Researchers Find That Your Browsing History is Vulnerable

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Techxplore reports that researchers from UC San Diego and Stanford found a new technique to expose a victim's browser history. According to the researchers, the attack works in recent version of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and a number of other browsers. "History Sniffing" attacks work by probing the browser to see what pages have been visited before, and their effectiveness largely relies on the speed at which the code can be executed. The researchers claim this new method can sniff out much of the user's history in a matter of seconds.

The researchers propose a bold fix to these issues: they believe browsers should set explicit boundaries controlling how users' browsing histories are used to display web pages from different sites. One major source of information leakage was the mechanism which colors links either blue or purple depending on whether the user has visited their destination pages, so that, for example, someone clicking down a Google search results page can keep their place. Under the researchers' model, clicking links on one website (e.g., Google) wouldn't affect the color of links appearing on another website (e.g., Facebook). Users could potentially grant exceptions to certain websites of their choosing. The researchers are prototyping this fix and evaluating the trade-offs of such a privacy-conscious browser.

I read the article, and neither my Mom nor my girlfriend are gonna figure that shit out, so I'm good.

Back