strategy and simulation games will eat all 16 cores of my 5950x. Its the first processor I've had that can actually play my full Cities Skyline or Planet Coaster/zoo at almost 60fps. With mods.

It's quite lovely. I actually gave up on it ever happening given that the 3900x was only about 25fps.
Yeah. Sins kills my 3960x and my 10980 - which is awesome given how good the AI can get.

Go for the 5800x3d or the 5900 if it's strictly for gaming. I recently purchased the 5950x even though I will never use all the cores available to me.

Go for the 5800x3d or the 5900 if it's strictly for gaming. I recently purchased the 5950x even though I will never use all the cores available to me.
Yes I'm leaning towards the 5800X3D. But if the 5950x drops even more in price. Why not eh? Right now its $100 or so more than the 3D.

$70 extra for 8 more cores and higher clocks as I type this. The 5800X3D would be a niche choice IMHO at that price difference./

1656083917769.png

Or a 5900x for $395 new. I think it's worth considering. Neither the 5800x3d or 5950x on average will really be all that faster in games compared to a 5900x at higher resolutions, but you save a bunch of money and still have the frequency/core count over the 3D.

Or a 5900x for $395 new. I think it's worth considering. Neither the 5800x3d or 5950x on average will really be all that faster in games compared to a 5900x at higher resolutions, but you save a bunch of money and still have the frequency/core count over the 3D.
I do a lot of 1440p resolution gaming. Never dip into 1080p anymore. So the 5900x would be better for those resolutions? I need to start researching the 5900x then if that's the case. Please verify.

Thanks,

It all depends on the games you play.

I personally don't give a single fuck about 300hz 1080p games. I stopped playing games at 1080p with graphical quality turned down 5+ years ago.
If you want the best Fortnite or CSGO or whatever the bell eSports titles people are playing at 1080p, go for the fastest single core performance.

I do, however, play an absolute ton of simulation and other CPU heavy multi-threaded games and also do transcoding and rendering and other computationally heavy tasks where the 5950X makes perfect sense to me.

So, what games are you playing and do you care about 300fps vs 350fps? Do you even have a monitor that can support that high of FPS? That's where the decision is.

I have a 1440p165hz monitor and I frankly don't think I'd ever need faster than that for my own personal gaming tastes. Still, with quite a few games, I prefer em and enjoy them on my 4k60fps monitor where I'm super glad my 5950x is now allowing more than 20fps.

I do a lot of 1440p resolution gaming. Never dip into 1080p anymore. So the 5900x would be better for those resolutions? I need to start researching the 5900x then if that's the case. Please verify.

Thanks,
No, the 5800x3d is better at every resolution in most games, but the question you need to ask yourself is if it's worth $150 over the 5900x for framerate improvements you won't notice as a real human being at 1440p. Not to mention the sacrifice of 4 cores and frequency for production work compared to the 5900x.

Personally, I think the 5900x is the only one worth getting given the great price it's at. 5950x is the only other one worth considering if you need those cores over the 5900x for the few tasks that need it.

I wouldn't even consider a 5800x at this point given the pricing on the 5900x. You either decide you don't care about the cash and just want the best gaming CPU which is the 5800x3d. Or you want the best production CPU so the 5950x. Or you want a blend of both and get the 5900x while saving some money.

If you need to stay at/below the $300 mark, look at the 5700x instead.

It all depends on the games you play.

I personally don't give a single fuck about 300hz 1080p games. I stopped playing games at 1080p with graphical quality turned down 5+ years ago.
If you want the best Fortnite or CSGO or whatever the bell eSports titles people are playing at 1080p, go for the fastest single core performance.

I do, however, play an absolute ton of simulation and other CPU heavy multi-threaded games and also do transcoding and rendering and other computationally heavy tasks where the 5950X makes perfect sense to me.

So, what games are you playing and do you care about 300fps vs 350fps? Do you even have a monitor that can support that high of FPS? That's where the decision is.

