Researchers Design 3-D Printed Ovaries that Produce Healthy Offspring

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Researchers at Northwestern University have developed 3-D printing technology that may lead to discoveries in facilitating fertility for survivors of cancer. Many young cancer patients become sterilized from the life saving treatments they receive. Using test mice as subjects, the all female research team was able to 3-D print bio-prosthetic ovaries that ovulated and produced offspring in the mice. The mice had raised hormones, restored fertility, and were even able to nurse their young. The 3-D printed ovaries have scaffolds designed in them that hold immature eggs and is constructed using gelatin that is also safe for humans. This was particularity challenging as other researchers have failed to find a method that allows the structure to be rigid enough to be handled during surgery, but yet porous enough to naturally interact with the mouse's body tissues.

This method could cause the body to naturally enter puberty, adulthood, and a natural menopause. Today hormone replacement therapies are needed to trigger puberty. Also this research could lead to future advances in soft tissue regenerative medicine. I found this article particularly interesting as I'm sure that most of us know someone that has been affected by cancer. Arranging the structure of the scaffolding to mimic the skeleton of the original organ was quite amazing to read about as most of us don't associate the word skeleton with soft tissue organs in the body. Last of all it was refreshing to read how this research will lead to more discoveries in soft tissue regenerative medicine that will ultimately benefit more types of patients. I highly recommend reading about this research that Northwestern University is pioneering.

"This research shows these bioprosthetic ovaries have long-term, durable function," said Teresa K. Woodruff, a reproductive scientist and director of the Women’s Health Research Institute at Feinberg. "Using bioengineering, instead of transplanting from a cadaver, to create organ structures that function and restore the health of that tissue for that person, is the holy grail of bioengineering for regenerative medicine."

"Most hydrogels are very weak, since they’re made up of mostly water, and will often collapse on themselves," Shah said. "But we found a gelatin temperature that allows it to be self-supporting, not collapse, and lead to building multiple layers. No one else has been able to print gelatin with such well-defined and self-supported geometry." "This is the first study that demonstrates that scaffold architecture makes a difference in follicle survival," Shah said. "We wouldn’t be able to do that if we didn’t use a 3-D printer platform."

I call bullshit. Anything that can be 3D printed can be made without one, just maybe not inexpensively.

Just let me 3D print some eye replacements that have heat vision, night vision, and binocular vision. That's all I want.

For now.

Yea, that's what I expected from Lasik. All I got was able to see better. Pfft. What a waste.

Now if they could only come up with a somewhat acceptable 3D printed version of a bearded clam we could do away with expensive mating rituals...

"Hi, Mr. Hand, would you like a beer?"

chettoad.jpg

Hate to be callous, but do we really need ways to get more people on the planet? Adopt FFS. Loads of kids out there who need a family.

Hate to be callous, but do we really need ways to get more people on the planet?
I was on a similar track but more in the line of... ok you are riddled with cancer. Is it as kind or wise idea to be passing that same heart wrenching ordeals to your children?

Natural Selection does have its positives after all.

Hate to be callous, but do we really need ways to get more people on the planet? Adopt FFS. Loads of kids out there who need a family.

I was surprised there would be a large enough market of young adults who both have cancer AND want to have kids.....both are rare on their own as it is.

EDIT: Although I guess there could be a emerging market of females who were identified as male at birth and now desire to have those pieces of anatomy that nature forgot to include in them.

gosh i hope so.. i'd stop the print just at eyebrow level! ;)

Don't bother printing her eyebrows.... she's just going to remove them and pencil them in anyway.
Might be fun to actually do the flat head and handle grip ears thing too.

This is exciting and amazing news! Now... I can finally birth my own baby! Take that feminist! Now I can do EVERYTHING better than you! *cackles maniacally*

In all seriousness it's great! While adoption is wonderful, sometimes you just want to pass on your genes... but more importantly, now we can make motherless super soldiers!

I was on a similar track but more in the line of... ok you are riddled with cancer. Is it as kind or wise idea to be passing that same heart wrenching ordeals to your children?

Natural Selection does have its positives after all.

I really don't think my message works with half of it cut away. Adoption was the point.

Besides, gene transmission is a small percentage of cancers. That a parent had it does not necessarily entail the children will.

Caitlyn Jenner is about to get ovaries.

Cue new reality shows....

"Caitlyn's having a Baby"

"Keeping up with Caitlyn"

"Bruce & Cate, plus 8"

Last edited:
Besides, gene transmission is a small percentage of cancers.
Its not that they are directly inherited. Its that often other genes are inherited that significantly increase the risk of getting cancers. Point still stands.

Back