Replacing video card

Hey guys,

I currently have an ATI Radeon 6900 Video Card. I have an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Motherboard and I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I would like to replace my ATI Radeon 6900 Video Card with a comparable or better Nvidia Graphics Card. It will be used in a HTPC hooked up to a 42" Plasma TV using HDMI. It will be used to watch 1080p content using MadVR so I need it to have the best picture quality. Supporting 4K content would be nice but not a necessity.

Any help is greatly appreciated

why from Radeon to Nvidia? Also which 6900 card, there was 6930-6950-6970-6990 hard to seek a replacement without proper working knowledge of the card in question. Comparable wise to say a 6950 would be a 760 or better.

750 Ti while great card in regards to power vs performance is not if looking at overall performance and certainly not in the price category, and a 6930 would edge out a 750Ti granted using more power in the process.

I'd have to say the 750 Ti is the card to beat, especially at the price.

Took a quick look at GPUBench14 and while they didn't have the 6930 listed they did have the higher 6970 which while winning some, the 750 Ti matched and sometimes beat especially in the newer titles.

I personally wouldn't buy a 2-3 year old card vs the next gen Maxell. Paper specs aren't the whole story.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure the exact model of the ATI Video Card. I originally had someone install the ATI Video Card but I would like to do this installation myself. What are the steps to remove the ATI Video card and install the Nvidia Card? Does the Nvidia Video Card use the same cable connections in my PC as the Radeon (6pin and 8 pin)? When should I uninstall the ATI drivers? Before I connect the Nvidia Video Card?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I removed the ATI Radeon 6900 Video Card and installed the Nvidia 760 GTX Video. I installed the drivers from the disk and then installed the latest drivers. Unfortunately when watching movies colors seem way too dark. I have an older PC (with an Nvidia GTX 460) connected to the same TV as the PC with the Nvidia 760 GTX and movies are much brighter. I have the exact same settings in Nvidia's Control Panel on both PC's. Both PC's are connected by HDMI. In settings I have RGB set on both PC's. Raising the brightness of the TV doesn't really help. Increasing the brightness in Nvidia's control panel makes the picture quality in movies slightly faded.

Please help.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I removed the ATI Radeon 6900 Video Card and installed the Nvidia 760 GTX Video. I installed the drivers from the disk and then installed the latest drivers. Unfortunately when watching movies colors seem way too dark. I have an older PC (with an Nvidia GTX 460) connected to the same TV as the PC with the Nvidia 760 GTX and movies are much brighter. I have the exact same settings in Nvidia's Control Panel on both PC's. Both PC's are connected by HDMI. In settings I have RGB set on both PC's. Raising the brightness of the TV doesn't really help. Increasing the brightness in Nvidia's control panel makes the picture quality in movies slightly faded.

Please help.

Read this. Fixes in the thread :) :
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729604

Back