Reports about Ryzen 7 being smoother than intel

tybert7

2[H]4U

They talk about it there. I suspect this has to do with many modern games making full use of quad core / 8 thread parts that target intel i7 models, but when there is any sort of background process that crops up in windows, that hits those intel quads more than it does something like ryzen 7.

If you are going for ryzen 5 like I am, shoot for the 1600 or 1600x to avoid the same issue on only having a quad. Maybe that windows 10 "game mode" will minimize the effects of the hits to smoothness by reducing incidental background spikes while gaming, or not. We'll see.

An analysis of frame times should be sufficient to determine smoothness. If it is feeling smoother, that is something that cannot be accurately determined without double-blind tests.

From the little bits I have seen here and there, frame times have generally been similar if FPS is similar. A completely different story when multitasking is involved. Streaming most likely favors higher core counts as well.

An analysis of frame times should be sufficient to determine smoothness. If it is feeling smoother, that is something that cannot be accurately determined without double-blind tests.

From the little bits I have seen here and there, frame times have generally been similar if FPS is similar. A completely different story when multitasking is involved. Streaming most likely favors higher core counts as well.

I think the small issue folks forget to account for is, that unlike reviewers that use fresh windows installs with little to no other software installed, users have tons of garbage eating up cpu cycles and ram. With enough garbage running in the background it can really hamper cpu performance.

Though in some cases some of us just love have 75+ tabs open at all times with multiple videos loaded up on em (we'll get around to them eventually!) And also having netflix/hulu/hbonow/ect running so we can watch Demolition Man and make jokes about how delicious rat burgers must be..... errrr ummmm....

What I mean to say is people have stuff always running in the background and cores can make a difference in situations you didn't realize your were getting lower than expected performance. I think that is the reason some are saying "smoother" even though frametimes results are showing that Ryzen and AMD basically just caught up to Intel in that department.

I can't watch that at work and I'm not sure I'd waste that much time on it anyway. That said, I don't know if they are comparing the Ryzen 1700/1700X/1800X to the Core i5/i7 LGA 1151 CPUs or Broadwell-E's 6 or 8 core offerings, or both. I can tell you that I've always noticed a difference in smoothness between the Core i5 and i7 CPUs. I wouldn't have a Core i5 for that very reason and I hate testing with them. It's that obvious to me even doing simple multitasking that the i7 7700K is better than the i5 7600K for virtually anything. I know the benchmarks don't always show a difference but I can feel it. On the other hand I doubt you'd be able to tell any difference between a Ryzen CPU with 8c/16t and an Intel system with 8c/16t in games or otherwise outside of stop watch testing or benchmarking. General use on my 5960X based system and my Ryzen 1700 system feels the same. I haven't played games on the Ryzen system and without more GTX 1080Ti's to test with I wouldn't be able to go "apples to apples" with such a test anyway.

Last edited:
Ryzen has 4 USB 3.0 or 3.1 (depends on motherboard) that are TIED to CPU, without a chipset. Exactly like PCI-E/RAM/M2.
You can check any motherboard, B350 or X370. On 4 slots, it says "Ryzen CPU" or something similar.
Basically NO latency, the game responds before any video processing and that's why it feels so smooth even if it has lower fps than Intel.

On all Z170 / Z270 / X99 boards, the USB needs a chipset. Just search for diagrams on Intel and then on Ryzen.

Ryzen has 4 USB 3.0 or 3.1 (depends on motherboard) that are TIED to CPU, without a chipset. Exactly like PCI-E/RAM/M2.
You can check any motherboard, B350 or X370. On 4 slots, it says "Ryzen CPU" or something similar.
Basically NO latency, the game responds before any video processing and that's why it feels so smooth even if it has lower fps than Intel.

On all Z170 / Z270 / X99 boards, the USB needs a chipset. Just search for diagrams on Intel and then on Ryzen.

The reduction on latency from adding the IO to the SoC is insignificant. Testing RyZen vs BDW-E shows that 8-core Broadwell has the same or better smoothing than RyZen,

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc0.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc9.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc1.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc10.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc2.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc11.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc3.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc12.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc4.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc13.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc5.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc14.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc6.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc15.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc7.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc16.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc8.png

29_amd_ryzen_7_1800x_vs_intel_core_i7_6900k_analiza_wydajnosci_nc17.png

People reporting smoothness is comparing 8-core vs 4-core and with background tasks.

The reduction on latency from adding the IO to the SoC is insignificant. Testing RyZen vs BDW-E shows that 8-core Broadwell has the same or better smoothing than RyZen,

People reporting smoothness is comparing 8-core vs 4-core and with background tasks.

So how much hands on experience do you have with Ryzen?

Back