Researchers observe brain-like behavior in nanoscale device

erek

[H]F Junkie
Closer to a real brain!

"Neuromorphic networks are formed by random self-assembly of silver nanowires. Silver nanowires are coated with a polymer layer after synthesis in which junctions between two nanowires act as resistive switches, often compared with neurosynapses. We analyze the role of single junction switching in the dynamical properties of the neuromorphic network. Network transitions to a high-conductance state under the application of a voltage bias higher than a threshold value. The stability and permanence of this state is studied by shifting the voltage bias in order to activate or deactivate the network. A model of the electrical network with atomic switches reproduces the relation between individual nanowire junctions switching events with current pathway formation or destruction. This relation is further manifested in changes in 1/f power-law scaling of the spectral distribution of current. The current fluctuations involved in this scaling shift are considered to arise from an essential equilibrium between formation, stochastic-mediated breakdown of individual nanowire-nanowire junctions and the onset of different current pathways that optimize power dissipation. This emergent dynamics shown by polymer-coated Ag nanowire networks places this system in the class of optimal transport networks, from which new fundamental parallels with neural dynamics and natural computing problem-solving can be drawn."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-51330-6

15-researcherso.jpg

At what point will they become sentient?
When that happens it will be against the law to prevent them from living, they will at minimum need none volatile memory so they dont die when powered off.
New laws will be needed to give them rights which could make it illegal to power them down (unless with their specific permission) or leave them without a power backup in emergency.
I'm not against the research, someone will do it.
This is a huge rabbit hole though.

Apologies for being so profound this early on a wet Xmas eve, my dreamstate is still active :)

At what point will they become sentient?
When that happens it will be against the law to prevent them from living, they will at minimum need none volatile memory so they dont die when powered off.
New laws will be needed to give them rights which could make it illegal to power them down (unless with their specific permission) or leave them without a power backup in emergency.
I'm not against the research, someone will do it.
This is a huge rabbit hole though.

Apologies for being so profound this early on a wet Xmas eve, my dreamstate is still active :)

No beating heart, no life

Bah! Silicon cannot feel emotion.

(^^^ I think this is how the Terminator movies start. :) )

you should see what they've developed over at Los Alamos but I don't know from personal experience, just a hunch ;)

Back