Report: HTC May Sell Either Part or All of Its Business

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
HTC is exploring options that could range from separating off its virtual-reality business to a full sale of the company: the latter, however, is unlikely, being that its business portfolio is too diverse to fit with any single potential acquirer.

HTC’s market value has slumped about 75 percent in the last five years to $1.8 billion as its smartphone market share dipped below 2 percent. The Taoyuan City-based firm has been attempting to refocus its growth prospects on the high-end VR business, with shipments of the Vive headset totalling more than 190,000 units in the first quarter, according to research firm IDC. HTC also has a contract manufacturing deal to assemble Google’s Pixel handset.

I always liked HTC, but i have not bought one of their products in a long time... android 2.3 or something.

The last 5 (almost 6) years of smart phones for me: HTC G2, One M8, and HTC 10. I won't buy the 11 since they removed the headphone jack and switched away from the look of the One series. I don't want another iPhone/Galaxy clone, and HTC was really the only one still making industrial looking phones. I wish them luck, and I'm bummed the M7/M8/M9/10 didn't sell better (as they're all gorgeous phones), but it looks like they just can't get a break in the phone market any longer.

Didn't see this coming. Horrible customer service and mediocre products.

I have a M7 Loved the phone. Still works. Every year they would release a phone I didn't like. I don't understand how they can screw up every year releasing a phone I don't want. When the M7 is still my fav phone.
I want a removable battery, memory card support. keep the twin speakers I liked it. upgrade the camera and processor and screen. Done I'll buy it.

Not take away the stereo speakers and headphone jack and pretty much make it a iphone look alike. I bought the phone because it was different. so why would you try to make your phone like everyone else.

Or atleast give me a huge battery. I don't want the phone to be small. I want a battery that will last over 1 day.

I once owned an HTC something and this is my personal story...

I own an HTC HD7, HTC 8X and HTC One M8 for Windows, all very solid phones. (Just wish they would have properly supported them long term.) The One M8 camera was not so good but everything else about it was fantastic. The 8X was perfect in it size and weight but, I dropped it and damaged the power button. I sold the HD7 when I bought the 8X.

I have a M7 Loved the phone. Still works. Every year they would release a phone I didn't like. I don't understand how they can screw up every year releasing a phone I don't want. When the M7 is still my fav phone.
I want a removable battery, memory card support. keep the twin speakers I liked it. upgrade the camera and processor and screen. Done I'll buy it.

Not take away the stereo speakers and headphone jack and pretty much make it a iphone look alike. I bought the phone because it was different. so why would you try to make your phone like everyone else.

Or atleast give me a huge battery. I don't want the phone to be small. I want a battery that will last over 1 day.
Because they have some executive with a chart that says the general public is full of idiots who only want $800 superslim phones without any expandability and without any long term support.

Back