Repurposing an old ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo with Windows 10 Pro

Mossy Rock

n00b
Hello,

I have an old ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo with an AMD FX8350 CPU that I'd like to use for some BOINC crunching. The latest drivers and firmware for this mobo are dated to August 2016 so obviously this mobo is not supported any longer with any updates.

My question is - Is anyone running the current release of Windows 10 Pro on this configuration without problems? If so, what kind of problems, if any, did you encounter putting Windows 10 on it?

How about current graphics cards with it? While I'm planning to use only its CPU power for some BOINC projects in the beginning, one day when the GPU prices come down I may add a current GPU board.

Before I invest any time and money into this project, I'd like to get a feel of if it's worth it or not. I'd hate to throw the mobo out if it makes sense to resurrect it at a minimum cost.

Thanks.

I ran mine with 10 pro couple years ago and only the audio driver wasn't supported anymore. I believe it was azalia audio so I just used hdmi audio via a rx 580. Again this was a couple years ago so I can't speak for more current versions of 10.

I've ran Win10 on way older systems than that (~2006 AMD Turion) with no issues. Despite the shortcomings, Microsoft finally got the drivers right in Windows 10 and I rarely have to add anything. I would not hesitate to run Win10 on 990FX.

I have no experience with AMD from that era but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I had a P35 chipset based Core2Quad system running 10 not that long ago and that platform is older. I didn't bother trying to find drivers or anything like that from manufacturer sites but used the drivers included with 10.

If you're not dead set running Windows you could also run Linux on that machine and it likely wouldn't have any problems. It was only about a month ago I retired another Core2Quad system but this one on the 965p chipset which was the first one released for Core2Duo. It was running Linux just fine and crunching away happily on BOINC. As far as I could tell everything worked just fine on it. I can't absolutely 100% guarantee that sound was working since no speakers were hooked up to that system for years but all software and drivers indicated the integrated audio was found and ready to be used.

Hello,

I have an old ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo with an AMD FX8350 CPU that I'd like to use for some BOINC crunching. The latest drivers and firmware for this mobo are dated to August 2016 so obviously this mobo is not supported any longer with any updates.

My question is - Is anyone running the current release of Windows 10 Pro on this configuration without problems? If so, what kind of problems, if any, did you encounter putting Windows 10 on it?

How about current graphics cards with it? While I'm planning to use only its CPU power for some BOINC projects in the beginning, one day when the GPU prices come down I may add a current GPU board.

Before I invest any time and money into this project, I'd like to get a feel of if it's worth it or not. I'd hate to throw the mobo out if it makes sense to resurrect it at a minimum cost.

Thanks.
All current GPU's support Win10. It is compatible with any modern card that is PCI-e. What card currently do you plan to use with it?

I was running a Gigabyte GA-970 SLI with an FX-8320 and Vega 64 on latest Win10 until I upgraded a couple months ago. No issues. Windows 10 is amazing at backwards compatibility, I'm also running 20H2 on a Penryn Dell Latitude from like 2009 and it works flawlessly.

I had that Sabertooth board with Windows 10 on it a couple of years ago, ran great, used it as my Plex Server. I actually sold the board to a member here a couple of years ago too.
I have a few machines from 2008 that I ran Win 10 on, the last one was daily driven till just a few months ago, Gigabyte board with a modded X5640 Xeon.
IMG_0872.JPG

All current GPU's support Win10. It is compatible with any modern card that is PCI-e. What card currently do you plan to use with it?
Hey, I've got a ASUS GTX 650 that I'm going to use. Nothing much in the way of power so it'll just be for a monitor while doing the set-up work. Otherwise, the machine will be headless in a rack.

I have no experience with AMD from that era but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I had a P35 chipset based Core2Quad system running 10 not that long ago and that platform is older. I didn't bother trying to find drivers or anything like that from manufacturer sites but used the drivers included with 10.

If you're not dead set running Windows you could also run Linux on that machine and it likely wouldn't have any problems. It was only about a month ago I retired another Core2Quad system but this one on the 965p chipset which was the first one released for Core2Duo. It was running Linux just fine and crunching away happily on BOINC. As far as I could tell everything worked just fine on it. I can't absolutely 100% guarantee that sound was working since no speakers were hooked up to that system for years but all software and drivers indicated the integrated audio was found and ready to be used.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion for Linux. Unfortunately it's got to be Windows since it will be running in an integrated crunching farm with tons of prewritten scripts that tie the machines together with the console/controller. If I could do it all over again it would definitely be some flavor of Linux.

I'm currently on a PC with that exact MOBO and CPU on Windows 10, and it works great. It performs decently well with a decent graphics card, only fails on the CPU test that was on 3DMark's benchmark. The rest ran smoothly on the benchmark, so this desktop will be fine until I eventually get new MOBO that can support newer chipsets that are better than this current one.

Back