I have a 1440p165hz monitor and I frankly don't think I'd ever need faster than that for my own personal gaming tastes. Still, with quite a few games, I prefer em and enjoy them on my 4k60fps monitor where I'm super glad my 5950x is now allowing more than 20fps.
I have a 34inch widescreen at 120HZ. I mostly play Star Citizen.

Already watch it lol. That's why I'm contemplating the 3D, but I got to slap myself and look at the bigger picture.. Will Star Citizen use a lot of cache early on and once optimized will it be obsolete? I keep projecting my mind to the future and it keeps saying get the higher core/thread count.. But also get drawn to the present and want to see massive gains now, cause I'm impatient af.

Only the devs of SC could answer that question. I replaced my 5900X with the 58003D and it blows my mind how much better my gaming is now particularly in VR and games that don't take advantage of the higher core count cpu. No way I'd go back to 5900X.

Only the devs of SC could answer that question. I replaced my 5900X with the 58003D and it blows my mind how much better my gaming is now particularly in VR and games that don't take advantage of the higher core count cpu. No way I'd go back to 5900X.
YES. I want to VR as well. Especially Half Life Alyx. If your saying the 3D is good for VR, that's another check in my book.

For me the only appeal to the 5950 is its single core clock potential. I had a 5600 before a 5900, and really.. the only reason I bought the 5900 was because of its potential to boost to 5150MHz.. which it does. I do not need 12 cores at all for anything I do, but I do like the boost , and the cache :)

It seems like your use case favors the 5800X3D. I'd probably just look for a deal on that.

By the time that it becomes irrelevant due to the lack of cores, the 5950x will also be irrelevant for lack of speed in most games.

1. I don't buy into the "gaming" marketing hype. I look at core count and my workload needs.
2. I plan on waiting on Intel and AMD's next move. Not sold on DDR5 but prices are dropping fast.
3. If you want to game now it will not come cheap even though GPU prices are dropping. my Zotac Holo 3080 still hovers around a grand.

As someone who has a 5950X and uses their computer for gaming and work (mostly in VMs); I'd recommend the 5950X all the way. Also, the 5950X has some nice single core boosting too. I easily hit 5.1~5.2Ghz Single Core boost and all core while gaming hovers anywhere from 4.8~4.9Ghz solid the entire time.

It's been a solid platform for me for over a year and I'm quite happy with it.

As someone who has a 5950X and uses their computer for gaming and work (mostly in VMs); I'd recommend the 5950X all the way. Also, the 5950X has some nice single core boosting too. I easily hit 5.1~5.2Ghz Single Core boost and all core while gaming hovers anywhere from 4.8~4.9Ghz solid the entire time.

It's been a solid platform for me for over a year and I'm quite happy with it.
How are the thermals on the x5950? I will be going with BIG AIR coolers instead of AIO's since I have a Fractal Design Torrent case. Want to utilize air cooling if I can help it. Heard the x5950 gets pretty hot under high load. Please advise.

How are the thermals on the x5950? I will be going with BIG AIR coolers instead of AIO's since I have a Fractal Design Torrent case. Want to utilize air cooling if I can help it. Heard the x5950 gets pretty hot under high load. Please advise.
I can't tell you how it will behave under air cooling; I have mine under a 360mm AIO. Gaming under my AIO, temps sit in the mid 60's, and maybe spike at 70C. If I run Prime 95 or Cinebench in loops; my CPU will go as high as the thermal limit I have set (which I set mine for 85C, which is under the 90C default in Bios). All of which are perfectly safe under 100% max load.

I imagine for air cooling; your CPU would be fine, but I imagine boosting might be limited in the sense that your CPU will be warmer overall; which will keep boosts lower. However, if you are crafty with your curve and power settings; you might be alright.

I have not touched air cooling since my Intel Q9450 from the LGA775 era... lol. Maybe someone else can chime in here for the air cooling part. :) There might be some good articles on air cooling a 5950X as well if you search around on google or reddit.

Back