Research Project: Best timings at 2x1GB PC3200

IdiotInCharge

NVIDIA SHILL
Not a memory guy here, other than understanding that faster timings == better.

I am looking for experiences, or links to reviews/articles/products, concerning the fastest achievable timings at DDR400, in a dual channel configuration on any/all 939 CPU's, on Nforce 4 (or Nforce 3, assuming NF4 can only get better) at 1GB densities, or 2GB total.

Addendum: Does not HAVE to be PC3200, rather, anything that can pull these timings at DDR400.

Background: looking at Shuttle's up-and-coming SN25P, with NF4U. This box has only 2 memory slots like most SFF's, and I want to put in 2GB for best futureproofing. I *could* put in 1GB in 2x512, and pull off any timings I wished to aim for- BUT, when the time comes to throw in 2GB, I would have to replace both modules, and have some extra really nice ram laying around. While I would say the same thing, please spare the 'you could just send them to me' comments.

The sell: a ~3500+ 939, 2GB 3200, whatever replaces the 6800GT -or- X800 Pro (not sure if ATi created a new product for it's slot with the X850's and what-not) in PCIe.

Expose' on overclocking: while I am looking for tight timings, because this is an SFF, I have ruled out overclocking on the basis of a) stability over time, b) excess heat generation and thus excess noise. I want this thing to be a speed demon for what it is- but still be quiet, stable, and have a long life. This will be my main box, and therefore I do not wish to encounter any problems down the road, when I may or may not have the time or money to deal with them.

Sadly..

As of 10/01/04 OCZ will no longer be manufacturing EB memory.

I tried to find some and was unable to find any for sale.. you'd think they would have replaced it with something better but I honestly haven't found anything.

Corsair does have:
TWINX2048-3200C2PT at 2.5-3-3-6 for AMD

I'm in the same boat with looking for a way to get a decent 2GB in my system.

Welp, was perusing the Egg, and found this beauty . The problem now of course, is that I can find zero reviews of this stuff- and it looks perfect to me, even has a great price, for what it is.

since PDP also has some 512 sticks with samsung TCCD ic's which are rated for 2-2-2-5, im willing to bet that the giger sticks with a 2-3-2-5 timing are TCCD as well, and you might be able to pull 2-2-2-5 with a little extra voltage. alot of people have bought the 2x512 PDP (which is patriot BTW) and had good overclocking results as well as stability. id say go for it!

Good luck..

I'm interested to see how it performs with 2x1gb, I'm thinking of going to 2 gb more and more lately... :)

That's a nice stack of boxes there monster. Going with the title, when you get them in, could you share your timings at DDR400? I would love to know what is actually possible with this set, on the 939 interface.

nope, i think there used to be corsair 1gb sticks that are rated for 2-3-3, but i can't seem to find them anywhere. have a look here, but it seems that it has to drop to cas2.5 for amd systems :(

I've seen those- not in production I don't think anymore, but as for the drop to 2.5 for AMD systems, I believe that is in reference to Nforce2... with the A64 controller, I'd bet it would be as good or better than canterwood.

I'm still waiting for MonsterZero's benchmarks.

I just ordered this memory for my DAW.

I bought the Monarch PDP 2 GB kit, and it runs stable at the rated timings and speed. What surprised me because the corsair I had before needed to run at cas3 instead of 2.5 to be stable on that board

It's great that it can run at the advertised speeds...what I want to know is if/how well it can be O/C'd

I don't expect a lot from 2GB, but I do know you can do something with the stuff.

I guess I'll hve toi find out for myself in a few days.

well, 1 GB chips running stable at cas2 are not very common, and my ancient i845 chipset doesn't go past 200 MHz FSB

Pardon me-- I didn't mean to come across as rude-- I'm glad you posted-- I'm just hoping that guy would post the benches he said he would...

Cheers--

I'm sorry guys, you caught me in the middle of a move. I don't have an internet connection at home yet and don't have any of my pc/desk area set up. Give me through the weekend and I should be back up and running :)

lithium726 said:
since PDP also has some 512 sticks with samsung TCCD ic's which are rated for 2-2-2-5, im willing to bet that the giger sticks with a 2-3-2-5 timing are TCCD as well, and you might be able to pull 2-2-2-5 with a little extra voltage. alot of people have bought the 2x512 PDP (which is patriot BTW) and had good overclocking results as well as stability. id say go for it!
That can't possibly be TCCD. In order to get 1024mb on one stick, you'd have to use chips that are twice the density of TCCD.

Crucial sells Ballistix in 1Gb modules, but I'm not sure what chips those use, as nobody has them. Not m-T 5b-g, though.

Memtest doesn't bench. You mean Sandra? that ones isn't very good... the "benchmarks" are synthetic. There was a bug that tricked it into thinking i have a 10GHz P3, and Sandra gave me ridiculously high scores to go along with it. ;)

Hmm, you could try Everest home edition, that one seems to be good.

lithium726 said:

This is not how memory works. TCCD are 32x8 density chips, and it takes 16 of these to make a 512MB. It is impossible to make a 1GB modules using these chips, because you would need 32 chips and stacking isn't a realistic way to do it either. Since it is a low profile non stacked part, they must be using 64x8 density chips. And 64x8 chips come in only a few flavors.

iddqd said:
That can't possibly be TCCD. In order to get 1024mb on one stick, you'd have to use chips that are twice the density of TCCD.

Crucial sells Ballistix in 1Gb modules, but I'm not sure what chips those use, as nobody has them. Not m-T 5b-g, though.

Crucial uses Micron 64x8 DDR400 D revision die chips for their 1 GB modules

Are there are any markings on the memory itself that would indicate what it's made of?

Patriot:

Benchmark Results
RAM Bandwidth Int Buff'd iSSE2 : 6072 MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buff'd iSSE2 : 6014 MB/s

Int Buff'd iSSE2 (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 6065MB/s
Scaling : 6065MB/s
Addition : 6081MB/s
Triad : 6077MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 94% (estimated)

Float Buff'd iSSE2 (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 6049MB/s
Scaling : 6045MB/s
Addition : 6005MB/s
Triad : 5958MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 94% (estimated)

Performance Test Status
Run ID : MECHAGODZILLA on Friday, February 25, 2005 at 5:48:23 PM
Memory Used by Test : 512MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
Multi-Core Test : No
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : PP0
Page Size : 4kB
Use Large Memory Pages : No

Chipset 1
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1005MHz (2010MHz data rate)
In/Out Width : 16-bit / 16-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 8040MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Bank 0 : 1GB DDR-SDRAM 2.0-3-2-2 2CMD
Bank 1 : 1GB DDR-SDRAM 2.0-3-2-2 2CMD
Channels : 1
Bank Interleave : 2-way
Speed : 2x 201MHz (402MHz data rate)
Width : 128-bit
Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 6432MB/s (estimated)

Back