Request for domain help...

randyc

Best Person
Anyone written a guide on setting up a windows 2000 domain? with security policies and portable profiles and all that? I tried doing it in my house and miserably failed and dont like the MSDN guides.

That's a really big subject and you probably aren't going to find any guides so to speak that cover all those bases in one shot except from like microsoft.com. I know arstechnica began a windows server admin guide here very recently. Check them out, they may have what you are looking for.

If you are going to be doing roaming profiles with AD, then I highly suggest you look at the Mapped directory options under the user side of group policies ( which, strangely enough, can't be applied to groups. Does that annoy any one other than myself? ).

I have it setup here to use a linux box as a file server. With winbind, the permissions work themselves out nicely. And under their home directories, I just stick...

~/profile
~/Desktop
~/Application Data
~/My Documents
~/Start Menu

And that creates a nice, quick system login for my users, regardless of how much crap they stick in their profiles.

On a side note, I wish MS would have just gone the route that *nix did with user data: Just map out a home directory. No need to load it across the network everytime the user logs in, and certainly no need for kludges to get around this..."feature".

You can easily get around them not being able to be applied to groups by creating organizational units. It's a bit weird, but, not too much of a hassle.

Stay away from roaming profiles!!!! Just redirect everything such as start menu settings, my docs, favorites etc to their data drive for example. Roaming profiles are the devil (or at least they can be.)

yeah, i gave myself and someone else at a place i work roaming profiles to test them out, we hated them, they are a royal pain in the ass, i would stay as far away from them as i cou;d, as for setting up AD just use the wizard, it is good for someone just messin around, 2k3, has a really nice wizard and i think 2k does to but i havent messed with it in awhile.

rosco said:
You can easily get around them not being able to be applied to groups by creating organizational units. It's a bit weird, but, not too much of a hassle.
Oh, I know. But wouldn't you call them OU policies then? It's the naming that bothers me
rosco said:
Stay away from roaming profiles!!!! Just redirect everything such as start menu settings, my docs, favorites etc to their data drive for example. Roaming profiles are the devil (or at least they can be.)
They can be, if you fubar them. They are required, however, in some enviroments, and handy to have in most.

I've used them where I work for years, no problems.

They were handy in the past for me as well on NT4 Server. I've still got a client on NT4 Server that uses roaming profiles. They work fairly well now that they upgraded their infrastructure. Before, they had a slow lan so they were constantly having problems with their roaming profile.

I don't see much of a reason for a roaming profile if you've got a AD domain. You can redirect so many things and it really works well.

Because of the thousands of different environments and requirements, there is no good step-by-step quick guide to building a domain that I have ever seen.

The only 2 real requirements for a domain are 1) a domain controller and 2) a DNS server. Once you have those in place, you have a domain.

So take a Win2k Server or 2k3 system, run dcpromo, install DNS, and you are done.

Again, configuring sites, replication, profiles, DHCP, RIS, Group Policies, etc. is a huge topic. I like the Sybex books for reference if you are looking to build a library.

Well, the domain will serve really no purpose in my house, as far as functionality being we only have 3 computers + the controller, I'm just doing this so I can get some real life experience with a domain.

I took the whole folder redirection thing and set it up, now I just need to get some of the computers to join the domain, and start from there.

As for security policies, do the policies get applied to OU's or do the policies get applied for sections, say the "Users" or "computers" groups?

and how can I remotely view the computers? I saw a thing in there for "Allow Administrators to watch teh computer remotely" or somethign along those lines.

-randyc

Back