Report: PS4 Pro ‘Boost Mode’ improves performance on some older games

They just released Beta 3 of the new BIOS, so clearly they're still tinkering with it.

Nice. I am actually holding off on playing my PS4 Pro (on older games) until the patch is released.

Sony has announced that firmware 4.50 is officially being released tomorrow (March 9th)

I got a pro today and just had time to hook it up and do some setup, could have sworn first thing it did was download update 4.50. Hilariously my copy of horizon won't be here until Saturday. I want bloodborne and nioh but will probably grab uncharted series just for something to play until I can sink NY teeth into horizon. Then bloodborne then nioh probably.

Sony has announced that firmware 4.50 is officially being released tomorrow (March 9th)

4.50 is out!

Boost mode on PS4 Pro:

I haven't timed it using a stopwatch but my seat-of-the-pants timing tells me load times in Bloodborne are *twice* as fast. Framerates are just a shade more steady but since the game is capped at 30fps, boost doesn't do much here. Holy hell, didn't think the load times would be that much faster.

Edit: I should mention the default spinner HD was replaced by an SSD. Not sure why boost mode would create such a dramatic increase in storage speed. Whatever it does seems to now take full advantage of the SSD.

4.50 also adds external HDD support which is a pretty big deal as well (compatible with HDDs up to 8TB in size)

I haven't timed it using a stopwatch but my seat-of-the-pants timing tells me load times in Bloodborne are *twice* as fast. Framerates are just a shade more steady but since the game is capped at 30fps, boost doesn't do much here. Holy hell, didn't think the load times would be that much faster.

Edit: I should mention the default spinner HD was replaced by an SSD. Not sure why boost mode would create such a dramatic increase in storage speed. Whatever it does seems to now take full advantage of the SSD.

From an SSD perspective, it's still a failure with Bloodborne from testing. Using a Samsung 850 Evo, it only shaves off another second than without Boost Mode. Still, a second is a second I guess.

Using 4.5 and an external SSD (Evo) and USB 3.1 case I see approximately 50% reduction in Horizon or more and GTA V is vastly improved on initial load.

Horizon fast travel load times are significantly faster as well.

*note* I have boost mode enabled

Initially I had the external on the front USB with the Platinum headphone USB dongle on the back. When I did this my controllers had horrible lag and connection issues. Once I moved it to the back and put the dongle up front it fixed those issues.

No Wifi issues like others have mentioned around the net.

Notifications are dumb as hell now, I have no idea why they changed it.

I like the stock UI look so I haven't messed with backgrounds but they could expand options instead of only allowing screenshots.

Having the external SSD for active games is game changing and I can't go back.

I also put Plex and all media apps on the SSD and didn't really notice a difference on initial loads.

I tested an SSD internally and the speeds were not much faster if at all. Compared to external using USB 3.1 it's stupid to mount a spinner and use SSD internally.

Mount a 2TB SSHD internally and use an external SSD for best experience.

Back