Request: Can Water Cooling get its own subforum rather than be hidden behind overclocking and cooling.

Should Water Cooling have its own subforum?

• Yes. It has grown beyond only those that are hardcore overclockers.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • No. The OP has made a useless and annoying poll.

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
Water Cooling is more popular than ever. So many new users to this forum have no idea that we have the most members with the most extensive knowledge on this aspect of building. Custom loop water cooling is no longer reserved for hardcore overclockers, it's become a driving force in keeping custom building alive(IMO). I would like to see our build thread more showcased and even some guides appear from knowledgeable users about the complex, [H], topics that are not being tackled anymore, even though more people are searching for them. I will humbly put up a poll.

Voting yes, however:

Argument for -- clear marking of topics, sorting within the forum, etc.
Argument against -- the above gatekeeping will lower visibility.

Further argument against: the need for a custom loop in terms of actual hardware, as well as the investment in time and funds required, is pretty high relative to an HSF or AIO, and the benefits pretty limited.

Further argument for: that may actually be a good thing. There's plenty of content about good looking setups with custom loops, but very little 'mainstream' engagement given the barriers to entry vs. the payoffs, so focusing the discussion may help grow the forum as well as further the community as a whole!

So I'll risk another OT warning and summon FrgMstr, since this is his forum and all.

Voting yes, however:

Argument for -- clear marking of topics, sorting within the forum, etc.
Argument against -- the above gatekeeping will lower visibility.

Further argument against: the need for a custom loop in terms of actual hardware, as well as the investment in time and funds required, is pretty high relative to an HSF or AIO, and the benefits pretty limited.

Further argument for: that may actually be a good thing. There's plenty of content about good looking setups with custom loops, but very little 'mainstream' engagement given the barriers to entry vs. the payoffs, so focusing the discussion may help grow the forum as well as further the community as a whole!

So I'll risk another OT warning and summon FrgMstr, since this is his forum and all.
Thanks for the vote. can you explain your main argument against? My poll is about less barriers to what I think would be one of the most active topics. Maybe I should clarify. I think AIO water Cooling is still water cooling. I see a ton of water cooling questions stay in the overclocking and cooling subforum where they could be better served here. I see a good deal of people post systems in other forums where we could have them in the water cooling system forum. I guess if I had my wish I would want to see Overclocking, watercooling,and air cooling, in three seperate subforums with no barrier. This is all coming from a desire to see more industry people and new people in this forum that I love.

Case in point right here: https://hardforum.com/threads/devot...t-rgbw-custom-cables.1978343/#post-1044554063
This is a really classy WC build. I love what so many have done with this case but this is a classic [H] build. Not flashy, industrial and clean. When some casual wants to see what our members can do they are naturally going to look for a water cooling build sticky. I am not saying it doesnt belong in case modding, but why the heck isnt that in in the watercooling thread? Water cooling is, I guess, niche, but not as niche as drilling and cutting on a case.

I wouldn't mind, but I kind of feel that it is even more of a travesty that there is no server/enterprise subforum...

Come on brother. I really thought I would have massive support from you.

Don't get me wrong. It would be nice. but right now I see it as six of one half dozen of another.

You want cooling, you click on the cooling subforum, and hey, there is another subforum for water cooling under that, because water cooling is a form of cooling...

I wouldn't disagree that watercooling has grown massively since the structure of the hardforums was organized. It used to be an extreme DIY thing, and now it's pretty close to mainstream.

All I'm saying is that when I want to post about water cooling, I have a place to do that today.

When I want to post about the best rack to buy, I don't really. I have to make judgment calls of where to put it among subforms that don't really match.

Last edited:
I guess I am trying to understand what is gained by moving it up to its own subforum. I feel like it kind of flows logically as it is right now.

Watercooling is a form of cooling so it is under the cooling section. Makes sense.

Just like how there are Nvidia and AMD sections under the GPU subforum, and Intel and AMD sections under the CPU and Motherboard forums.

It's kind of a logical hierarchy

I guess I am trying to understand what is gained by moving it up to its own subforum. I feel like it kind of flows logically as it is right now.

Watercooling is a form of cooling so it is under the cooling section. Makes sense.

Just like how there are Nvidia and AMD sections under the GPU subforum, and Intel and AMD sections under the CPU and Motherboard forums.

It's kind of a logical hierarchy
You are making my argument. Water Cooling should not be a subforum under overclocking. There is no brand here! Showcasing water cooling and member knowledge of said cooling can only be good for the life of these forums. We had a rep from optimus comment on a thread that I started that I felt strange about starting in the news section. You yourself have posted detailed comments to so many threads with data included that made me want to make this request.No other forum has
Zarathustra[H] or IdiotInCharge or FrgMstr for that matter. I believe that showcasing water cooling is important to these forums and I believe that because of you guys and a few others.

I kindof agree.

I don't have a logical problem with the current order - watercooling is a form of cooling and definitely helps overclocking - but it also encompasses a lot more than that in terms of motivation and use case.

You have my vote for.

You are making my argument. Water Cooling should not be a subforum under overclocking. There is no brand here! Showcasing water cooling and member knowledge of said cooling can only be good for the life of these forums. We had a rep from optimus comment on a thread that I started that I felt strange about starting in the news section. You yourself have posted detailed comments to so many threads with data included that made me want to make this request.No other forum has
Zarathustra[H] or IdiotInCharge or FrgMstr for that matter. I believe that showcasing water cooling is important to these forums and I believe that because of you guys and a few others.

I see what you mean. It's the "overclocking" part of the subforum title that throws you off.

It doesn't really bother me personally, but I guess it could throw someone off when searching for it.

I guess I am going to be annoying about this if for no other reason to get the watercooled system thread more showcased.

Is this necromancy? Any update on this?

anyone-bueller-bueller.jpg

I mean, I voted yes.

I kind of like the idea, but it is also not the biggest of deals for me.

As mentioned before, if we are going to reorganize things in the forums, there are other sections I would re-organize first.

I'd create an Enterprise/Server subforum, and in it have subgroups for Storage/NAS, Virtualized Servers, Enterprise routers/switches, etc. That is one area that I think is currently spread all over the place and not well defined today. And that's not criticism, it simply has not been the focus of the Hardforums over th eyears, but there certainly are a lot of us on here who are into that sort of thing, so it would be a nice to have.

As for watercooling, I could see it as its own subforum, and I might even like that, but I'm not offended by it being organized under Overclocking and Cooling or anything.

Back