Researchers Claim That 'Twitter Psychosis' Is Real

HardOCP News

[H] News
Twitter psychosis? Ummm, I think maybe they meant "psychotic people use Twitter." :D

The article, entitled ‟Twitter Psychosis: A Rare Variation or a Distinct Syndrome?”, looked at the real-life case of a 31-year-old woman the authors called ‟Mrs. C,” who was admitted to the psychiatric ward of Charité-Universitätsmedizin hospital in Berlin, a university and medical school where the study’s authors practice.

Give me a break!

People on social media post comments with anonymity and without the fear of reprisal. Language changes a lot when you look someone in the eyes. Especially when they can react to idiotic and aggressive comments physically.

About time this is "brought up". Thought this would happen a lot earlier since Twitter has been around 8+ years.

Sometimes, she would spend several hours a day reading and writing messages, neglecting her social relationships and, sometimes, even meals and regular sleeping hours

Seems like I have heard the same behavior happening with a lot of other things computer/Internet/tech related.. even with non-tech stimulus. Just about anything in this world, to some individual, can become addicting.

- Is Computer Addiction a Unique Psychiatric Disorder? (from 2002)

- The Dark Side of the Internet - Anti-Social Behavior (from 2001)

- Internet addiction disorder (from 2005)
Many people believe that spending large amounts of time on the Internet is a core feature of the disorder. The amount of time by itself, however, is not as important a factor as the ways in which the person's Internet use is interfering with their daily functioning. Use of the Internet may interfere with the person's social life, school work, or job-related tasks at work

- How to Kick a Farmville Addiction (from 2010)

- MySpace Addiction, Understanding and Breaking the Habit (from 2007)

- 'Crackberry' Addiction (from 2006) - Within a year or so of being introduced, a Blackberry was being called a "crackberry"

DENNIS KAVELMAN: I'm not sure if you guys use Blackberry or have tried it, but it is pretty addictive.
GEOFF COLVIN: Well, it is addictive and on Wall Street they call it crackberry for exactly that reason. Once you try it you can't live without it, so they say.
—"Research In Motion — CFO — Interview," CNBC, September 29, 2000

They aren't claiming a new illness. They aren't blaming social networking.
They're simply saying that if someone is at risk for psychotic behavior, the nature of Twitter can behave as a trigger for those individuals.
That sounds about right to me.
From the article:
The authors of the study speculate that the very structure of the social network has the potential to cause problems for people who are predisposed to psychosis and are already in precarious psychological situations
The authors believe that the amount of symbolic language (caused by the limitation of 140 characters per Twitter message), the automated spam responses with seemingly related content, and the general interactive features of Twitter might combine several aspects that could induce or further aggravate psychosis.

Attention whores.
^ Lets setup a study and spend millions of $$$ and brain-power to figure that out. :rolleyes:

So much for common sense.
I guess one needs a PhD for that now.

I signed up for twitter explicitly so I could earn some shift codes. I have a good chuckle whenever someone signs up for my twitter feed...

I have a twitter account because one of my professors 2 semesters back forced us to 'follow' him so he could hand out assignments and the like. Since the end of that semester i've never logged in. Never understood the whole twitter/vine craze...

It would be nice if taxpayer / government money would stop going to fools conducting foolish research.

This is nothing new...

Kinda a Lord of the Flies thing,

All people will act strange when they perceive (this is only a perception with twitter/instagram/facebook/forum posting/whatever else ;) ) that they are anonymous or there are no consequences. You will see more "inner demons" that are held in check by society (societal expectations), others perception (societal shunning), laws (fear of repercussions), morals (fear of guilt/repercussions from the sky). BTW, these are tools used (intentionally and unintentionally) to control humanity (for good and bad) since the beginning of time.

Makes you wonder what happens when VR comes into it's own and "lawless worlds" are created. Sociologist, anthropologist?, psychologist studies will be very interesting. Makes me want to study psychology just to be able to follow this change in society and humanity (also makes me worried society as a whole). I wonder if there are economists that study virtual economies?

Back