Researchers Discover Novel Material For Cooling Electronic Devices

HardOCP News

[H] News
Scientist are saying that cubic boron arsenide has a higher thermal conductivity than diamond. Ummm, while that is cool and all, let's just hope it is cheaper than diamonds. ;)

A team of theoretical physicists at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) and Boston College has identified cubic boron arsenide as a material with an extraordinarily high thermal conductivity and the potential to transfer heat more effectively from electronic devices than diamond, the best-known thermal conductor to date.

I really love the ridiculously dangerous-sounding name.

Wish these discoveries would bear fruit faster. I'd like something smaller, lighter, and more efficient than large heatsinks and radiators.

I'm not sure they'd be much good beyond die stacking and other on-chip thermal problems. If you made a block of it the same size as a modern CPU cooler's heatpipes I'm betting the heatpipes conduct heat an order of magnitude better. Maybe they could coat the insides of the heatpipes with it??

My CPU runs at ambient...... on air cooling. :cool:

I have to wear a HasMat suit and the computer is slowly disolving my desk..... but look at my temps!

My CPU runs at ambient...... on air cooling. :cool:

I have to wear a HasMat suit and the computer is slowly disolving my desk..... but look at my temps!

Tetarahedral boron aresenide will outdo that old stuff by next year.

Tetarahedral boron aresenide will outdo that old stuff by next year.

Theres a new breakthrough in Dodecahedronal boron android arsenide.
It comes with Windows chips and Apple sauce.

Cubic Boron Arsenide IC...nope, doesn't have as nice a ring to it.

XKCD had one on this a few days ago:

scary_names.png

Wish these discoveries would bear fruit faster. I'd like something smaller, lighter, and more efficient than large heatsinks and radiators.

I believe these are on die thermal transfer and do not replace the heatsink.

I believe these are on die thermal transfer and do not replace the heatsink.

And we're still limited by the thermal capacity of air, ultimately. Advances like this applied as they are only increase efficiency a tiny bit and probably the gains barely justify the cost of R&D and end-cost-increase compared to what we have-at least for consumers.

It can reduce spot temperatures.
While it wont affect overall heat transfer much, it can help problem areas on chips.

Back