Researchers Show Off Laser-Guided Robot

HardOCP News

[H] News
Research students in Georgia Tech's Robotics program have designed a robot that goes wherever you tell it to, simply by pointing a laser at something. This is a dream come true for men! Just point at the fridge and say “get me a beer” and there you have it!

"The entire world becomes a point and click interface. Objects become buttons. And if you point at one, the robot comes to grab it," said Charlie Kemp, the director of Georgia Tech's Center for Healthcare Robotics and the robot's designer. "It creates a clickable world."

They are just getting closer to the ultimate goal. Frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads.

That's a nice looking laser, been meaning to get one but they're friggen expensive (and borderline illegal)

Anyone know of a way to incorporate that technology into my girlfriend? :D

Would be pretty nice! Although it would be kind of boring

It might get old after awhile but still would be nice to point the laser at the fridge where the beer is and watch her go get it. :p

While it sounds cool, I always take announcements like this with a huge grain of salt. How many times have we heard about great new technologies under development that for some reason or another never make it to market?

the prices on green lasers has droped quite a bit, a while ago i got a nice one for about $40.

Keep an eye out on this link, they offer some good deals on green lasers

http://www.luckyduck.com/index.php?/forms/basement

Meh, weird looking and 40 isn't the greatest price. If anyone is interested wickedlasers.com they got lasers that burn with a visible beam but they're friggen expensive, wanted one and still do but 500 for a laser? also dragonlasers.com, optotronics (sp?), laserglow, and atlasnova. and then there are flashlights...

Meh, weird looking and 40 isn't the greatest price. If anyone is interested wickedlasers.com they got lasers that burn with a visible beam but they're friggen expensive, wanted one and still do but 500 for a laser? also dragonlasers.com, optotronics (sp?), laserglow, and atlasnova. and then there are flashlights...

Yeah, but that wasnt the one that was on sale when i got it. It was the APC version, its a silver pen shaped laser. What made it a really good deal is that unlike alot of the "cheaper" is that it has an IR filter and it could be easily modded to a higher output by adjusting the pot on the circuit board

Yeah, but that wasnt the one that was on sale when i got it. It was the APC version, its a silver pen shaped laser. What made it a really good deal is that unlike alot of the "cheaper" is that it has an IR filter and it could be easily modded to a higher output by adjusting the pot on the circuit board

And by IR filter, i mean UV filter.

Jesus Christ!!! How fucking lazy are we already? And now this?

Uh, can I have one? j/k

While it sounds cool, I always take announcements like this with a huge grain of salt. How many times have we heard about great new technologies under development that for some reason or another never make it to market?

----> . <----

Jesus Christ!!! How fucking lazy are we already? And now this?

Uh, can I have one? j/k

From the article it seems that those who are physically unable to move due diseases affecting motor nerves.

Uhm, el oh el?
bigwowod3.jpg

And by IR filter, i mean UV filter.

No you mean IR filter lol, a Green 532nm DPSS laser works with an IR source (i forgot the specific wavelength) and then converted to 1064nm and then halved by another crystal to 532 which is the output. The IR filter filters any IR light that may have leaked past the crystal because IR can easily damage your eyes as it is invisible and like bounces off everything. Lack of IR filters are the things you see on ebay having an advertised output of like 75mw for $50, the IR filter artificially increases the wattage as well as damages your eyes. Oh, and potmodding? not a good thing, it will kill your laser in like 5 minutes.

No you mean IR filter lol, a Green 532nm DPSS laser works with an IR source (i forgot the specific wavelength) and then converted to 1064nm and then halved by another crystal to 532 which is the output. The IR filter filters any IR light that may have leaked past the crystal because IR can easily damage your eyes as it is invisible and like bounces off everything. Lack of IR filters are the things you see on ebay having an advertised output of like 75mw for $50, the IR filter artificially increases the wattage as well as damages your eyes. Oh, and potmodding? not a good thing, it will kill your laser in like 5 minutes.

no, my understanding is that this model is basically underpowered to 5mw for FDA requirements, by pot modding you can get 10-15mw out of them in many cases. I have no idea what mine is running at since i have no way to measure it, but it is brighter than stock and it has been running this way for probably comming on 2 years now.

lol that's a good thing, some people pot mod there's to numbers in excess of 30mw if you look at some of those vids on youtube.

Back