Requesting advice: Can't get sound to work in CalyxOS.

I bought a de-Googled Pixel 3XL with CalyxOS on it. The problem is that I can't get sound to work on the navigation programs. Can anyone advise me on how to get sound to work? This is my first smart phone.The sound programs I use are RHVoice and eSpeak TTS. On RHVoice, I downloaded the CLB voice in English.The navigation program I'm trying is OsmAnd+. Sound works during calls, ringing, and music, but not maps.

What can I do differently?

Thanks, but I already tried asking them and it didn't work out.
And the advice on this particular page is to do things I've already tried. I already have two TTS apps on my phone, and I've already downloaded a voice from the RHVoice app. When I try to use eSpeak, a message pops up saying "eSpeak is not set as your default text-to-speech engine. Would you like to set it now?" And then I click OK, and then usually a warning message pops up, saying I can't.

I've searched the navigation program's menus and couldn't find anything useful.
Someone advised me to go to Main menu -> navigation profile -> configure profile -> navigation settings -> voice prompts -> voice guidance. Then select your language. However, at first, I didn't see any menus with any of these names. After I installed eSpeak, Configure Profile menu appeared in Osmand's menu.But that Configure profile menu doesn't have a navigation settings section. Someone else told me to go to Accessibility in the Configure Profile section, because the map only tells you audio directions in Accessibility mode. In that section, I found an option labed "Audio Directions". But Audio Directions is grayed out, off, and labeled as "disabled".

I saw another website that says to go to Settings icon, then Accessibility, then Text To Speech. On my phone, Text To Speech is grayed out. And it remains grayed out when I try to change the language to English.
Another person on one of the help pages that popped up on Firefox says they needed to switch to Google TTS because "PicoTTS (the integrated speech synthesis tool). But they used something called Lineage OS, not CalyxOS. I started downloading eSpeak, but that doesn't let me change eSpeak to my default TTS.
One phone website listed all the types of phone that Osmand is compatible with. I didn't see Pixel, Google, CalyxOS, or Android on the list.

When I first got the phone, I also tried another map program, called something like Ormon or something, and that didn't work either. And that program disappeared when I did a factory reset.

Last edited:
Back