Report: Apple’s Next Flagship Will Be Called the iPhone X

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to a report by Dutch site iCulture, the iPhone 8 will not be the name given to Apple’s top-tier phone, as many have been led to think: this year’s actual flagship will be dubbed the iPhone X (pronounced iPhone “10”). The name is somewhat credible, being that 2017 is the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. Others claim that it’ll be called the iPhone Edition.

It was clear from the very first rumors that this year’s flagship iPhone wouldn’t follow the usual naming scheme and be called the ‘7s.’ 2017 is the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone, after all, so Apple was surely aiming for something more dramatic to celebrate. The names iPhone ‘Edition’ and iPhone X have floated around before too, but for some reason the tech media – myself included – settled on calling it the iPhone 8. iPhone X seems the most reasonable choice. It’s been 10 years since the original, which the ‘X’ commemorates without looking like Apple suddenly skipped a few generations.

Ew. I preferred the other rumored names for it. I was actually fond of the name iPhone Edition. It was dumb, but fit the idea if being a way to honor the 10th anniversary. iPhone X does the same thing, but I find the name much less interesting. Reminds me of the Droid X and about a million other devices that have used X.

Interesting name. I just hope that it won't be in the ~$1200 range rumors were expecting it to be!

So, according to rumors, it was going to be called IPhone 8, iPhone 10, iPhone X, iPhone.

Rumors are awesome *sarcasm*

this is going to be a sick phone, will definitely be picking it up. Gotta get rid of this 6S Plus now.

Back