Researchers Build Brain Controlled Bluetooth Mouse

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Researchers have developed a brain interface that can function as a regular Bluetooth mouse. A compact array of 96 electrodes receive signals from the brain, which are then decoded and translated into cursor movement and clicks with special software. Combined with Android's auto complete feature, test subjects managed to type up to 40 characters per minute, and were able to complete relatively basic tasks like checking email, browsing videos online, and reading news. While researchers are a long way away from replacing the mouse and keyboard, this still represents a dramatic usability improvement for people with little or no motor function.

To our knowledge, this is the first use of a commercial, unmodified general-purpose computing device and associated programs through a BCI by people with paralysis. The performance achieved here is high enough to be useful for individuals unable to control computing devices using conventional, manual input devices. We also note that these studies were conducted 2.75 years (T6), nine months (T9), and four months (T5) after implantation of the electrode arrays. This provides additional evidence that iBCIs can potentially provide high-quality control for extended periods of time.

Wow. I remember a story about a qudraphalegic guy who raided in wow with a group using just macros and the breathing interface. I wonder how much he'd love to have this technology to really get him into the game.

And there was me thinking someone had hooked a bluetooth dongle to a lab-mouse and they could control it :(
dissapointed

This device is going to bring VR to a whole new level.

Seriously, VR controllers and implementation sucks, but if you control that function using a headset...

Back