Reported Cases Of Webcam Blackmail Double

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's the best way to bring down the number of webcam blackmail cases? Don't be a dumbass. When is the last time someone legitimately wanted you to wag your wiener in front of a webcam? Never? Now add in the fact that this is a complete stranger asking you to do this. Ta-da! Mystery solved! Quit being an idiot. :D

The NCA's Anti-Kidnap and Extortion unit has seen 864 cases of financially motivated webcam blackmail so far this year, up from 385 for the whole of 2015. The NCA believes the true number is a lot higher, though, due to significant under-reporting. Most victims (95 percent) were men or boys; men between 21 and 30 represent the largest group, but boys between 11 and 20 were also a "substantial portion."

The level of "lack of self responsibility" in the world is starting to hit an all time high. I can't really speak for other countries but here in the US it's starting to really piss me off.

You get caught wagging your penis on the camera? Blame the people on the other end, or your mother. But it's not your fault.

The level of "lack of self responsibility" in the world is starting to hit an all time high. I can't really speak for other countries but here in the US it's starting to really piss me off.

You get caught wagging your penis on the camera? Blame the people on the other end, or your mother. But it's not your fault.

Agreed. if people would admit to their self responsibility they would see how much power they have to change situations around them. but since the high-school popularity contest has now been expanding into adult life, there is no time to actually learn and use the brain anymore. Everything is for popularity

Most the standard laptop build now come with a built in web camera. It would cost more for me to do a special build without the webcam.
So, some users put a sticker over the webcam, cheap solution that have no problem with.

How do you blackmail an 11-year-old boy nude and not worry about going to the slammer for a very long time? It takes some serious desperation for this.

If you were caught doing that in my company, tell me why i shouldn't beat your face black and blue in front of all of the other employees including the victims as a way of saying your ass is fired while asking what the fuck is wrong with you.
Then I'd also probably turn to the victims and ask what the fuck is going on in that horny over-testosterone'd head to make you fall victim to the behaviors of primates. Seriously, both sides in stories like this piss me off because both sides are misbehaving.

It also doesn't help that it's not hard to activate the webcam once you're in the system. Hence why the piece of tape method is good.

Do any laptop manufactures actually build in a webcam cover into their screen? (you'd think it would be a really easy to implement and advertise feature) Or are they all limited to stickers?

There's no mention of phone cameras, as every teenager has one these days, I'm sure some of the cases involve them.

Male victims? Impossible, only females can be sexually harassed! /S

But seriously if you're willing to show your junk to a random stranger then why would you care if others saw it too, not exactly great blackmail. Also if someone sent a pic of my junk to my boss they would go after that person not me. I mean my boss wouldn't be happy about having to see that but whatever we're adults and will get over it.

Eh, nothing wrong with waving your genitalia in front of a camera and showing it to kids. Just try to get into politics before that.

Black Mirror Season 3 Episode 3. Watch it up on Netflix like others have said.

Back