Researchers Create an MMO for Neural Networks

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
A few AI researchers have created, and recently published, a "Neural MMO" exclusively designed for reinforcement learning agents. The MMO's structure is loosely based on Runescape, which seemingly inspired the project, and the code itself contains numerous references to the Jagex game. However, the client and server are standalone pieces of software, and can be installed with a few commands on Linux (or Windows with the WSL feature enabled). The researchers claim the environment is complex and open-ended enough to effectively train large populations of AI agents, and that it contains many features you'd expect to find in regular MMOs designed for human meatbags, as well as a framework for future upgrades.

Check out a video of the AI MMO here.

This environment is the first neural MMO; it attempts to create agents that scale to real world complexity. Simulating evolution on Earth is computationally infeasible, but we can construct a reasonable and efficient facsimile. We consider MMORPGs (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) the best proxy for the real world among human games: they are complete macrocosms featuring thousands of agents per persistent world, diverse skilling systems, global economies, and ad-hoc high stakes single and team based conflict... There is almost certainly still a complexity gap from MMOs to the real world, but we believe it is much smaller than that in environments currently available. While our environment is nowhere near the level of complexity of a real MMO yet, it does contain key properties of persistence, population scale, and open-endedness. As agents begin to reach the ceiling of the current environment, we plan on continuing development to raise the ceiling.

Last edited:
This is kind of cool. First AI hamster cage?

A naturally human thing to do is to teach AI to be adversarial. The first ever game we put them into they're forced to combat each other....
Wake me when they come up with AI that don't share any code or data beyond the data that would typically be available to a human in the same situation and that can choose teams or partners and work together towards a common goal. That's a technical feat humanity can be proud of.

Wake me when they come up with AI that don't share any code or data beyond the data that would typically be available to a human in the same situation and that can choose teams or partners and work together towards a common goal. That's a technical feat humanity can be proud of.

I saw the "ai" play against other players in RTSs and was kind of pissed, they gave the damn thing the advantage with things like being able to see the whole map with no fog of war. like fuck off, put fog of war on and let that thing flounder!

Teach AI to uncover exploits, lie, cheat, and steal from other players for personal gain.

Good things are happening folks

So this AI will become a better bot than any bot before it. JESUS AI controlled NPC's that would be intense.... Until players started hunting them down and murdering them so they rise up and strike back ushering in the digital robot revolution?

Seriously though AI controlled boss encounters would make things way more interesting. Hell even AI controlled monster spawns too really make the world come alive. I am kind of excited by the possibilities behind this..

I wonder... with all this talk of AI taking over, has anyone stopped to question the end result of human children interacting with intelligent AI entities?

Imagine giving each child its own personal tutor that is able to hone in on the best methods for teaching that individual... which would never happen cause the entire billion dollar education scam er system would be threatened.

Teach AI to uncover exploits, lie, cheat, and steal from other players for personal gain.

Good things are happening folks

I can't think of a better way to educate our future political overlords.

Maybe it should play something like eve online? At least then it would also get better at excel spreadsheet data analysis.

We have enough asshole's in Eve already. No need to have ones that also never screw up. Because you and I both know that any AI that plays Eve is gonna get turned into a mega asshole in a week.

We have enough asshole's in Eve already. No need to have ones that also never screw up. Because you and I both know that any AI that plays Eve is gonna get turned into a mega asshole in a week.

yea....lol

Back