Report: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Undergoing 12nm Transformation

It has to be a harvested part. They must think there is enough demand for ultra cheap desktops for it to be worth their while. The 1600 AF fills that role quite nicely already IMHO. This would need to be like a $65 part.

Reactions: kac77
like this
There is definitely demand. OEMs will line up for an ultra cheap CPU they can list as a 6c/12t "Ryzen".

It has to be a harvested part. They must think there is enough demand for ultra cheap desktops for it to be worth their while. The 1600 AF fills that role quite nicely already IMHO. This would need to be like a $65 part.
A 6 core at like $65 bucks is insane. My intel 6 core was will over $600. Man how times have changed.

Here in Europe there are plenty of people who have simple needs and don't see much difference between CPUs. Two relatives of mine for their office PCs, still run AM2+ and AM3 Athlon IIs (dual and quad cores) and are perfectly happy for browsing and Word. Nor do gamers run to grab the first EUR200 motherboard they see, like Americans do. In my local Amazon the most sold AM4 motherboards (going by number of reviews), are by far 3 sub EUR85 Gigabytes and 2 sub EUR120 Gigabyte B450. Even the ASUS A320M-K has many reviews. As for CPUS, Ryzen 2600, 2600x and 2700, 2700X have 15.000 reviews each, while Ryzen 3600 has 3100 and higher models 1500. Ryzen 3200g and 3400g have about 650 each.

So yeah, maybe in USA you all run 8 core 3000 as baseline, but in other parts of the world, people do buy cheap parts.

I expect it's just a placeholdr for the eventual Ryzen 2 APU desktop parts. I would expect the prices for single-die Ryzen 2 APU parts to drop to 250 for 8c/16th, then $150 for 6c/12th , $100 for 6c/6th, and $65 for 4c/4th,

On mobile, 4c/4th is as low as AMD will go. So the dual-core is currently dead. :D

Zen 3 will probably have similar prices to the Zen 2 launch, except maybe ditch the $50 premiu for a $100 clock bump. Might see the 16 coes come dpwn a bit, but will still be plenty of reason to charge the price premium.

Back