Rescuing files from an expired windows xp install

Nitron

n00b
I need to find a way to recover (preferably burn to cd and/or zip and upload) files in an expired Windows XP Home installation. Since the Windows Genuine Advantage security prevents any way of backing the files up, there are two ways so far that I've heard of to go about doing this. One is to use a bootable linux CD from what I understand.

If I were to go with the bootable linux CD route, which distro should I choose? I need something that will have the ability to zip and burn files to a cd-r easily.

The other possible way is explained here: http://tomorrowtimes.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-login-to-expired-windows.html. The problem is, all this link explains is how to access files in the default internet browser (firefox in this case). Since individually uploading each file is out of the question, is there a way to zip files via a website application of some sort? Is there a firefox compression utility plugin?

doh, forgot about fireFTP

should do the trick :cool:

if there are other ways though feel free to share

Do you have another computer to use? The quickest way is to just pull the drive and copy things over to the other computer. Both Knoppix and BartPE (a windows live disk) have network sharing support so another option would be to copy your files over a network. If none of these are viable, Knoppix does include k3b which you can use to burn cds. Good luck!

Do you have another computer to use? The quickest way is to just pull the drive and copy things over to the other computer. Both Knoppix and BartPE (a windows live disk) have network sharing support so another option would be to copy your files over a network. If none of these are viable, Knoppix does include k3b which you can use to burn cds. Good luck!
yes its hooked up to our network of two computers

they're both laptops, so its an internal laptop hd

where do I get knoppix and bartpe?

Don't even need another computer. Just go grab another hard drive, pull the original one, bung the new drive in and put Windows (or another OS) on it. Then pop the original drive back in as a secondary drive and copy the files across. You can wipe it afterwards and, lets face facts, extra drive space is always a welcome thing.

Don't even need another computer. Just go grab another hard drive, pull the original one, bung the new drive in and put Windows (or another OS) on it. Then pop the original drive back in as a secondary drive and copy the files across. You can wipe it afterwards and, lets face facts, extra drive space is always a welcome thing.
its a laptop and i dont have a spare drive

You're going to need another computer or another drive to be able to do this easily. You could follow the above advice, or use something like Ghost to recover the files as well.

Back