Researchers Create Magnetic Diode That Could Boost Wireless Energy Transfer

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Researchers from the University of Sussex have reportedly defied a long-standing belief about magnetic coupling. Like a electrical diode that only lets current flow in one direction, the researchers have created a "magnetic diode" that only allows most energy to flow in one direction. The full research paper is available online, for a price, and they say the research could have a major impact on wireless power transfer.

Dr Prat-Camps said: "The magnetic coupling between magnets or circuits is something extremely well-known. It dates back to the seminal works of Faraday and Maxwell and it is deeply embedded into the four Maxwell equations that describe all electromagnetic phenomena. A vast majority of the technologies we rely on today are based on magnetic coupling including motors, transformers, low-frequency antennas and wireless power transfer devices. As far as we know, nobody before us thought to ask whether this symmetry could be broken and to what extent." The researchers are hopeful the findings could have wide implications. Technology reliant on magnetically-based wireless power transfer includes the vast majority of everyday electronic devices like mobile phones and laptops.

'Maxwell equations that describe all electromagnetic phenomena'
A certain genius who invented key components, concepts and methods we take for granted today going by the name Nikola Tesla, plus many other incredibly intelligent scientists after him would also highly question that statement but this is interesting indeed, with quite similar in execution (but a focus on magnetic instead) to how some rather curious devices have been produced in the past.
I wonder if this will be quietly shelved or not..

Reactions: dgz
like this
Clerk Maxwell was a theoretician, and invented Maxwell's A and B equations, which Nikola Tesla used extensively.
As did Einstein, and most others...

This new paper bears on non-reversible properties, that Tesla would have loved to know about.

Tesla was a great engineer, but his theories were not based on reality in some cases.
The 'cult of personality' he enjoys today is not based on history, but hype.

Transmitting power with a Tesla coil is not possible, if you want to ever develop radio technology, or meter the power.
And the losses are horrendous.
I've built a bunch of them over the years; they eventually die horribly. :)

That's why Transformers dominate the power distribution spectrum.
He did invent those, btw.
And electric motors, multiphase power, and totally pissed off Edison. :)

If he'd published it, he could have been the inventor or Radio, but Marconi beat him to publishing it.

Dr Prat-Camps’ research rips up the physics rule book by showing it is possible to make one magnet connect to another without the connection happening in the opposite direction.

The findings run contrary to long-established beliefs of magnetic coupling, which emerge from the four Maxwell equations dating back to the seminal works of Michael Faraday and James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.
It goes a lot further than this, it really defies Newton's 3rd law, if one object creates a force on another object, that other object will create the exact same force just in the opposite direction on the first. And this is absolutely fucking huge, this would allow for self acceleration of certain systems, which goes down another rabbit hole. Imagine having a magnet in space flying along at a particular speed, well that magnet pulls your spaceship with a fat magnet in the front, now normally the two magnets simply combine and our story ends with the center of mass of the system moving at the same velocity the entire time, however if the magnet on in front of you doesn't couple to the magnet on your space ship it won't feel any force to pull it back so the magnet could continue to create a force on the space ship but not feel the same one in return, net result is the center of mass accelerates.

Now I might be looking more into this because I don't feel like reading through the entire scientific paper, but definitely curious where this will go. Some part of me thinks this is like the neutrino FTL experiment... there's something the researchers are missing.

No, he is credited with induction machines, but Variable Reluctance machines, brushed DC machines were already around

How many motors do you own that have brushes? :)

I can think of only car applications (Starter has brushes, Fan motor, and alternator for sure, but he designed the alternator, pretty much.), and he was the guy that came up with multiphase DC motors.

None of the motors commonly used anywhere are brushed; none of the ones in your home almost certainly.

He made magnetic flux his bitch, and the switchers in our computers would be Huge without him.

You are right about low frequency transformers, tho.

That predated him considerably.

I have seen the 25Hz transformers at Niagara, so I should have remembered better.

I believe they took those offline in the last decade; the last thing they were running were the huge pumps in new york.

This was what I was remembering:

"On May 1, 1888 Nikola Tesla [Fig. 2.5] was issued his first set of patents for a comprehensive system of generators, transformers, synchronous motors and induction motors for the transmission and utilization of two or more alternating currents -- what came to be known as the polyphase system. Two months later, George Westinghouse [Fig. 2.6] acquired the patent rights and Tesla’s services."

How many motors do you own that have brushes? :)

I can think of only car applications (Starter has brushes, Fan motor, and alternator for sure, but he designed the alternator, pretty much.), and he was the guy that came up with multiphase DC motors.

None of the motors commonly used anywhere are brushed; none of the ones in your home almost certainly.

He made magnetic flux his bitch, and the switchers in our computers would be Huge without him.

You are right about low frequency transformers, tho.

That predated him considerably.

I have seen the 25Hz transformers at Niagara, so I should have remembered better.

I believe they took those offline in the last decade; the last thing they were running were the huge pumps in new york.

This was what I was remembering:

"On May 1, 1888 Nikola Tesla [Fig. 2.5] was issued his first set of patents for a comprehensive system of generators, transformers, synchronous motors and induction motors for the transmission and utilization of two or more alternating currents -- what came to be known as the polyphase system. Two months later, George Westinghouse [Fig. 2.6] acquired the patent rights and Tesla’s services."
Faraday created what is known as a switched reluctance motor. It was Faraday's work and maxwell's that set the stage for tesla. Brushed DC motor's are still in use today but I fail to see how their present day demise has anything todo with the proliferation in the 19C, since this was a time of DC power.

The only reason I jumped on this is because this is my job... motors .. motor-drives, power

It goes a lot further than this, it really defies Newton's 3rd law, if one object creates a force on another object, that other object will create the exact same force just in the opposite direction on the first. And this is absolutely fucking huge, this would allow for self acceleration of certain systems, which goes down another rabbit hole. Imagine having a magnet in space flying along at a particular speed, well that magnet pulls your spaceship with a fat magnet in the front, now normally the two magnets simply combine and our story ends with the center of mass of the system moving at the same velocity the entire time, however if the magnet on in front of you doesn't couple to the magnet on your space ship it won't feel any force to pull it back so the magnet could continue to create a force on the space ship but not feel the same one in return, net result is the center of mass accelerates.

Now I might be looking more into this because I don't feel like reading through the entire scientific paper, but definitely curious where this will go. Some part of me thinks this is like the neutrino FTL experiment... there's something the researchers are missing.

Yeah, but you couldn't stop and you'd also end up with all sorts of iron-ore asteroids stuck all over your spaceship.

;)

Obviously, in jest. Yeah, the implications of something like this, if it can be done, would be far-reaching. Very far-reaching.

Back