Researcher Infects Cyber-Scammer With Ransomware

HardOCP News

[H] News
This story is hilarious! Scumbag scammers, trying to bilk a researcher's parents out of money, get what they deserve when the security researcher turns the tables and infects the crooks system with ransomware. Hah! That is greatness. :D

A few days ago, I received a panicked call from my parents who had somehow managed to land on a (now defunct) web page (snapshot here) claiming they had been infected by Zeus. This horrible HTML aggregate had it all: audio message with autoplay, endless JavaScript alerts, a blue background with cryptic file names throwing us back to Windows' BSoD days, and yet somehow it displayed a random IP address instead of the visitor's one.

these are the type of guys i support. gray/white hackers or batman justice. not "hey you picked on me so i'm going to burn your grandma's house down" logic.

tumblr_lq1brje3JH1r1thdeo1_500.gif

I'd love to do this. I used to get calls from "Windows Company" - these are the Indian people that call and say they detected your computer is infected. I used to bitch them out, but then started wasting their time. They would tell me to hit the Window key. Is that next to the Command key (Apple keyboard), my Commodore 64 doesn't a hard drive, etc.
I started meowing every other word once. My kids were greatly amused Sadly, they haven't called in a while.

I'd love to do this. I used to get calls from "Windows Company" - these are the Indian people that call and say they detected your computer is infected. I used to bitch them out, but then started wasting their time. They would tell me to hit the Window key. Is that next to the Command key (Apple keyboard), my Commodore 64 doesn't a hard drive, etc.
I started meowing every other word once. My kids were greatly amused Sadly, they haven't called in a while.

I just hang up on an inbound call the moment I hear an Indian accent. However, if I were inclined to waste the time, I would imitate the scammer's accent and play along for purposes of amusement and irritation, as I'm often told in the online games I play that I have "the worst fake accent I've ever heard," so I can use some practice to improve upon it.

I don't answer any calls not already in my phone. I also don't have a voicemail setup.

Makes life simple.

Back