Researchers Are Studying VR Controlled Robotic Arms Assisting Humans

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Researchers at the Keio University Graduate School of Media Design in Tokyo have designed a set of robotic arms, worn as a backpack, that allow a second person to control them remotely through VR. The person wearing the backpack can be provided assistance with tasks by the robotic arms controlled by the VR operator. Some possible uses for the invention are physical therapy, ER technicians that could get assistance with situations unfamiliar to them, and astronauts. Warning video starts off silent.

Besides hugging and high-fiving, the operator of the robotic arms and hands can pick things up or move around the arms and hands of the human wearing the backpack. The mechanical hands can be removed and replaced with straps that go around the backpack-wearer's wrists if you want to truly remote control their arms.

Another possible application is hyperextending your joints, and tearing you apart from the comfort of a big puffy chair somewhere. :p

Maybe you could force someone to rob a bank for you. At that point though, it would be handier to just have a VR controlled robot. Unless your unsuspecting captive human becomes your patsy. :D

VR user presses a button, and the metal shackles close around the wearer's wrists. Clink! The VR user issues a couple of electric shocks to let the wearer know that they can punish him if he doesn't do what they say.

Those aside, this could have some interesting real applications. I don't know if I'd trust its precision for ER uses though...

Master Blaster!

latest?cb=20150715152956.jpg

There we go, now we can just send some poor untrained suckers to Mars and keep our highly-skilled (read expensive) staff back on Earth until we get it right. Science!

There we go, now we can just send some poor untrained suckers to Mars and keep our highly-skilled (read expensive) staff back on Earth until we get it right. Science!

I hope they're using quantum teleportation for communication. Otherwise there'll be some serious lag. :D

Some possible uses for the invention are

Remote sex... you put the pack on.. and then in VR you see a user of your choice.. while its really bob from the local hardware store controlling the arms touching you all sexy like

:)

OMFG I can't wait to get my best friend into one of those and then punch him in the face with his own hand!!! :p

Back