Report: iPad 3 to be Announced in First Week of March

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If the rumors are true, those of you waiting for the release of the iPad 3 are getting close to the magic moment. Word has it that Apple will make the release announcement in the first week of March with the actual product shipping a week later.

So while every rumor or report which is based on mysterious, unnamed sources should be taken with some salt, we have a hunch that the odds are good that this one will pan out.

A device similar in form factor to the iPad 2, but running a much faster chip, sporting an improved graphics processing unit, and featuring a 2048×1536 Retina Display — or something close to it.

That's a pretty massive resolution for such a small device!

Maybe we will see some clearance prices on the iPad 2 like we did with the original iPad :p

2048x1536? I'm pretty sure that's just a rumor with great exaggerated.

Something more believable is a A6 quad core chip, 1GB of ram all the while managing ~10 hours of use.

If they bump the resolution I'm going to rage.. I just got an ipad the other day

All I want to know is are any other companies releasing their own third gen powerhouse tabbies? (Am I cool enough to say tabbies?)

I want to finally get in on this flat high res panel in your hand goodness.

If they bump the resolution I'm going to rage.. I just got an ipad the other day

so you must be new to the apple club... apple releases product v1 - 6 months later v2,, 6 months later v3, all the while claiming that the new version has things that they couldn't POSSIBLY of included in the last... :rolleyes:

so you must be new to the apple club... apple releases product v1 - 6 months later v2,, 6 months later v3, all the while claiming that the new version has things that they couldn't POSSIBLY of included in the last... :rolleyes:

The iPad 2 launched March last year, the original was a year prior to that. What the fuck are you talking about?

phone: android

sounds about right in my experience

How quickly was your Android outdated?

If the resolution is what the rumors say it will be, I will be extremely tempted to get one. I mostly use my first generation ipad for streaming video, and that would benefit greatly from the increased resolution.

I bought the first one used back in June, and current prices are close to what I paid for it, so if the retail price is the same as the previous generation, it won't cost much to upgrade. I do expect to downgrade from 64gb to 16gb, but hey, I don't exactly need my music collection on the device.

i don't own an android phone, but nice try :) (nokia e71 from work)

i thought the ipad2 was out alot sooner than that from the first gen, 1 year thas all good then :)

i don't own an android phone, but nice try :) (nokia e71 from work)

i thought the ipad2 was out alot sooner than that from the first gen, 1 year thas all good then :)

Apple's products are yearly releases. It doesn't always seem like it, but they update their product lines once a year, the updates are spaced out throughout the year. It's standard practice among all phone and compute manufactures.

lol I'll call bullshit on that resolution.

Rumors about the iPad 3's resolution upgrade have been very consistent, not just this week but for months now, and there is good evidence that it's going to be a Retina display. At this point it would be a huge, front-page-of-the-New-York-Times worthy scandal if it wasn't that high of a resolution.

Contrast this to the Nvidia rumor mill where we don't even know what month the new cards are coming out and estimates of their performance are all over the place. Lots of BS going on there.

lol I'll call bullshit on that resolution.

The Asus Transformer Prime HD tablet (releasing in 3 or 4 months) is going to have a 1920x1200 display, so the iPad 3 having a 2048x1536 display isn't beyond the realm of possibility IMO.

I like how 23" desktop monitors are stuck at 1920x1080 while a 10" tablet gets 2048x1536.

I like how 23" desktop monitors are stuck at 1920x1080 while a 10" tablet gets 2048x1536.

Yes and no. My guess is that the bulk of things will run at an real resolution 1024x768 Driving that resolution natively will be tough to do in most 3D apps and that most apps will still target the old resolution.

Seriously. If they can fit 2048x1536 on a $600 10'' tablet, I don't see why they couldn't fit 4k on a $1000+ 30'' monitor.

Not surprising, was expecting as much honestly. Apple needed a device to compete with the Transformer Prime. In 6 months Asus will one up the iPad 3 and then Apple will again next march and so on and so forth.

Nothing new here.

Not surprising, was expecting as much honestly. Apple needed a device to compete with the Transformer Prime. In 6 months Asus will one up the iPad 3 and then Apple will again next march and so on and so forth.

Nothing new here.

The iPad 2 still has the best GPU on the market so they don't really need something to compete with the Prime.

Yes and no. My guess is that the bulk of things will run at an real resolution 1024x768 Driving that resolution natively will be tough to do in most 3D apps and that most apps will still target the old resolution.

Eh... I sort of doubt it. If you go by how bad most original iPhone apps look on the high resolution iPhone4/4S screen, I really can't see Apple (a company that tends to care a great deal about aesthetics) switching to a 'retina' display in the new iPad unless it could run everything smoothly at that resolution. If it's really getting a high resolution display, I'm guessing the new A6 SOC is going to be a powerhouse compared to the A5 to make up for the extra pixels.

Looking forward to it. Still have my iPad 1. Goal has been to upgrade when the 3 comes out.

The iPad 2 still has the best GPU on the market so they don't really need something to compete with the Prime.
The only question is whether the current GPU in the A5 is capable enough to drive the interface acceptably at 2048x1536. I think the answer to that is "yes", but I suspect the A6 will sport a more capable GPU regardless.

Doesnt surprise me at all. Haters gonna hate Apple, but they consistently have high quality screens across their entire portfolio.

Back